5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Not To Be Missed, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Blackfish (DVD)
Everyone should see this movie to learn the truth about orcas in captivity. It's a terrifying, heartbreaking, well-constructed argument and the images and interviews will haunt you. I can't wait until an equivalent documentary is done about other forms of animal captivity like circuses and zoos, etc.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2013 4:22:21 PM PST
NJ2toU says:
You should see Lion Ark. It's a documentary detailing the undercover surveillance and ultimate banning of circus lions in Bolivia and the subsequent rescue of 25 of them to a fantastic sanctuary in Colorado. ADI - Animal Defense International - is the organization who brought this about. Right now they are only doing limited release screenings, but hopefully they will get wider release for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2013 8:07:20 AM PST
Thank you for reminding me. I do want to see this movie. It came and went before I got a chance, but I will probably buy it and show it to my class.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 4:02:52 PM PST
99% of animals in zoos are captive bred using very strict guidelines to ensure genetic diversity. These animals are extremely endangered in the wild and will become extinct in our lifetime without these captive breeding programs. The hope is that the animals bred in captivity can one day be released back in the wild. Look up 'Species Survival Plan'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:08:16 PM PST
I am sure some zoos follow strict and ethical guidelines, but I have also read about some not so ethical results of zoo breeding such as the sale of excess animals to canned hunts. Zoos are depressing. Read "Fear of the Animal Planet" to learn about the psychological and physical trauma endured by animals in zoos, and the countless documented cases of attempted and sometimes successful escape of primates and other animals that clearly demonstrate their desire not to be held captive. It's sad to me that zoos are the antidote to human-caused depletion/destruction of natural habitat, poaching, human population growth etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2014 5:53:48 AM PST
C. Miller says:
I have to agree with you, mostly.
Ever hear of the wolf in a vicious trap & what it will do to try to get away?? Traps should be banned, along with landmines.
I have been watching these issues for well over 30 years.
I have not eaten any animals in over 25 years, & been involved in dog rescues for that long as well.
The saddest part is that in all those years, not much has changed. That is the heartbreaking part, not much change.
We need to educate our CHILDREN.
That is our future.
Good luck to all involved with trying to help those we should be protecting, not exploiting (the Govt & sea creatures wearing cameras & detecting mines...don't even get me started.)
I intend to watch this movie soon.

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 8:15:52 AM PST
a must watch documentary is "Earthlings". free on youtube. most eye opening film made.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 8:40:33 PM PDT
C. Rowley says:
This review is from: Blackfish (Amazon Instant Video)
For those of you who have actually seen the movie, do yourself the favor and actually research the other side of the story. There is A LOT left out of the movie because it will not support the director's obvious liberal agenda (most of the movie is false propaganda). I live in San Diego and have been a member of Seaworld for years. After watching this movie, I did my due diligence and actually studied both sides. I was willing to give up my membership....HOWEVER, I found the truth to be very different that what is presented in this movie. I am still a very proud member of Seaworld and my children have learn a lot about marine conservation through Seaworld. How much actual preservation and money is the director giving to "save" these wonderful creatures? Do a little bit of research and don't just jump on the popular bandwagon because the liberal news and "hollywood" say that it is the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2014 6:16:58 AM PDT
With all due respect, if you believe these creatures are "wonderful" than shouldn't they be allowed to live normal, free lives? Do we need Blackfish to know that these animals don't belong in swimming pools, separated from their families, performing humiliating tricks? If SeaWorld really does inspire conservation, the first thing that these newly inspired people would do would be to work to abolish SeaWorld and figure out a way to allow these animals, utterly warped by their captivity to lead some version of a better life, at least in a sea pool. We have countless resources to educate ourselves about the real way that orcas live. That can lead to conservation. We have endless sources of entertainment to amuse ourselves. Because for all the "wonder" and "magic" of performing animal shows, not one of them is there out of free will, and not one of them learned to perform these tricks without some sort of coercion. There's nothing "natural" about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2014 9:10:06 AM PDT
C. Rowley says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2014 11:25:53 AM PDT
Loving animals in no way detracts from loving children or protecting them or fighting hunger or anything else. These issues are all connected. It's human arrogance and folly to believe we are separate. This "either/or" argument is a false one. I think that the anti-abortion movement is very powerful, very vocal. I believe that animals do have souls, so we differ there. My mother, an ardent Christian and strictly anti-abortion taught me that one as a young child.
Just as children, animals are victims of our neglect, our cruelty and our arrogance. We do things to them and to the earth at our own peril. All you have to do is look at what is happening to the environment to see how well we have followed the Biblical command to be "stewards" of the earth. But even if animals are "just creatures" I don't think it's very Christ-like to make them suffer as they clearly do in captivity and at SeaWorld. Jesus didn't like greedy people as I recall, and I'm sure he wouldn't be a fan of SeaWorld's business model of exploitation and cruelty. Animal rights aside, SeaWorld's record on human rights isn't so great either. They cover up the deaths at their place of family entertainment with a zeal motivated by protecting their bottom line. Also not very Christian.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (946 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Location: Los Angeles, Ca.