5.0 out of 5 stars What should've been the Wii remote in the first place comes better late than never., November 22, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Remote Plus - White (Video Game)
When I first tried the Wii, I was like everyone else: I expected it to have 1:1 movement sensitivity. Trying Zelda, I was baffled at why Link wasn't corresponding to my arm placement. After being schooled in the gyration of the remote, I just learned you have to swing it and the game assumes what you're doing.

Fast forward to 2009, and we have the MotionPlus accessory. As already mentioned in one of my previous reviews, the MotionPlus adds what the remote should've had in the first place: near one-to-one sensitivity. (After trying the PlayStation Move, I've found that that has better accuracy.) I was ecstatic about this feature, and played such MotionPlus games as Wii Sports Resort quite often. However, I found that the switching in and out of the MotionPlus and jacket became cumbersome, and soon opted for games that did not use the MotionPlus (the remote was a lot smaller and comfortable without it).

Fast forward yet again, to 2010, and I recall hearing rumors about the MotionPlus being built in in some Nintendo patents from Japan. Soon, Nintendo officially announced it, and I kept waiting for the North American release. Well, here we are, and we finally have what should've been the Wii remote to begin with.
They're exactly the same as the previous models, but with MotionPlus inside (cue the stamped reminder on the bottom front). However, I noticed that the blue lights indicating the player are somewhat brighter. Not sure if it's me, or if the lights just die out over time, but it was apparent when playing games in the dark. The blue and pink Wii remotes still come with clear silicone jackets, but that's a personal gripe.

So far, I noticed no difference in accuracy between this and the previous MotionPlus bundle. If you're hard-pressed for money and don't mind switching the MotionPlus in and out of the jacket for various games, this isn't a necessity. But if you have the choice, or need more controllers, this is a no-brainer.

Oh, and yes, this model comes with the silicone jacket and batteries.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2010 9:32:29 PM PST
Smily Frodo says:
Thank you for the honest and informative review.
Now, you mentioned that you did not notice any difference in accuracy between this remote and the old Wii Remote with Montion Plus accessory. Did you notice if during swordplay the wii remote plus control loses accuracy with each hard swing? (which I notice a lot with my old remote with wm+ accessory). Because I was considering replacing my old remotes set with this new remotes, even though Wii Sports Resort is my only wm+ enabled game for now (Skyward Sword in my pre order list already :) ).

Thank you again for the review and reply if you will, happy gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 9:57:08 AM PST
romevi says:
Hi,
Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't had a chance to try Wii Sports Resort yet (been busy with Sonic Colors and Kirby's Epic Yarn), but I've heard that people have actually seen improved accuracy with the Wii Remote Plus over the MotionPlus bundle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 4:00:48 PM PST
Smily Frodo says:
No stress mate, I don't blame you, I myself am also enjoying Sonic Colors and Donkey Kong Country Returns.
I appreciate the reply, and makes me look foward to actually buying the new remote.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 8:09:48 AM PST
romevi says:
Thanks! You too!

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 6:31:41 PM PDT
thank you for your review! the thing i wanted to know the most, was it it came with the silicone jacket :)

Posted on May 14, 2011 10:44:48 AM PDT
HDMI says:

Posted on May 17, 2011 11:38:08 AM PDT
Reader Too says:
I was wondering about the inclusion of the jacket, also. You saved me trouble/expense. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 11:23:39 PM PST
Please stop trying to push this converter on every comment. It doesn't work anyway.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 5:59:10 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
outstanding review, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:54:07 AM PST
MongoGrubb says:
Like Mily Frodo, I have noticed horrific experience with a Nintendo brand motion plus while playing Zelda: skyward sword. It is cool that it actually detects which way I am slashing, but every time I pull out a shooting device (slingshot for example) I have to re-center the aiming on the screen because it is horribly off (by several inches). I'm not sure as a result of this experience why so many people like it. Maybe it is just Zelda: skyward sword? Also a lot of people love it for the fact that it works well with big TV's. What people continually fail to mention is how horrible it is with a small TV. I play it purposely on a 19" TV because the pixels are smaller and I get better resolution. When I try to point to something roughly located between the center and the far right of the screen I am pointing the remote a good 3 to 5 inches to the right of the TV!!! Annoying!!! Simply put why does everyone love it when I can't stand it?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (561 customer reviews)

$44.76