1.0 out of 5 stars Easier Than Expected. Amended - Sorry, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Clearblue Fertility Starter Kit (Grocery)
EDITED:Sorry, terribly sorry, but I have to change this review. I should have waited a little while longer before I wrote the review - I was just so pleasantly surprised that what I thought would be a stressful experience setting up actually came together reletively easily. And I was surprised to see it detect my body moving towards ovulation, so soon. I assumed it was this was because my cycle had been thrown off by recent health issues that month. Apparently not - it never actually detected a fertile peak for me - that month or any that followed subsequently.

So now, eight months later, I absolutely would not recommend shelling out several hundred dollars for this. Why? Because it is incapable of detecting when I am ovulating. As I wrote earlier, it does give you three levels to guage your fertile period. Well for me, for every single month, apart from the days I actaually have my period, it tells me I'm at the Level 2 stage. For 26 days or so, it tells me this.

After the first month it did this, I was surprised, but attributed it to my body. The second month, it did the same thing. I scoured the manual repeatedly and figured I was just one of the few(VERY few, according to the manual)who needed to give the monitor more than just one month to get used to my cycle. I called the company, and given that I was not on any of the medications they say can cause this effect, they agree. The second month should be all the monitor needed.

By the third month, I had run out of monitor sticks. And they are not just available at your local drug store. So while I ordered and waited for more to come from Amazon, I used the Clear Blue Easy Ovulation Predictor LH only detector tests that you CAN get at the local drug store - the kind that just detect your LH surge instead of trying to monitor your estrogen level too. And surprise - I got a smiley face LH surge.

For the next five months I have used BOTH this monitor and the Clear Blue Easy Ovulation Predictor tests. Expensive habit, I know. Every day but the days of my period I test as directed by the monitor. And I track my cervical fluid and temps and try to listen real hard to my body. And every. single. day. the monitor tells me I'm at Level 2, never detecting my prime fertile period. And when I think I am getting pretty close to ovulation, I whip out the Ovulation Predictor LH detector tests and bingo! I get the cute little smiley face LH surge indicator. I've gotten pretty good to where most months I can nail that LH surge on the very first try. In contrast, this monitor has NEVER detected my prime fertile period in 8 MONTHS. Oh, and yes, I have had the gamut of medical tests, I'm ovulating alright - usually at about Day 19 - Day 20, - no where near Day 5.

So unless you want to be told by a monitor to just have sex every day except when you have your period (not a bad idea in and of itself, if you like, but usually frowned on by most Reproductive Endocrinologists for purposes of conception)SAVE YOUR MONEY. For me, this was a complete waste of several hundred dollars, a lot of stress and absolutely no help at all. And for anyone who actually listened to the earlier review of this, my deepest apologies. I was very wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is my first month using this, and so far, so good. I have been well-versed in the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" method of tracking ovulation, and have gotten fairly familiar with my cycles. I purchased this fertility monitor on the advice of my doctor, figured it couldn't hurt to have this to double check the TCOYF method. However, an extended hospital stay seems to have thrown my cycle off, and it coincided with the first month I was going to use the fertility monitor. Because it was the first month using it, it has you test starting with day 6 of your cycle. To be honest I kind of scoffed at that because I usually don't ovulate until around Day 21 or so. Imagine my surprise when Clear Blue Easy showed my estrogen starting to spike around day 9! And lets just say that the other "signs" of impending fertility seem to be confirming this as well. I guess this cycle is kind of wacky because I was so sick, but I never would have guessed I was coming into a fertile period so soon.

I really like the fact that this monitor doesn't just track your LH surge, but also monitors your increasing estrogen levels. It gives you kind of a "Good", "Better", "Best" frame of reference for timing intercourse, not just a "Must. Do. It. Now" signal. For those fans of TCOYF, this also serves as a backup to the system recommended there. Tracking the other fertility signs is great, and I love the understanding of my body that that program gives me, but as one of the primary signs, basal body temperature, doesn't spike until AFTER ovulation, the Clear Blue Easy monitor is a good tool to use in conjunction with it. Personally, I like having a tool that will read my hormone levels and tell me "This is where you are in your cycle right now" - its a great confirmation, and eliminates some of the guesswork.

It was pretty straightforward to figure out how to set up the monitor, the trickiest thing for me was determining the 6 hour window to test in, because my schedule/sleep time varies depending on my job/health. I had to re-set it the first day, but even that proved to be very simple to do. You would think it would be a pain to test every morning, especially starting at cycle day 6 the first month, but even that has proven to be pretty straightforward. I just leave a fresh test on my nightstand, and when the alarm goes off, I first take my basal body temp, then test. I continue with my regular routine while the monitor reads the test, and within a few minutes it gives me a straightforward readout of exactly what my body is doing hormonally.

Here's hoping I get to use the pregnancy tests that came with the kit soon:)

P.S. - I gotta admit I loved the fact that they included more than one pregnancy test in the kit: even if you're successful the first month, what woman uses only one test???

[Add comment]