Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars It totally deserves all its praise, September 28, 2012
This review is from: The Connected Company (Kindle Edition)
In the interest of Federal Trade Commission guidelines and covering my legal bases, I got this book free of charge via my involvement in the O'Reilly Media Blogger Review Program. That said, this review is entirely my opinion, after my reading of the book. I would also like to assure everyone that I was not paid to give any particular rating to the work, and that my rating is my personal choice.

Okay, now that the necessary disclosure is done, let's get to the good stuff!

REVIEW PROPER

In this groundbreaking book on business for the new age, Dave Gray and Thomas Vander Wal have succeeded in redefining the way that companies are perceived and led. Unlike the traditional management thinking we all know about, The Connected Company teaches us to embrace synthesis over division, and agility over rigid structures.

For me, this is a deep change which I've seen coming. I see it as an alteration of paradigm, an alteration which has solidified over the past few years. And while I do recognize that not everyone is ready to embrace this new way of thinking, I have great faith that the book will convert people with relative ease.

If you're wondering why I made that claim, I have three reasons below.

The first one for me is the content of the book. The Connected Company is full of meat, and its points are bound to resonate with those interested in its subject. It provides not only a background for the current emergence of connected companies, but it progresses at a logical and natural pace.

After you understand the background, you are then taught to shift your way of thinking, before any actionable steps are ever presented.

Personally, I feel that this was a good approach to take, as the organization of the book lends itself to intuitive understanding. It doesn't leave you fragmented at all, and that really speaks to the consistency of the work . It teaches you connectedness, and the content plan delivers on that principle.

That said, my second reason for liking the book lies in the way it was written. I'm happy to report that it reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell, especially considering the wealth of case studies which The Connected Company presents.

I'm a big fan of Gladwell books, and I truly love that this book was written in a similar way.

Lastly, I would be remiss not to mention the actionable nature of The Connected Company. Aside from providing you the framework behind creating connectedness, it gives you practical steps which are of use no matter what state your organization is in.

In fact, it tells you at one point, "You can start next Monday."

That may seem like a tall order, but the book is completely able to fulfill its promises to readers.

Knowing all that, I really do recommend that you get it as soon as possible. Though you may think that this is exclusively a management book, it is so much more than that. You'll not only learn about the principles and methods behind connectedness, but you'll learn to think in entirely new ways.

And when it comes down to it, what could matter more than that?

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]