Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars Eh, March 23, 2011
This review is from: Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Women (Hardcover)
I was very disappointed by this book. I really enjoyed "Bringing Up Boys" and found lots of insights and practical advice in it. "Bringing Up Girls", however, offered very little, if any, practical advice. I was hoping for insights on things like good vs. bad friendships, gossip, effective methods of disciplining girls, attitudes, and all I got out of the book was "make sure she has a good relationship with dad". We've already heard that from a hundred different sources.He even took it to a Freudian level, making a weird comment about dads being attracted to their developing daughters' bodies. That one point seemed to be repeated over...and over...and over...until I was ready to scream "OK! I get it, but what else should I do?!" It seems to focus entirely on the teen years and offers little help for moms of younger girls other than "encourage them to play princesses". I almost got the feeling he never met a real little girl. He seems to assume they are all sweetness and light until puberty and then they are going to cut themselves and have sex. I have a seven year old and I wanted to know how to handle bossiness and know-it-all attitudes and bad influences. Maybe the book was helpful to mothers of teens, but not to me.
I should ad here that I really like Dr. Dobson and his other books. I just can't believe he didn't have more to put in this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 6:01:55 PM PDT
bgarcia84 says:
Dear Colleen,
I dont know wheather you come from a broken home or if you have had both parents throughout your entire life, but coming from a woman who comes from a broken home who never had a father figure around, if thats all i get from Dr. Dobsons Bringing Up Girls than i will buy it none the less. I have seen my kids improve so much by just having a conversation with dad about those things which you desire advice on.
But if what you desire is more of help with discipline on how to handle certain attribute of our little princesses turned divas lol i homeschool and have found that the bible is an excellent resource and DOORPOSTS.COM makes it easy for anyone to use biblical exampelship. they have Discipline and Reward Charts, and also a book that lists tons of topics with scripture refrences to deal with your children in a positive manner and reafirming how much we look to God for everything in life it is titled "For Instuction In Righteousness".
I really hope you find this information helpful for you and yours. God Bless
-In Christ
Bianca

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 4:10:56 AM PST
I think you should look into his book that is out about the strong willed child. That has more insight into how to raise children that are mostly NOT the little princesses we wish they would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 4:11:07 AM PST

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 9:22:38 AM PDT
Did you every find a good book for the girl ages 5-8ish range? My Daughter is almost6 an I am looking for a good book to read about raising her up right.

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 4:20:32 PM PDT
Thanks for this review. Any book that encourages playing princess is not for me. I want my daughter to have integrity, self-reliance, goals beyond herself, and agency in the world. The rest of the review is also very helpful, but that line alone seals that I won't be buying this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2013 6:45:51 AM PDT
I found Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens (Secret Keeper Girl® Series) to be a great book. It was everything I was looking for that I didn't find in this book. I thought the info was very relevant and applicable to raising daughters in this society. Hope that helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›