Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, but not perfect, August 14, 2009
This review is from: Wacom Intuos4 Medium Pen Tablet (Academic Version) (Personal Computers)
Okay Everyone,

I could ohhh and awww over this thing just like everybody else, but we all know it's an outstanding product. However, I was a little disappointed with Wacom's progress since the early versions of Intuos.

* It is still jumpy in Adobe Illustrator CS4 if you use quick motions. When you slow it down, it works well, but sometimes you want to be more expressive. I'm on a MacPro with 2x 3Ghz dual cores running 16 GB of memory, so it's probably not my machine that's lagging.

* Corel Painter 11 does some really funky stuff when you get a larger brush with a lot of effects on it. It doesn't jump, but it tries to catch up to your movements seconds after you're done painting. That's probably Corel. I've never been fully confident in their technology.

* Photoshop works like a charm. No complaints there.

* The size was a little misleading. They give you the dimensions of the whole thing or "48.5 square inches of working area." For the record, the medium is only 9.25" x 5.75" so if you have another hundred smackers, go for the large.

* I love the styling and removable USB cord. It works with a standard mini USB cable, so you can leave one at work and take it home and use the cord that came with that digital camera or old motorola phone or your child's outdated MP3 player that sits in the toybin collecting dust.

* Of course the scoll wheel is awesome. I've seen some complaints about it, but I don't think people are going in and programming it according to what they want to use it for. You can also adjust the speed/sensitivity if you have a heavy hand.

* The price is awesome. I don't know if I just wasn't paying attention before, but it seems as if they were more expensive in the past. The last time I bought one was in '99 and I could swear they were more pricey. I know I couldn't have bought the equivalent of a large tablet for $418 dollars, so GOOD JOB WACOM.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2009 9:13:41 PM PDT
ViciousXUSMC says:
Only the newest version of photoshop (CS4) has a 64bit executable so that it can use more than 4GB of ram. This is only on Windows, so your 16GB of ram is doing nothing for you on that expensive mac machine. Even with CS4 on my windows based laptop with 6gb of RAM it only used about 2.XGB of RAM until I went into photoshop options and manually told the program it was allowed to use about 5GB of RAM, just a heads up for you.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 8:35:14 PM PDT
The jumpiness is most likely your settings in photoshop, not the tablet. Try lowering the "spacing" percentage value in the brush settings (by default photoshop leaves this at about 15%, causing the dotting effect you may be experiencing. That should solve your issue. Make sure you learn your settings to get the most out of the tablet.

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 4:03:21 PM PST
PD says:
"so if you have another hundred smackers, go for the large"

LOL! Haven't heard smackers in a while, cracked me up.

Great review, I may just spend the extra smackers. Have you tried the suggestion in the comments about spacing percentage, and if so, did it work? However, I did see that you said there were no issues with Photoshop which is what I'd use it for (CS5), so I'm just wondering if it's smooth with PS. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 6:04:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2010 6:17:01 PM PST
Shanky Jones says:
Kangovic. Thanks for the Photoshop lesson.
Here's a lesson for you: actually read my review before telling me what to do. I said Photoshop works like a charm. I've been using Abobe products since 96 and am fully aware of brush settings.

With that said, the problem with illustrator was resolved with CS5. Everything I had read explained that CS4 was a patched up CS3 anyways and to hold tight till the new release.

PD, I've done some work in Photoshop CS5 that looks like real pencil sketches. It is way smooth. I wrote this thing a year ago and have since bought a large one for the house. I'm glad I coughed up the extra smackers to get it. Have fun with it!

Oh and VICIOUSXUSMC, here's a heads up for you. Your comments are irrelevant. Quit trying to start a PC/Mac war. I don't care about your silly laptop. Do you have something to contribute regarding the tablet? SHUUUUUUUUSH.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 6:21:34 PM PST
PD says:
Thanks for the fast reply! I'm eating Ramen Noodles for the next month so I can go for the Large. ;-)

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 12:46:13 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 2, 2011 12:46:47 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 12:50:04 PM PST
napaV says:
An area of 9.25" by 5.75" is actually greater than 48.5 square inches right? Is this still not ample space? Also, does anyone know how the "academic version" differs from the regular version?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 1:04:26 PM PST
Shanky Jones says:
It is ample space depending on your movements. And if your monitor is larger than 27" it will seem like the ratio is off. I bought the academic at home and regular at work and there is no difference... Except academic is cheaper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›