3.0 out of 5 stars Advice for Wiz, December 5, 2012
This review is from: O.N.I.F.C. [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Wiz,

I've been waiting for this album to drop for a while now and so has your other fans.
What happened to your lyrical talent from those days of the 'Pittsburgh sound' man?
You're not hungry anymore and I can hear it. All you do now is rap about the same stuff and it gets old.
While I listen to your tracks, I can picture you faded and just 'reading' off your iPhone over a bomb beat.
Honestly, the beats went to waste over redundant topics and awkward delivery. What happened to you?
Where's the 'Prince of City' and 'Kush & OJ Wiz'? I want 'Mesmorized', 'This Plane', 'Never Been' back.
Put the paper planes down for a second and think about it. You're just bragging about your fan's money
to your fans because it's your fans that have supported you, bought your albums, and concert tickets.
I want to hear you speak about real stuff that'll motivate your fans to be successful like you,
especially in hard economic times. The majority of your fans are young and get paid hourly; we
wake up, get dressed, play your tracks in our hoopties, and drive to work - the last thing we want to
hear is somebody talking about how much money he has. I mean regular folks just living by, we
are not even on your level to be hating - we are proud of you - but man, motivate us. Seriously,
who are you rapping to? Other rappers or your fans? If you are rapping to your fans, you're just
crapping on us.

Yours truly,

#1 Fan Stan

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2012 4:35:18 PM PST
Blak Tee says:
Just so you know that very comment should be plastered all over the internet, bruh...Twitter, Facebook, Reddit. That's exactly how I feel about music these days. How the hell is anyone supposed to repeat these soft, corny lyrics w/conviction?! The only ones who could appreciate this trash is the rich, brainwashing scum that force these artist to convert to this shallow nonsense instead of dropping actual knowledge. They basically want kids, teens, and some adults to spend beyond their means. At least we still have Nas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:56:51 PM PST
Perfectly understand your point. Sometimes ppl don't want to listen to artist like Nas. Theres nothing wrong with listening to empty music like Wiz's. I believe the key is understanding what you're listening to. I don't see anything wrong with listening to a average/bad album or watching a bad movie as long as you understand the quality of what is entertaining you. Thats why guilty pleasures exist. I like to listen to someone like Kendrick Lamar to stimulate the mind but Wiz is nice to chill to.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:44:04 PM PST
Damn, Stan, tell it!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:00:05 PM PST
Exactly. I'd probably give it one star. I love Wiz, but the lyrics are bad to the point of distraction on this album. I was really looking forward to it. Too bad.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:09:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 9:10:34 AM PST
You know, your review is interesting. But you should note, rappers aren't obligated to "inspire/motivate" their listeners. (Besides, why would you expect something inspirational from Wiz in the first place?)

Although the lack of variety in terms of subject matter is a large downfall of this album, the main problem is that his lyrics are extremely lazy, dumbed-down, and uninspired throughout the entire album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:30:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 9:36:40 PM PST
Scardella says:
True. However, I expected something inspirational because Wiz is the epitome of a rapper that broke boundaries and stuck to his unique style and delivery in the recent hip hop genre filled with studio thugs. He went mainstream without rhyming about guns and violence. Thus, he was successful by being different and refreshing, which is inspirational to his fans.

In his song 'Mesmerized,' this verse stood out to me among his peers: "N***** be pressed for p****, it aint nothing, instead of worrying about who that b**** f****** why don't you get you some money."

Variety of subject matter is problematic in hip hop anyways, but yes you're right when speaking of his lyrics being extremely lazy and dumb-downed. His delivery is also all over the place. All the rappers in today's hip hop talk about the same thing, but at least for some of them you can tolerate because their deliveries are unique.

Listen to Wiz's 'Cameras' as this is probably the most inspiring thing he has rapped recently and unfortunately, this is the debut album that he thought could have been better.

In the end, I don't blame him. This is what makes money - talking about money. This is radio friendly - talking about money. I guess rappers are doing their part in reviving the economy by 'motivating' us to spend. But he is losing fans and I hardly listen to his new stuff anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:35:54 AM PST
Circa_1986 says:
Well put Scardella, I Lol'd. I thought he was gonna be something a couple of years ago when I first heard him. Heck, I even liked parts of Cabin Fever and Rolling Papers. This album is pretty much just him rapping about being a rich pothead. Heck, I didn't even pay for it (yarggg) and I am pissed I have it... Oh well

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:03:01 PM PST
Moemoe514 says:
I agree with most of your statement. But NAS's beats are too weak for me. Don't get me wrong, his (NAS) last album had about 6 tracks that were nice but he has to step his production game up. Mainly, get producers from the South.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:57:26 PM PST
ROFLCOPTER says:
I'll be honest I don't listen to much Wiz... but I'm not surprised another rapper has taken a step back from what made them unique to now going to a more pop friendly sound for a cross effect. I wish we had more rappers today that could stay true to their craft and not water down their sound to make certain music buyers feel at ease. That's what I miss about the good ol days of rap and hip-hop staying true to one's craft!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:41:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 12:48:20 AM PST
Couldn't agree with you more.

I'm getting the same way with Rick Ross, on "Amsterdam" off his last album he actually said "n***a you a bi**h, where your Honda Accord?"

I've been a fan of Rozay since "Port of Miami", and will continue listening to him. I drive a Honda Accord (proudly), so that got me a bit salty.

I will never ever pay for his music again ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (94 customer reviews)

$11.49