Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of features at a very good price point!, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Anker Uspeed Dual-Band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) Wireless-N Router 300Mbps - Supports IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n (Electronics)
Length:: 4:32 Mins

I have installed a lot of WIFI systems in my life so I was interested to test this unit out and see how it performed. One of the key features of this WIFI router is that it is a dual band unit and it can broadcast on two different bandwidths concurrently to provide more access to your WIFI by multiple devices. A good example is backing up a computer to a server on one channel while still searching or playing on the internet on the other channel. The speed of the WIFI is 150 Mbps when using both bands and it can be up to 300 Mbps when you use only one band.

The unit contains 4 LAN Ethernet wired ports to tie the internet and communications to more computers and to access printers. The LAN speed is rated at 10/100 Mbps which is adequate for most computers. I use 1 Gigabit Hubs and routers in my house for high speed connection. This router is rated at Fast Ethernet speeds and to be honest that is good for most users. The Gigabit routers can cost several times more than this unit.

The router uses the IEEE 801.11 a/b/g/n standards and as a result is compatible with virtually all WIFI devices that I use in my home. When you set up your router it is critical that your do several things to protect your WIFI from intrusion and from being stolen. They are:

* Assign a unique user name to your router
* Assign a unique password to your router. This prevents someone from logging into your router and reprogramming it or stealing your data or internet access. Write these words down as you will need them several times while you own the router and if you lose the user name and password you will have to reset the router and reprogram it.
* Select a unique SSID which is the name of your WIFI network. If you use both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz network you will need to use two SSIDs, one for each band.
* Select a security mode and I would suggest at least WPA2 as it is considerably more secure than the WEP mode and even WPA mode.
* Enter in a Security Key and make it unique and I suggest a mixture of at least 8 letters, numbers and symbols. This makes the key hard to crack by a hacker and protect your network from being used by your neighbors or your data being stolen. Simple words can be cracked so be smart. Write down your SSID and Key and keep it with your router user name and password is a safe location.

I have attached a video and several photos for your information. It is best if you watch the video and read this review as they both contain slightly different data. I hope the video is useful to you.

I rate this product as a 5 star product. There are better routers out there but they can cost 3 to 5 times the price of this one. This unit has a lot of features for the money and for an apartment or a medium sized home it is more than adequate, especially if it can be centrally located. Large size homes or areas are even difficult for the much more expensive WIFI routers and require a different WIFI strategy than just a single router.

The instructions are limited and some of the more advanced setups I tried I had difficulty in doing. Perhaps a more extensive manual will be made available. I also suggest you check occasionally to see if a new firmware for the unit becomes available. Upgrading the firmware when it becomes available may improve the performance.

Here are some of my notes from my video and testing:

Features:
* Supports dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands simultaneously
* Easy to install
* Good size for an apartment or a medium sized home
* Supports 801.11 a/b/g/n fully compatible with all of the wireless devices I use in my home.
* It has four LAN Ethernet connectors for 10 or 100 Mbps speed.
* Wireless speeds of 300 Mbps for single band and 150 MBPS for dual band use.

Pros:
* Easy to install once I accepted the device's preferences about its default address.
* Dual Band is great so you can split the load of the WIFI work between bands. For example back up a computer to a server on one band while browsing the internet on the other.
* Nice looking design, small and compact

Cons:
* Default address is 192.168.0.1 and I had to override my Static IP address to set the default gateway to that address. Normally I use the default address to be 192.168.1.1 but I could not reprogram the Router to accept that address.
* LAN output is only rated 10/100 Mbps but for this price this is still a great router!
* Instruction sheet was adequate but could have been four times as long for advanced setup and in a little better English.
* You only get 300 Mbps if you use one band. Using two bands both are set to 150 Mbps.

WIFI Strength 2.4 GHz:
* 60 Feet plus down a floor -75 dBm
* 70 Feet plus down a floor -85 dBM Internet Slow
* 35 Feet plus down a floor -75 dBm
* Two floors down no WIFI signal
* dBm = Decibels per milliwatt, higher is better (Note the minus sign)!

WIFI Strength 5 GHz:
* 60 Feet plus down a floor 2 Bars
* 70 Feet plus down a floor 1 Bar no Internet
* 35 Feet plus down a floor No Bars
* Signal measured with an iPad 3
* 5 GHz generally offers more bandwidth but in my experience it is more affected by walls and floors.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 2:44:13 PM PST
Janie says:
Do you know if this router can support Netflix movie streaming on a Roku box? Thanks if you can answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 4:19:42 PM PST
JJCEO says:
Yes it can but if you have a really big home then it depends on how far the Roku is from the WIFI transmitter. I have set one up to a Roku personally.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 12:22:04 PM PST
snowflurree says:
I have this router and I think my neighbor is using my wireless connection, I tried to make it private (or personal) but it says when I try to set it up that I need a "network key" and it says it is located ont the router itself or on the box. Well I tried and tried and no luck there. No network key # anywhere to be found. I would appreciate your help as it seems as if you are very knowlagable on these issues. When I look at network mapping, my neighbors name and pc come up along with my computer. Hope I am making sense here. I guess what I really want to know, is where do I fing the network key number so that I can put it in to finish the installation. Like I said, it's not on the router itself or on the box it came in. thanks for any help that you can give me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 6:18:21 PM PST
Snowflurree,
The video covers all of this and it really is very easy.

Go to your Internet explorer and enter in address 192.168.0.1 and you will get a pop up screen that asks you to enter in the user name and password. The default for both is "admin" without the parenthesis. Watch the video and you will see how to change your router user name and password and please make sure to write them down. Make them simple but unique.

Watching the video you will see to use the wizard and go to the section where you select the WIFI security and select WPA2 personal and below that you enter in your own key. Typically two words. Write them down and use something like housefurnace with no spaces. This is the minimum and you can use numbers and words for example.

You can even rename the SSID or the name of your WIFI system to something like "Sushi" or whatever. All of your WIFI devices will find that SSID when they search for local SSIDs. When you tell your iPad to use that SSID it will ask you to enter your SSID password which will be the words you used like housefurnace.

If you have any problems then you can reset the WIFI with the reset button and it will default back to factory settings and you can follow the video to reprogram it again.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Good luck!

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 4:48:13 AM PST
Janie says:
jjceo,
thanks for your advice about streaming Netflix.
Could you please also tell me if I would get the Netflix hi-def movies in 4-dot quality, and without much skipping? (I would have the router nearby to the roku box, tv and Cox modem, and everything is in the same 12x13 living room.)
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 6:18:00 PM PST
JJCEO says:
I am sorry I can't answer that question as there are too any variables involved. I don't know who your Internet service provider is, what bandwidth are you paying for, is your cable modem a good working one, and what is the condition of the coax from the cable company.

If it is all good then you shouldn't have any issues. The biggest problem with wifi is shooting through walls and the second is distance. The third is how many people around you are on the same channel and walking on your signal.

My son has the same wifi and an old Roku and he gets HD. He loses signal once in a while but his cable modem box is not good and he is getting it replaced by the cable company.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:42:42 PM PDT
Y. Ren says:
Thank you for the detailed review. It's very helpful as I'm considering it. Do you know if there's a way to disable the Wifi on the router? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 6:39:47 AM PDT
Y. Ren,

Yes you can disable it in the wireless band setting mode where you can select to disable wireless by clicking on a selection with your mouse.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›