1.0 out of 5 stars Product Incompatibility -- Insufficient product compatibility testing, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Metra Axxess ASWC OEM Steering Wheel Control Universal Interface Module (Electronics)
I purchased this unit to restore my Steering Wheel Interface Control that I lost when I upgraded from my Factory stock radio. I researched the Metra Web site and it showed that the Metra Axxess ASWC would work with the JVC after market Radio. Well, the JVC head unit I purchased was a KD-AHD69 model and this Metra Axxess ASWC would not work at all. I followed the instruction to the TEE !!. I printed out the Vehicle specific instructions per the Metra web site and did EXACTLY as it said to do when installing and programming. No dice.....

Well, I surmised that the JVC KD-AHD69 model was too "new" to be compatible with the Axxess ASWC unit and it would not work without some form of Axxess ASWC software patch or something, and Metra web site did not mention anything of that sort....

SO, what did I do? I re-packaged up the product the way it came and contacted Amazon to see if they would authorize the return. Amazon was fabulous. They contacted "Discountjungle" who sold the product via Amazon site. Discountjungle sent me a return label (postage paid) so that I can return this and be properly credited. At least the Vendor and Amazon service worked. I would buy from Amazon again....

Conclusion? If your HEADUNIT is relatively new, I would not purchase this unit until you get the Manufacturer's assurance that this would work....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2010 7:10:03 PM PDT
mb says:
Because your stereo was new, did you update the Axxess unit first like they show on their website, or did you just try to install it without it being updated first?
I am looking into buying a new stereo & still want the use of my steering wheel controls, so any info you can provide will be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 7:16:03 PM PDT
Scooby Doo says:
In order to update the Metra Axxess ASWC, this requires you to yet purchase a "update" gizmo to be hooked up to the ASWC unit. More $$$ and more hassle... In my opinion, it ain't worth the hassle until the Metra updates the ASWC unit from the factory.... Your choice..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2010 9:37:31 AM PDT
Mark says:
How new is it? Maybe I got lucky but the Pioneer 3200BT just came out in April 2010. That or Pioneer didn't change their remote control interface logic.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 7:56:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 7:44:20 AM PDT
MJ23BAMA says:
Ive got a new JvC headunit and when the steering wheel control is installed it keeps changing the imput to the radio. it does this intermittingly. I was told that if you look on the back of your unit if it starts with 11 you have the latest and greatest if it starts with a 10 you might need an update. mine starts with 11 so I might have to return this item. it works smoothly except for changing the audio in to different imputs. Man do I wish I had read this review before I decided to use this product with a JVC radio don't get me wrong I love the radio but hate the frustration 4-18-2012 update I had to call around to find a installer in my area who installs this system. Because all dealers can get the update cable for free if you buy it its like 70 bucks. I waited about 2 weeks for the the place to get the cable and after the update it works awsome. Check around the dealers to see if they are a installer of that brand steering wheel control module. If they are there is no cost for them to get the cable. The update was free for me because it took two weeks to get the cable but the guy was only going to charge me 5 bucks it took him about 5 minutes tops to download. I took the brain to the system in to get it updated and pluged it back in my self. I had to call about 6 to seven places before I found one that installs AWS the place i had it originnally installed wanted 175 to fix the problem so I sugggest calling around

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 3:20:45 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 7:59:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2013 8:01:55 PM PDT
Ryan Hamm says:
I guess I got lucky because I purchased this unit in August of 2011 for a JVC KWHDR720 and got it to work just fine. Of course the reason I was able to get it to work fine is I assumed it would work a certain way that was different than what came with their instructions that were wrong in the included manual and also wrong on their website.

Looking back at my review the instructions told me to do it one way but instead I used the Kenwood instructions instead because my head unit came with a specific wire that was like what was in the Kenwood instructions included with the ASWC.

Posted on May 8, 2013 2:29:24 PM PDT
figuy says:
Metra said they would update mine for free. All I would have to do is pay shipping to them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›