4.0 out of 5 stars rock solid, November 10, 2010
This review is from: Brother HL4150CDN Color Laser Printer with Duplex and Networking (Office Product)
I bought this printer 1 week ago. As per one of the other reviewers, this unit has some heft to it. It comes with full cartridges, not starter cartridges. The color and sharpness are excellent. I've been using a monochrome HP 1020 laserjet for the last few years. there's a definite improvement in the sharpness of the text. When the machine comes out of its sleep mode, it is louder than I anticipated, and was even a bit shocked at first. Also, it takes about 15 sec to print its first page. I got this for about $280 through Staples and am pleased with the price paid and the performance of this unit. I expect many years of use, which is strictly in the home setting. Setup was simple. This is networked to my home network though an ethernet cable. I have 1 computer running Window 7 and 2 others running Win XP home. all of them found the printer on the network without any glitches. It was much easier to set up than trying to "share" a non-networked printer. I gave it 4 stars because of the noise level. In fairness, I have nothing to compare it to in its class. For the money paid, I think this is a better built unit than the HP 2025, which also costs more, and the cartridges for the HP cost twice as much as the Brother, though there is no drum to replace in the HP since the drum function is built into each cartridge, hence its price. A new drum for this brother runs about $150 but i don't expect that it'll need replacing for few years or so. I can live with that! Hope this helps

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2011 8:59:53 AM PST
What is your experience with this printer, three months after purchase?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2011 5:55:24 PM PST
TechAndWood says:
the printer remains rock solid with superb print quality. I am disappointed with the life of the toner cartidges. I started getting "have a spare toner ready" about 2 months into usage. the printer menu has a very handy, detailed print out function that tells you precisely how many pages have been printed to date. at that point, I had printed out about 1750 pages. I was being informed that the 3 color toners were low, and black was at 30%. I print very little in color. i've since learned that black printing requires a bit of color, hence the color toner consumption. as of this evening, the menu indicates that the cartridges are almost empty, and I've now printed 2023 pages. I'm quite convinced there's a lot more life left to the toners cartridges, just have to figure out how to coax it out of them. While disappointed with the life of these toners, high yield cartridges should last about 4 times longer. Still a good printer for the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 6:43:49 AM PDT
I don't have experience with this particular printer but might I suggest you look for a setting to put the toner cartridges in "override" mode. There's often a microchip in the cartridge that tells the printer to send an alert that toner is low -- but it has nothing to do with actual toner levels, it's just tied to the number of prints made. In override move your printer will continue to print until the toner is actually gone. I work with 3 color laser printers and I've got all of them in override mode and just wait until I see the printing getting faint until I change toners. Works great and I get about twice the life out of cartridges over what the printer tells me to do. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011 6:14:23 PM PDT
What are your thoughts about the printer now that you have had it for six months? Does Pamela's suggestion make sense?

How do you get the printout that you described in your February posting?

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 4:53:56 PM PST
A. Flum says:
I have a suggestion that may help you get the maximum life out of your toner cartridges. It may or may not work, it is based on my experience with a monochrome Brother Laser printer (5250DN). Looking at the toner cartridge from the front, on the right hand side is what looks like a small round plastic lens. Others have reported that there is some type of optical sensor on the printer that detects the toner level through the lens. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the lens, as others had suggested in the comments on the 5250DN, and I was able to get about another 30% life out of the cartridges.

Maybe your printer uses a similar mechanism. Its worth a look. Good luck with it!

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:53:40 AM PST
K. Babcock says:
Excellent comments. I am curious how the printer has held up to this point. I know Richard Lyons asked a few months ago, but don't see a response. Your review (and subsequent comments) have been the determining factors in my decision to purchase the HL4150CDN. As this will be my first experience with a laser printer, I am interested in how this particular printer fares after 15 mos of real use. If you have the time - and wouldn't mind - an update on your experience would be most appreciated. I appreciate your review.

A question for anyone: I have only seen this model online. Since I need a laser printer for art purposes, does this printer have a "flat" feed? Or is it the sort of feed where the paper "loops around"? I hope that makes sense to someone - I apologize for not knowing the technical terms.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:02:38 PM PST
I have had this printer for about six months. It has been reliable. I have not had to replace toners or other parts up to this point. However, I have also run the printer in toner-saver mode and about 100 pages printed per week. The toner-saver printed copies definitely are second class copies compared to regular mode. Knowing what I know now, I am satisfied with my purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 6:38:24 PM PST
K. Babcock says:
Thank you so much for adding your information. I'm really glad you shared, Richard. I started to order this printer several times today, but backed off each time due to the color saturation issues I've read about. If you say you're satisfied with your purchase, that is the bump I needed. I am going to place my order tonight - and cross my fingers that I can tell someone the same thing in six months. :)

Thank you for the information - it means a lot as I complete my research and actually purchase a machine. Your input has been invaluable. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:17:45 PM PDT
TechAndWood says:
It's been a long while since signing onto this post. I'm now almost 2 years into this printer and continue to rate it highly. I have not tried over-ride mode yet, but will investigate. otherwise, this machine remains rock solid and is a real work-horse.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 10:18:38 AM PST
I read in the comments section for another printer that overriding these settings can significantly shorten the life of the drum and perhaps gears &/or other parts. Supposedly some of the toner is heated, but doesn't stick to the paper for whatever reason and is then cleaned off the drum and then falls back into the clean toner. Over time you end up with more and more of that semi-used toner and that adds the extra wear and tear on other parts... or so the theory goes. The commenter stated that it was worth throwing it out and paying for the extra toner rather than shortening the life of the printer. If I recall, he said the printers are typically set to replace the toner after it is about half used up.

Based upon that, and the cost of the toner, it seems to me that it might be worth buying 40% to 50% less toner and either replacing the drum, assuming that's possible for typical consumers to do, or replacing the printer half way through it's expected life.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (187 customer reviews)

$399.99 $325.00