3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but riddled with glitches and some disappointments, November 14, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fable III - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I was very excited to get Fable III. There were a lot of promises made by the publishers to improve upon the Fable franchise. The results were hit and miss.

The good:
-Evolution of the weapons to make them unique and suited to the player
-Re-vamped inventory system (menus have been nearly eliminated)
-Vastly improved online cooperative play
-Player interaction with AI characters is much improved
-John Cleese is hilarious as Jasper
-Leveling up doesn't make the character look hideous (unlike Fable 2)
-Fun achievements and weapon charm level-ups(Henry VIII, The Swinger Sword, etc.)
-Redecorating houses has more features.

The bad:
-Very short main story (~10 hours). There are some fun side quests, but many are very cookie-cutter.
-At the end of the story, there is no warning that day 112 is actually the last day you can prepare the final battle. Very frustrating.
-I've experienced lots of glitches in online multiplayer... mainly lag or getting stuck at an entrance or exit to a map area.
-One very frustrating thing is when the game glitches in stats. (Personally, I am unable to get my Keymaster achievement because one of the keys I obtained was unrecorded, but is no longer available in game.)
-Lots of other random glitches that detract from gameplay.
-Recycled Fable 2 dialogue for villagers.
-The game feels very repetitive and the franchise still feels stale at heart.
-Being "evil" in the game is not well supported in the main story. The game is geared to follow a heart-of-gold type of player.
-Other than combat, not a lot of guidance for understanding all the features of the game.

The ugly:
-Frankly, the current DLC is an insult in this game. I'm fine with DLC when it feels like its adding value to the game, but the DLC currently offered feels like it was intentionally left out of the game so that they could milk the fanbase. I mean, to leave out black dye (a favorite among players) only to charge players 160 MS pts (or $3.00) a week after release is just nuts.
-The dog is still very glitchy and often cannot navigate through challenging terrain. This is especially annoying when trying to find dig spots.

Overall, it was a fun game but can be unnecessarily frustrating. Further, if you've played any Fable game, you'll immediately predict the story here. That's not to say that the story was not charmingly told, but it is definitely geared toward the "good" player (being "evil" in the game feels extremely disjointed from the main story... it just doesn't make sense). If you liked Fable 2, you'll like Fable 3. If you've never played a Fable game or just think the series is okay, I'd wait for the price to drop or some DLC to be thrown in before I'd suggest a friend to buy this title.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2010 4:46:23 AM PST
G. Buscher says:
This is probably the most accurate review I have read. I would probably have given 3 starts since the glitches get to be very annoying over time. The worst for me is the path issues with your dog. When lots of the sub quests require your dog to find the item and your dog takes forever trying to walk around a tree it gets very frustrating. All of this DLC right away is beyond stupid. They really should have spent more time on getting the game right and less time on coming up with DLC that should have just been included. There is already more cost in DLC (adding in the controller and book to get codes) than the price of the game. And none of it really adds anything except visual changes. Take an example from Fallout or Red Dead and get the game right then work on your DLC.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 11:43:12 AM PST
Yeah I agree. It was a great disappointment. I love this game so much, but everything that is posted in this review is true and even more. I really hope they fix the game and create something a lot better, what I was actually expecting. I still love many things, but hated so bad the glitches.. I have them all.. And I don't know, I like Monty Phyton, but almost every quest was a joke, only the Balverines and the main quest have some seriousness to it. The magic is gone....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 7:27:40 AM PST
I just saw Fable 3 for $30 in the store and bought it. I will be playing it this weekend and am glad to see some well adjusted reviews like this. By word of mouth, I've only heard good things of this game but now after reading of bugs, short storyline, limitations, etc, I may have to play it through myself to make my own review. For some reason, it seems whenever I read reviews complaining of crashes and major bugs, I don't seem to have them. Maybe I just happened to get a decently put together 360? I'm not hooked up to Xbox Live at all so I hope this isn't an issue in case there are any patches etc.

Posted on May 14, 2013 8:36:42 PM PDT
myconius says:
the DLC for Black Dye was a slap in the face!
but i honestly had to spend the points to get it to TRY to make this Pampered Prince they stuck you playing with from looking like a total DINK!

as for the rest of the DLC they can stuff it!
i'd sooner replay the original Fable then spend another dime on this game!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (716 customer reviews)

$14.99 $9.66