5.0 out of 5 stars Great features and photo quality, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Samsung WB150F Long Zoom Smart Camera - Black (ECWB150FBPBUS) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this camera for its portability, because I so often failed to have a camera with me when a great shot presented itself. I wasn't expecting too much, but was really surprised.

The image quality is nothing short of amazing. The lens seems to have few aberrations anywhere in its very wide zoom range. I don't use the longer focal lengths much but really appreciate that it has the equivalent of 24 mm at the wide-angle end.

This spring has been good for wildflowers here in the desert. I have taken many shots of plants for identification as well as working with flower macros, trying to achieve some "artsy" shots. I'm very happy with the results.

I've also done some videos, notably one of ants being very busy. Looks great on the big screen at 1080p, even though the camera only takes 720.

Of the multitudes of features, the best is wi-fi connectivity. Whenever the computer is on I can let it update the files on the PC. It makes folders for each day automatically and remembers what has already been saved. Works up to hundreds of feet from the router.

It has a "smart" mode which makes all the decisions for you, a "program" mode with more control, and fully manual. The manual mode shows a histogram on screen, so you don't have to guess.

Some nitpicking: The screen looks great in anything but direct sunlight; working outdoors can be difficult sometimes. While most images are nearly free of noise, noticeable noise appears in some, inexplicably. Sometimes autofocus isn't quite accurate. Given the price, feature set, and extreme portability of the camera, I can live with those little details.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 1, 2012 9:24:09 AM PDT
bethfrdh says:
I like to get up close shots of my kids, but am concerned about possible distortion I've heard about. Is there any distortion at close range?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:01:38 PM PDT
There is no distortion at any range that I can detect. For portrait shots, a moderate telephoto setting is best with any camera. If someone has described "distortion" in facial images, they are probably doing wide-angle which, while interesting, doesn't look the same as our eyes see the face. In 35-mm photography an 85-mm lens was called a portrait lens for that reason. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 6:59:32 PM PDT
S. B. Smith says:
Hello David, I just bought this camera today on a one-hour sale at Fry's and did not have the opportunity to read reviews, etc. before purchasing. Having read what I have am glad that I did buy it. My question is about portrait shots. Is what you are saying that for close up portraits that you do "not" use wide angle setting? In my case most photos are of dogs close up not moving and then action-type shots. I do not do well taking the close up's but am looking for any suggestions if you do not mind. Thanks, Scott.... Paid $83.99 and also bought a Class 10 Sandisk Extreme SD card so decent quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:47:56 AM PDT
Sounds like you got a great deal on that camera. The use of different zoom settings for different types of shots applies to photography generally, not to this camera specifically. Traditional portrait photographers found long ago that using a lens that matches the human eye in perspective creates the most realistic pictures. Our eyes can't change focal length. People often find wide-angle photos of anything to be "distorted." A match to the way the eye sees things is called "true perspective" and can be achieved with a setting that gives about 1.5x magnification. But there's no need to restrict your creativity. Experiment and see what you like.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 11:11:38 AM PDT
Hi !
I got this camera, and I am so far very happy with it ! One question: I cannot find the pictures when I upload them to my PC, I know it sounds silly ! I run Windows Vista. Do you have a suggestion ? Guess I will continue to look around on the PC.
Beate

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 11:43:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 12:27:14 PM PDT
Go to All Programs off the start menu. Open SAMSUNG folder, run Intelli-studio. There they are. The window that is open during the synchronizing process has a button called Open Folder that will take you right to where they are stored. All the picture names start with SAM, so you can search for SAM and find them that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 11:56:14 AM PDT
Beate says:
I thank you so very much ! I will try that when I get home !

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 12:28:21 PM PDT
Check my edited reply--more suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 12:32:41 PM PDT
Beate says:
Thank you so much again ! Yes, I did see they are named SAM !

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 6:35:32 AM PDT