262 of 278 people found the following review helpful
Dr. Jonny Bowden Explains Why Lowering Cholesterol With Statins Is Foolish
, October 31, 2012
This review is from: The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will (Paperback)
Nationally-known weight loss, nutritional health expert and bestselling author Dr. Jonny Bowden has been providing quality health information for years in a series of bestselling books. But as a big fan of his work, I do believe he has now offered his most significant contribution to date with the release of THE GREAT CHOLESTEROL MYTH. We all know how devastating heart disease has become in recent years which is why people tend to take the cholesterol message so seriously. But Dr. Bowden asks the question, "Why are we treating numbers rather than treating heart disease?" It seems that some simple changes he and his cardiologist co-author Dr. Stephen Sinatra suggest in this book would do a lot more to turn this tidal wave around than the continual push for statin drugs to artificially lower cholesterol--and to what end?
After his publisher wanted him to write a book about lowering cholesterol for improving heart health, Dr. Bowden had to convince them that emerging new lipid science is showing that cholesterol levels are a poor predictor of heart disease. He spent months sharing with them in paper after paper that the standard prescriptions for lowering cholesterol like the outdated high-carb, low-fat diets combined with those dubious statin medications that produce some truly horrific (and under-reported!) side effects are not only ineffective but are actually making heart disease WORSE! Doh!
The medical profession has been duped by the pharmaceutical companies who have made hand-over-fist money to the tune $31 billion annually selling Lipitor, Crestor and all these other so-called cholesterol-lowering drugs. No, it's not a conspiracy theory that made this happen, but it will take some courageous people like Dr. Bowden and Dr. Sinatra to challenge the status quo, ask medical professionals the hard questions about why they obsess over cholesterol numbers, the role statin drug companies have played in perpetuating this lie, how people can truly improve their heart health naturally and so much more. If you've got "high cholesterol" and are worried about what it means to your cardiovascular health, then you need to READ THIS BOOK and see what the authors have to share about it. THIS BOOK COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!
Here are a few concepts you'll read about in THE GREAT CHOLESTEROL MYTH:
- Cholesterol is the basis of all dietary recommendations
- It's been "woven into the fabric of what's healthy"
- Deeply-entrenched "accepted dogma" is very difficult to change
- All the leading medical organizations are pushing the dogma
- This isn't the first cholesterol skeptic book to be written
- Doctors aren't treating patients, they're treating numbers
- High cholesterol is not a disease or heart disease risk factor
- There's a campaign to convince parents to give kids statins
- Cholesterol is necessary for so many bodily functions
- The important distinction between the various kinds of LDL
- The "good" and "bad" cholesterol idea is about 20 years old
- There are multiple types of LDL and HDL
- LDL Pattern A looks like a cotton ball and is "harmless"
- LDL Pattern B is the "angry" kind that leads to plaque
- You need to know which kind of LDL you have
- When you eat saturated fat, LDL Pattern A goes up (A GOOD THING!)
- You need to get a particle size test conducted to know
- Get an NMR Lipoprofile Test from Liposcience to test LDL particles
- Both LDL particle size and LDL particle number are important
- If LDL is mostly the large, fluffy kind, you're doing well
- Doctors tend to put patients with "high cholesterol" on statins
- Framingham heart study shows longevity comes from high cholesterol
- His comparison of the VHS format war with fat vs. sugar
- Anti-fat lobby had "better PR" and "behind-the-scenes manipulation"
- John Yudkin was warning people that sugar was the danger
- Over 50% of heart disease admissions have normal cholesterol
- Side effects of statins have been grossly underreported
- 65% doctors do not report the side effects of their patients
- Worrying about cholesterol can contribute to heart disease risk
- Inflammation, stress and others contribute to heart disease
- When you worry about anything, the higher your cholesterol
- We have "medicalized" everything that aren't really problems
- High cholesterol and heart disease are not the same thing
- Let's treat disease, not risk factors
- High blood pressure is a very serious heart health marker
- Inflammation is "the heart of heart disease"
- Red meat should always be grass-fed whenever possible
- The concept of "play" lowers stress, cholesterol and more
- Stress makes every disease worse than it would otherwise be
- Stress raises cortisol, blood pressure, inflammation
- Stress management is a critical part of heart health
- Write down your 5 favorite things and that's what you do
If you or someone you care about is concerned about getting heart disease, then you owe it to yourself to read what Dr. Jonny Bowden and Dr. Stephen Sinatra share in this book.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?