The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Auto wake/sleep feature does not work, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Targus Slim Case for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4, Bone White (THD00601US) (Personal Computers)
Update March 26th, 2012: I have contacted Targus and they are replacing my defective case. I am very happy with how they changed their original plan to handle the situation. Given that I will review the case based on the defective one.

The case itself is nice. I do not care for the fact the apple logo opening has no protective plastic. Also my ipad fell over from about 3 feet high and the case came right off the ipad because it doesn't seem to clasp on to the ipad very well. The case cover slides around some when closed and feels like it could open easily if dropped. I like the outside material and texture of the case, it feels water proof to protect if something spilled on the outside of the case. The bottom 30 pin connector is wide enough for the apple branded accessories. The addition of a place to keep a stylus or maybe a pen is a welcome addition. That being said because it does not seem to really clip onto the ipad very well I am giving it 4 stars based solely on the fact that Targus seemed to step up to correct the mistake they made on the cases.

Previously posted March 16th, 2012
The magnets in this case do not wake the ipad when opened. It did work on the iPad 2 but not the three. I do not know if this is limited to the case I received or an issue across all the Slim Cases made by Targus. For now buyer be aware. Will update if I find it was only an issue with my case.

After hearing Targus' so called "fix" for the problem by returning the case to them and waiting 2 weeks to get it back. Do to poor customer support, this case has been downgraded to one star. What do they expect us to use for 2 weeks while they "fix" our case. We have to buy something else to protect it which is ridiculous. It makes sense to return this case and buy it from another manufacture.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 19, 2012 1:54:24 PM PDT
Targus is committed to keeping your new iPads protected. If you're having an issue with your Targus case for the new iPad, please contact our customers service team and they will be happy to send you a tested replacement case or in some situations another model if preferred. No need to return the case you have to us. For more specific information please call customer service at 1-877-482-7487. We appreciate your business and will do whatever it takes to fix the issue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2012 11:05:45 AM PDT
I can confirm that this is not an issue with your specific case, mine does not work either. The fact that the product casing clearly says "Magnetic On/Off" is a WRONG statement. Targus, here I come.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 11:15:39 AM PDT
Matt says:
My guess is that Targus tested that on the iPad 2 and made the case a little more flexible overall to fit on the 3. Because like I said the magnets DO work on the iPad 2.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 11:43:01 AM PDT
J. Hunter says:
This is confirmed. I tested 3 of these cases at Best Buy and none would wake the ipad 3. They all worked fine on the ipad 2, though.

This is because the sensor for the ipad 3 is about 10mm higher than the sensor on the ipad 2.

I also tested the other targus cases that were supposedly compatible with the ipad 3, and they all had the same problem. I highly suggest not buying any targus cases until this issue is addressed and resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:04:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 12:07:35 PM PDT
FreeSpirit says:
I had been considering buying this case, but didn't after reading the review and comments. Curious how the sleep function works fine on the iPad 3 with Apple's smartcover (they have the same smartcover for iPad 2 and 3). Is that simply because the magnets on the smartcover are longer? Exactly how much higher is the magnet on the iPad 3 (doesn't 10mm seem a bit much, but maybe that is the case). I'm wondering if I can make a temporary solution work in my old Targus case before they fix this issue for iPad 3. Any insight will be very much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:09:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 1:52:11 PM PDT
There is a setting where you have to allow a case to wake it up.

Settings-> General-> iPad Cover Lock/Unlock (turn to ON)

It works on iPad 2 fine, but not the third gen iPad. Amazon is recalling the case and Targus seems to be in the process of manufacturing a new version. The case itself is great, only issue is magnetic on/off feature. I think that's fine for now, up to you if pushing a button makes it a 1/5 star or 4/5.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:10:54 PM PDT
Matt says:
Someone did have a Targus Slim Case in the blue and it was working fine. So it must vary. I would assume Targus will be looking into this quickly being that they are about the only ones that really have cases available.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:11:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 16, 2012 12:12:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:12:42 PM PDT
So does this case work once you enable that?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:20:45 PM PDT
Matt says:
I was able to get the screen to turn on and off with a refrigerator magnet but not the case. I know this isn't a setting issue. I also couldn't find that setting option under general.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 12:21:58 PM PDT
Matt says:
Actually the setting is there now. It's weird it wasn't when I started the iPad up earlier. Either way it was enabled to On and the cover doesn't activate the wake up. I may go to best buy later.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›