3.0 out of 5 stars If you have Netflix Buffering issues, June 23, 2010
This review is from: Sony BDP-BX57 Blu-ray Disc Player, 3D-ready with built-in WI-FI (Electronics)
This player is the same player as the Sony S570 except it is sold primarily at Costco, Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesale Club. The unit can be purchased at those place for $199. The unit plays Blu-Rays very well, loads fast and the picture quality is excellent. The same can be said for DVD's. The BDP-BX57 is hooked up using a Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD HD TV via HDMI. The internet streaming content is the reason I purchased this player. I have connected it with a wired connection and a wireless connection both without any problems. I have a solid and fast cable modem connection and was really looking forward to streaming Netflix like I can on our PS3 that is in the Family room. Even with the latest firmware, Netflix can be a bit choppy or buffer often. The PS3 unit never buffers despite the same wired connection. I had the Video setting from the Sony player on "Auto" which defaults to 1080P. Apparently, there must be a firmware issue with the Netflix and the unit possibly trying to upconvert the video? Interestingly, when I changed my Video setting on the Sony to 1080i, the Netflix buffering went away and it hasn't reoccurred. This shouldn't be an issues since you aren't getting 1080 from Netflix even when streaming HD content. Still, I shouldn't have to default the setting to 1080i when the unit is hooked up to a 1080P TV via HDMI. Nonetheless, it seemed to be the fix for me at least until the next firmware update. I contacted Sony about this issue and was routed offshore to a help desk employee who said it was a Netflix issue. This defeinitely isn't the case since the PS3 implementation of Netflix never buffers from the same wired connection on 1080P. I found tech support to be very disappointing and the person wasn't as knowledgeable as expected. Lastly, the remote on the unit isn't very good. If you want to use the remote to control your TV, there are codes in the back of the manual but the manual doesn't tell you how to enter the codes. After searching the internet, you have to hold the TV power button down on the Sony remote while entering the codes and it works fine to control the TV's on/off, input selection and volume.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2010 5:40:24 PM PDT
The PS3 only plays 1080i, since you have no problems running Netflix at 1080i, I suspect the problem is the player or your TV trying to upconvert it to 1080p. I don't think Netflix tranmits 1080p video anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 6:21:00 AM PDT
Dhiraj Patil says:
Chung is correct.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 11:02:02 AM PST
socal woman says:
We just bought this unit at Costco at a discount so your info is going to be very helpful to us, in spite of my IT knowledge. Thanks and have a great holiday season!

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 7:35:02 PM PST
PS3s output 1080p video (at 24 fps or 60 fps). Not sure what Chung's comment was in reference to??

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 10:07:32 AM PST
Update on Sam's Club price. bought one today for 148.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 6:14:41 AM PST
E. B. says:
What are you talking about? PS3 definitely plays 1080P

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 3:10:09 PM PST
Hereby Grace says:
I just bought this on black friday at costco and have had zero problems with it regarding netflix. (i was actually surprised at how easy it was to set up). I've hooked it up to 3 different tvs so far and have watched netflix beautifully. Didn't buffer one time (except the initial at the beginning of the movie). I am using a d link dir-825 in my living room and the blu ray player tv was in an upstairs bedroom. I am VERY pleased. :-)

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 6:33:11 PM PST
Gary says:
This is definitely the issue. I just tried it and now Netflix works great. Change the video setting to 1080i instead of auto. I bought this at Costco for $129. I have the latest firmware and they still have not fixed this. Overall though, very happy with it.

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 9:24:54 PM PST
Gilgomez says:
Got this player today at Costco but terribly disappointed when hour after hour of streaming attempts I continued to encounter the constant breaks and chops with the downloads. I even changed my display settings as suggested above by Ms. Klainer (thanks) but continued to experience chops. I have tried every single service and just NOW was shocked to find smooth operation as I stream an episode of Labrats.TV which is designed for Ipods in 720. Zero breaks or chops so I am watching this first show in ecstasy but plan on trying You Tube, Pandora, Slacker and Netflix again to test again. I will try streaming using all the various output settings.

I have AT&T DSL service at 3MPS and am using the fantastic Netgear N 3700 dual band wireless router which so far has worked flawlessly with two laptops, my Directv HD DVR and my Sharp Aquos HD LED TV all connected simultaneously. At this point only running one notebook, the TV and the Sony BDP-BX57 on the wireless network, my notebook status shows a consistent 100% 300mbps connection. I can stream all media on my notebook and TV without interruptions so the Sony appears to have the issue.

I have refreshed the network, have performed the firmware update and so far this is the first media I can stream without interruptions. Can it be bandwidth issues? Why is it that only the Sony player is having a problem?

I must say that the picture quality (when media isn't stopped for buffering) is amazing, maybe a combination of the unit plus my Sharp tv which also has a beautiful picture. I will report back if the situation improves or if I find other solutions.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 1:59:45 PM PST
Papabear says:
I purchased this unit from CostCo for $139.99 about a week ago. One of the main reasons I liked this was the streaming capability and WIFI. I initially had issues with Netflix streaming, even for programs that were broadcast in sub 1080i. I changed the video setting from Auto to 1080i and that didn't seem to help.

As of this past weekend, all was fine. I even watched a 2 hour movie with no interruptions. Maybe a bandwidth issue?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (111 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $49.99