Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost One Year of Success!, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs (Hardcover)
My daughter's neurologist suggested a vegan diet when she had two possible MS episodes last year. She became a vegan and has had no subsequent episodes. I read about the benefits of being a vegan in Dr. Barnard's book and in Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I asked my diabetic husband if he would try it for three weeks; it has now been 10 months. He has lost 40 pounds and his A1C level has gone from 8.3 to 6.0, his doctor has taken him off Metformin, and his neuropathy is almost gone. I have lost 35 pounds and my blood pressure has gone from 140/90 to 110/75, my acid reflux is gone, and I feel great. Four of our friends have become vegans, and they are having similar results. We cook wonderful foods and never go hungry. There are great vegan recipes on the internet as well as some very good vegan cookbooks. We particularly enjoy ethnic vegan food (North African, Ethiopian, Thai, Mexican, Italian). We rarely eat tofu, but have many sources of the nutrients we need to be healthy. In addition, I buy organic or locally grown food almost entirely. I avoid foods with added salt, additives, preservatives, and, of course, things like trans-fats and high-fructose corn syrup - and processed foods, in general. I work more than full time, and I manage to shop and cook to keep our healthy lifestyle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2010 12:12:19 AM PDT
Good for you. I have made the same changes with similar (fantastic) results! It is worth it to eat at home. We eat mostly raw vegan, and hardly have any dishes to do!

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 3:09:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2010 3:09:51 PM PDT
L.Marie says:
Wonderful!!! I am happy when people can get off the medications when possible.
There are studies where high fructose corn syrup since introduced to the American
diet diabetes has risen significantly, it is in almost everything. The study also
concluded that hfcs turns off the brain hormone that controls the appetite another reason so many have weight problems.

I really dislike that commercial where they promote it, because I have several family
members with diabetes and I am controlling mine with diet and exercise.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 11:01:22 AM PST
Marcia says:
You mentioned ethnic recipes from a variety of areas around the world. Where can I find these cookbooks?? My husband is willing to try, but he said everything tastes the same. He wants more variety. I have tried looking on Amazon as well as the Internet but haven't had much luck. I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 4:41:18 AM PDT
Myself says:
You can try mouthwateringvegan .com - though they do have oil in the recipes. There are so many vegan cook books on amazon - including ethnic cuisine, I am sure you'll find great recipes. Also remember, the unique taste of dishes comes from spices and vegetables - which are vegans, so you can "veganise" your favorite recipes simply by removing the meat and replacing it with tofu, lentils, seitan etc. Good luck and good health.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 1:24:33 AM PDT
Idlike to have these cookbooks too, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 1:26:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2013 1:26:54 PM PDT
Shankar HSV says:
I quit corn syrup and it made a difference. If only the government would stop ethanol made from corn it would stop my car from having diabetes :)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 11:51:21 AM PDT
I would really like to see an update from Ro now that several years have passed- that would be quite interesting. I also would like to know how her hubby is handling things like legumes or grains which are two things that spike me and make this type of diet an issue. Hopefully Ro will see this and post an update.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 3:42:21 PM PDT
I've found that grains leave me bloated and sluggish so at the beginning of the year (2014), I decided to stop eating all grains. I no longer eat legumes either.
I have small portions of protein, more fish and plenty of root vegetables. Because I don't have grains, I no longer have sauces or gravies. I no longer eat pastry or cereals or cake either.
I have lost 1st 10lbs so far. I am running again and my sugars are within normal limits ( I have type 2 diabetes). Best of all I feel alive both cognitively and physically. Paleo Rocks!

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 9:45:24 PM PDT
6.0 is still pretty high. A1C is just a reflection of the average BG levels over a few months. What is much more important is how high BG levels go after meals. I would stay with the metformin - very low side affects and a 6.0 A1C is still above normal.

Posted on Dec 4, 2014 3:39:23 PM PST
Emma Smith says:
Ro, I would love to hear how your daughter is doing? Has she stayed low fat vegan? If so, how are her MS issues now that it is seven years later? Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›