4.0 out of 5 stars A great, but flawed MP3 player, February 7, 2011
This review is from: COWON X7 160 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
I am a long time Ipod user but also a bit of an audiophile, which unfortunately don't go together well. When I heard about the X7's release, I decided to make the move and try out Cowon to see if their reputation is justified. Unfortunately, both its good and bad reputation is so.

First; the bad. I'm a Mac user and Cowons are notorious for not playing with them nicely. However, I figured that since this is a hard drive based player it'd be less prone to problems. Sadly, that's not the case. There are 3 problems that reoccur enough to be annoying and worth mentioning:
1. Sometimes the player claims a file is invalid. This happens when I am using the player and suddenly it shuffles to a song and deems it invalid. The problem is almost always corrected when I delete the file and replace it but without modifying it in anyway.
2. Sometimes a file becomes corrupted (on the player) in someway, but the player doesn't deem it invalid before playing. This problem takes a number of forms, including a "skip" as if the MP3 were a bad 45. Another more humorous manifestation of this problem is when I play one file, and then it strangely changes into another song without the player recognizing it. For example, I am listening to song A which is 4 minutes long. 15 seconds in to song A it switches rather dramatically to song B. I turn the screen on the X7 and it claims to still be playing song A.
3. Simply freezing in the middle of playing an MP3 and needing to be manually reset by pushing the frustratingly small reset button.

Also, at one point the player failed to recognize ANY files that I'd put on it. This problem persisted until I wiped the flash drive of its memory and loaded up the latest firmware. A strange and frustrating situation.

Lastly, and not really a "bad" as much as a disappointment, it originally claimed to have a multilingual dictionary, and sure enough when I got it, it did. However, in the firmware updates, this function was lost, though some of the files for it remained on the player.

Finally; the good. The player's hardware is well built, with a nice weight and finish to it. I don't like holding electronics that feel as though cardboard were a main component, and the X7 is just the right size for me. The battery life is simply incredible. I listen to music all the time throughout the day and I hardly ever need to charge it. Most importantly, the sound quality is unparallel; it really makes Apple look bad. I have mine paired with some Shure 535s and that combination is an aural delight.

The bottom line is, the X7 does have flaws, some of which I didn't bother highlighting since others have done so. But, if you want top notch audio, a big screen, and beefy hard drive, the X7 is a fantastic, albeit sometimes frustrating, pmp.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2011 10:32:49 AM PST
Dan, thanks for you comments. I'm a Mac user who's considering this player, but the problems you were having give me pause. It sounds as if things were fine, though after you uploaded the latest firmware. I'd appreciate an update on your experience since then if you have a moment to post about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 5:03:43 AM PST
Dan L. says:
Charlesn:

The fact of the matter is, the X7 is a great player, but it does take extra effort to use if you control it via a Mac. I think that the problems I've encountered are negligible. Since day one I'd put the failure rate of mp3's on the X7 at about 1-2%. That means for every 100 songs I put on, I should expect some initial problem from about two of them. It's irritating, but the problems can be taken care of (as I addressed in my review), and I don't think it should dissuade you from purchasing the X7. Yes, after I updated the firmware I've encountered no problems with music transferred since. Meaning, I updated to 2.08 this past Monday, I've transferred about 150 songs since then, and none seem to have any problems. I did, however, have an issue with a song I put on before Monday. I've read plenty of horror stores about other Cowon products (with Mac), and I think if you want the Cowon experience while using a Mac, this player is the best one to go with. The Sound quality is really worth the relatively small hassle.

If I can help you anymore, please let me know.

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 2:06:58 PM PDT
cowon mp3. Most of the tedious 'crimes' stated above, also accrue too many times on my zune. The worst part is when the zune battery goes (80gb model), no one can seem to get a replacement battery within 3 months, and stores like Fry's, won't even try. All zune batteries are plug-ins, except for the solder in ones on a zune 80gb. And, MS no longer makes the 80 gb player.

Reading reviews for other mp3 players, itunes, and other subscription or foramtting challenges, I think I'll go with the Cowon for a change, even with the flubs and zany actions of the player, why buy more junk of the other brands? Go with an independent for a change. BTW, I have had players from all the other manufacturers, Creative Labs having a nice box, but the player was hoaky and broke within 2 weeks. sent it back, got a replacement, and it went out in the same time frame. Like others, I buy a player to play music and not much else. If I wanted a radio, I'd stick with the dash unit in the truck. CD's get scratched or, and its fumbling, that cause many to crash or swerve while driving.

No, misewell go with some thing made by someone else for a change
‹ Previous 1 Next ›