5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, Easy to Implement Nurturing Strategies, September 1, 2011
This review is from: The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a new parent, I am just beginning to read up child development, discipline, and parenting. This short book gets right to the point and gives parents twelve key strategies that will help them parent their kids without losing it. The twelve strategies are:

1: Connect and Redirect: Connect emotionally, redirect logically

2: Name It To Tame It: Taming emotions through storytelling

3: Engage, Don't Enrage: Appeal to logic and planning, not to emotion

4: Use It Or Lose It: Encourage planning, thinking, and other left-brain activities

5: Move It Or Lose It: Body over mind method to restore balance

6: Use The Remote Of The Mind: Teaching your child to view his/her memories while maintaining control

7: Remember To Remember: Exercise memory often

8: Let The Clouds of Emotion Roll By: Teaching your kids about temporary feelings

9: SIFT: Using sensation, image, feeling, and thought to help your child understand

10: Exercise Mindsight: Focusing with your mind (For more on this, see one of the author's other books, Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation

11: Increase The Family Fun Factor: The science behind building in fun family times

12: Connect Through Conflict: Turning conflict into opportunity

Some of the things I really liked about this book include:

* Cartoon explanations and demonstrations of each point. Very helpful.

* Break down at the end of each chapter for kids.

* Chart at the end of the book on how to integrate each strategy for different ages - very valuable, and a great addition to the book.

The only negative thing I can say is that some of the strategies seemed too much alike to warrant another strategy (ex. Remote of Mind and Name It to Tame It). Use the chart at the back, and this little book will help you survive everyday parenting struggles. Highly Recommended.

Another book on redirected parenting, this one with a Christian focus instead of neuroscience: Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting

Book that really got me interested on the power of the mind and memory: Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2011 4:15:56 PM PDT
Thanks for your review of Dan Siegel's latest book, Bradley Bevers. However, I wish you had not recommended Farley's book "gospel Powered Parenting" alongside your review of Dan's book - which implies that they have similarities. I have not read Farley's book, but your review sounds as though his principles are NOT gospel-centred in some areas (like discipline), and therefore should be viewed with suspicion!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 8:47:55 AM PDT
Margaret, thanks for your comment. I am not implying that Siegel's book should be viewed with any suspicion, just that it has a different focus and starting point. Both books arrive at many of the same conclusions, but from different literary perspectives - that's why I included the recommendation for Gospel Powered Parenting as well. Thanks again.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:06:47 PM PST
Paul Needels says:
Brad, I'm assuming that you didn't intend to set up an either/or between neuroscience and a Christian approach to parenting by your use of the phrase . . . "instead of neuroscience". A recent book that does an excellent job of integrating Christian thinking with neuroscience is "Anatomy of the Soul" by Curt Thompson, M.D., a Christian psychiatrist who's approach is quite compatible with Seigel's although his book is for an a general adult audience, not primarily parents. Believing that all truth is ultimately God's truth, I have found it very helpful, professionally and personally, to keep an open mind to new developments, such as neuroscience, which from a Christian perspective point to the wonder of ourselves as created beings.

Paul Needels, EdD
Educational Psychologist

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 12:31:36 PM PST
Thanks for the recommendation Paul, I'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 9:56:50 AM PST
@ Margaret C. Hunt

MY TWO CENTS: Not my place to apologize for the "thumbs down" folks, but I am sorry to see that they have ganged up on your comment.

For what it's worth, I DO feel that your post adds to the discussion. Although it was not a "positive" attaboy comment, it was not disrespectful in tone and gave the reviewer a chance to respond to a reaction to his review he may not have intended - clearly "adding to the discussion." (Kudos to Bevers for taking the opportunity to respond)

I don't understand why your comment is considered one of the "unhelpful" posts. Is Amazon attempting to make the point that we are to consider only fan-boy reviews and comments "helpful"?

I am now totally dismayed every time I see the down-rate button here on Amazon. It has become SUCH a downer it has not only ruined the Amazon review experience for me, it makes me reluctant to shop here for anything but books anymore -- because it gives the haters, ratings chasers and Vine hopefuls a quick and easy way to bias results. It shuts down discourse and discussion in favor of everyone "speaking to his or her own choir" and, for me, undercuts Amazon's corporate credibility as well as the effectiveness of ratings and comments.

I was once someone who enjoyed reviewing products thoroughly and as quickly as her schedule permitted the time to do so. After a hater attack or two, I took one "negative" review off-line (negative in that I could not recommend the product for strong reasons that MIGHT have been helpful to the manufacturer for redesign) -- and now*rarely* review or comment anymore. Having dedicated my LIFE to making a positive difference for others, I *was* willing to spend many precious minutes of MY life to be helpful to those also in the buying process -- but I am NOT willing to expose my opinions to a bizarre form of voting that invites trashing my perspective as if it were invalid. Why would I be?

I also take the rest of the reviews here on Amazon MUCH less seriously now. As long as folks must, metaphorically, watch their backs to protect their reputations, how can anything truly useful be submitted? I doubt that was Amazon's intent, but there you have it.

Liberal use of the down-rate button seems to have facilitated the "trashing" some of the most comprehensive reviews on the site - which makes it TOTALLY ineffective as a metric for locating the most "valuable" reviews and comments. It also exposes me, as a potential Amazon customer, to a negativity I struggle to keep OUT of my own life, for reasons Siegel aptly points out in EACH of his books.

Were a post to garner no thumbs-up ratings (with no thumbs-down option) the "valuation" process would be accomplished in a MUCH more positive and effective fashion. Why do developers promote the usage of black and white CONTESTs? I don't get it, I don't like it and if I can buy what I'm looking for somewhere I don't have to be exposed to it, that's what I do now.

HAVE AT ME HATERS - I won't be checking back to tally the results.

(Madelyn Griffith-Haynie - ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
- ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder -
"It takes a village to transform a world!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 10:00:37 AM PST
Hey Bradley - nice review, IMHO, & helpful to me.

I'm commenting to point you to my response to the comment of Margaret C. Hunt, and to acknowledge you for responding to her, despite the fact that the haters attempted to silence her voice. Good job!

Madelyn Griffith-Haynie - ADDandSoMuchMore dot com
- ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder -
"It takes a village to transform a world!"

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 4:05:07 PM PDT