1.0 out of 5 stars The book was a SLAP on my face, March 3, 2007
This review is from: Strange Son (Hardcover)
The book `Strange Son' felt like a `slap' on my face from someone who mother and I trusted the most.

Overstimulation and puberty stage can be difficult for many like me. But getting recorded in a way like that, `hurts more than my Autism'.

`May the writer find whatever she seeks'.

My actions have been mentioned as 'beastly', 'alien being', 'possessed by a demon...'

On page 129: 'When I left the apartment, When I left their apartment that day I felt as if I'd glimpsed into the mind of an alien being'.

On page 116: "'Tired' was hardly an apt explanation for the extraordinary scene we had been witnessing ... where food was flying in every direction, accompanied by his odd grimacing sounds...";

Page 117, "I emailed Tito that same night and asked him why he behaved like that at the table, grabbing food and acting like a wild beast ...";

Page 126, "He dashed through the house and raced toward the fridge, the first stop on the terrible circuit he could not break free of. He flung open the refrigerator door and wildly rifled through its contents... `You'll never get a publisher with this kind of behavior!' I commented in a low voice";

Page 127, "Now it seemed as if Tito were possessed by a demon.";

I have nothing against the author. I have spent many happy moments with the author and really considered her to be a friend, trusting my actions would stay private with her. The graphic description is what hurts.

By the way, I `hand-write' and communicate/write my books (the Mind Tree, Gold of the Sunbeams, Beyond the Silence). Next year my new book (untitled) will be out, which will describe my sensory conditions in detail, so that other authors may be more equipped before writing about them as `observers' if they watch the `show'.

Regards to one and all.

Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay

(my message got deleted again.....Strange Deletion! So I put my original message back) If anyone deletes this message again, I'll put it back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2007 7:08:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 6, 2008 7:26:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2007 7:52:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2007 8:54:43 AM PDT
But why are they deleting my messages? I am not being impolite to anyone.
Are they scared of Autistic people who can word their concerns?
Thanks friend. I do not know you.
But thanks for understanding.
We never lived in 'slums'. My father is a Chemical Engineer. True, we lived in a humble set up, small and cheap because we had to maintain 2 establishments, one at the mines where father works and one in the expensive city of Bangalore, where speech therapy was available for me.
See, why I am concerned about the movie....no facts right.
Warmly,

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2007 5:12:23 PM PDT
Cams TT says:
Why would a movie, that is not telling a true story be better?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2007 6:55:17 PM PDT
Yes, I am so worried about how situations would get shown. Really embarrassed to even think about it.
Do you know what 'slums' mean in India? It means people making a crude shelter with plastic and tins, eradicated all the time because they make it on govt. property.
Anyway, some facts which got distorted in the book (like my opening the door, when I got claustrophobic, and immediately closing it as the wind on the freeway felt uncomfortable being written as 'trying to jump out') would get shown in dramatic ways.
But thanks all of you who are understanding my words.
Regards

Posted on Mar 29, 2007 6:16:36 PM PDT
Tito,
The story of Soma and Tito is yours to tell!!!
Thank you for teaching us RPM, it has opened up the world to my son.
He hopes to be a writer as you.
Sincerely,
Elisa DiCostanzo

Posted on Apr 2, 2007 4:52:42 PM PDT
Tito, I just finished reading "Strange Son" and found these posts. Now I am very confused. Are you saying that you believe that Portia was demeaning to you in the book? My heart was breaking as I was reading the book, but because to me it means that there are many people who have been "labeled" as retarded who certainly are not. How frustrating and horrible to know that someone needs to communicate but is not getting through to the outside -- much like a dream one has, that he is trying to scream to warn others yet no sound escapes.

Posted on Apr 20, 2007 4:01:12 PM PDT
Tito
I am sorry you felt embarrased by what was written. I really truly am. As a mom of a young nonverbal child with autism (age three) what I took from what was written here was that a non verbal person with autism might be stimming, might be acting like they are totally not paying attention, might have various behaviors and yet still examples of you and of Dov display that indeed with all of those things going on you are listening, you are learning, and your intelligence is there and in tact. This is a difficult concept even today to convince others of. I am grateful for that message Tito. I am sorry if you got hurt in that process. I truly am.

Kristie in Southern California
Aidan James age 3.10 years old

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 1:25:32 PM PDT
And there are a thousand ways to convey that message without stripping someone down with venemous words and detailed accounts. The author didn't share alot about her own son Dov's behaviors,episodes and odd behaviors in public.I guess that was off limits.It shouldnt have been done with a "by any means necessary" approach to convey that "Point" to the reader.A great writer always shows a human side of compassion towards it's subject and that's something the author of this piece was incapable of.

I am a mother of an autistic child and would be beyond angry if someone I trusted or thought was a friend shared my childs awkward moments and struggles with the world.Portia doesn't "get it" because it didn't impact her life the way it did Tito and Soma.Words tend to have a long lasting effect after they've been said and written.

Posted on Jun 24, 2007 5:52:30 PM PDT
Sooozie says:
Wow, I am so sorry to hear that these things written were so hurtful to you Tito. I have not read the book yet, but I was planning to. I think I can understand from what you've commented on how it could hurt. I myself, as the mother of a non-verbal autistic daughter, believe that I can understand what sensory issues might have been going on. I don't judge you, just as I do not judge my own daughter when she does things that may be out of the norm. Many people I am afraid just do not understand. I would have thought that Dov's mother would have understood at those moments more than many would.
Anyway, I am more interested in reading your works now intsead and I will, but I am so happy that your comment was here to guide me. Good luck to you in everything in life my friend. Blessings :)
Sincerely, Suzanne Brozek

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 4:33:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2009 4:37:49 PM PDT
A. Pond says:
Tito,
It must be very difficult to have not been shown solely in your best light throughout the book. That said, your best light does shine through in "Strange Son". It highlights, honors, and even promotes your unique genius. Because of this book, I will be purchasing every volume you and your mother have written.

In your review, you quoted the few sentences where you were, in fact, (at least to "neuro-typicals"), behaving poorly. That is part of the beauty of your story. No one is perfect. You had bad days. No story without this kind of honesty has any integrity.

If you counted all the words where you and your mother are praised, they far outnumber the seemingly pejorative expressions. And your amazing poetry and letters are featured throughout the book as works of art and illustrate your acute intelligence. The contrast between your challenges and your genius is what makes the book remarkable. You are remarkable - the tests, the problems, the struggles, along with the overcoming and the victories. (You have your publisher.)

Portia is a different kind of writer than you are Tito. If you read carefully, she also did not always show herself in a good light either. Forgive your differences. Take heart that people who read her book only come away inspired by you and your mother.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (51 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01