ARRAY(0xa2caef30)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rechargeable batteries DIE within a few years., March 24, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's GW530A-1V G-Shock Atomic Tough Solar Watch (Watch)
All of the good reviews must not be from people who have owned tough solar watches for more than a few years. The solar batteries in these watches tend to die after ~5-7 years and can no longer be charged, so the watch becomes worthless unless you have the expensive battery unit replaced, but that defeats the purpose of the solar battery. It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy the non-solar versions and replace the $5 batteries every few years. I feel like the solar gimmick is a scam by casio in the sense that the battery does not last long enough to warrant the price premium. Although the watches themselves hold up well and have good features, DO NOT buy SOLAR unless you expect to replace it in a few years.

If anyone has owned one of these for longer than 5-7 years without having the battery fail, please post your actual experience as a reply.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2009 2:57:35 PM PDT
RT says:
FYI the solar replaceable battery is about 12$ soooo really not expensive to replace when you need to here is a link for the CTL1616 solar battery

http://www.americanperfit.com/batteries/batteryindex.htm $8.50 cents

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009 9:43:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2009 9:45:00 PM PST
I have had my GShock solar/Waveceptor since 2002 it has been the most dureable longest lasting watch I have ever owed. I have taken it on 4 tours to Iraq and it has been through hell but it works perfect to this day. Although the night light does not work as well anymore. I had to replace the battery in 2007 in Iraq for like $5 but as soon as it was installed it was back to working like a champ again. I finally replaced it with a new GShock Waveceptor/solar I got today. I will still keep my old one and use it from time to time it holds many great memories of Iraq. Who knows it may last forever. Anyway GShock is the way to go the best damn watch for the price ever.
PS
I got my first watch in 2002 for $80 which seems like alot but it has been well worth every penny. My new one was $100 so 20 more bucks in 7 years not bad. Thanks Casio!

Posted on Dec 31, 2009 9:21:52 PM PST
I have what looks identical to this model since 2003. (The manual back then said the battery was good for 6 months without any light and now says 8 months.)

Not had any problem with the battery. The very first thing I did was turn off every power saving feature. (Partly out of curiosity and partly being annoyed looking at a blank screen late at night.) I'm only looking for a new watch because the light button has become sticky and under some circumstances will then drain the battery. The watch does go blank and into a power recovery mode but it gets annoying. I also appear to have some water inside as there is occasional condensation. The watch has not left my wrist except for cleaning - it gets showered, swum, rained and snorkelled on a regular basis.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 10:32:40 AM PST
Steve says:
Spent forty years living and sailing the Caribbean wearing G-Shocks, especially solar/atomic watches and will always be my favorites. Citizen has a few atomic models and their eco system is similar to Casio. Wish all watches had the capabilities, especially the accuracy, of the Casios. Can't stand metal on my skin so I immediately replace the cheap strap with a diver Wrist Wrap velcro band. Have given my older Casios to friends and they're still going strong. Currently replacing an eight-year-old Casio with an up-graded model. Can't see experiencing battery failure unless the illuminator is used too much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 2:28:19 AM PST
Miked says:
I've had mine going on 9 years and still no problems. I have been in the military, construction and now law enforcement. The charge stays for at least 45-50 days as of late, but I work midnights and only see the sun when I am going to bed and when I play with my sun. I am about to purchaase a new one only because I want to upgrade. My two favorite watchs are Fossil and G-shock, neither have faild me these last 9 years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (118 customer reviews)

Out of stock