4.0 out of 5 stars I like my Toy, but you may not., May 24, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2

I bought one of these after some review & discussion with other reviewers.

Primarily I bought it to use for skype, but ultimately it was an impulse purchase that I hope to justify as a business useful purchase.

As this is my first tablet, it is hard to give specific comparisons, the extent of my tablet use to this point was Angry Birds on my friend's Ipad. That being said, I was not interested buying Apple products, so that was the first selling point for me.

The price one may argue is comparable to the Ipad, however as I was intending to purchase a Dropbox account ($99.00 per year), the Samsung, which comes bundled with 1 free year, proved to be a good option. In my opinion this puts the price of the device down to $300.00 which was acceptable to me.

The device itself is lightweight and handles well. After a few moments of setting up the different accounts, I was ready to begin using my new device.

The stuff I liked:

It comes with a Kindle app, which syncs to my Amazon account and pulls all my purchased books for me, this is great for me if it means I do not have to carry around laptop & Kindle, the tradeoff is that I lose the accessability my 3G Kindle gave me when I finished a book without another to read. Also in comparison to the Kindle, it renders PDFs far better and easier to read which was perhaps my only issue with my Kindle.

The 50gig Dropbox account means I do not have to download reading material as it would load directly from the account.

Using the Kindle app, I can read PDFs and it will remember my location the next time I open the document; It didn't seem to do this with the Polaris App.

Skype Works! Well the audio is good and the front facing camera is clear enough for my liking, although, due to its positioning, you have to hold it at the right angle to centre your image, else you're sending pictures of your nostrils. The rear camera shows only the bottom half of the image, I assume this is due to the incorrect hardware being identified. Again this is tolerable to me...

It multi-tasked very well, i.e. I was able to video chat while playing Angry birds, without any sticking, delays, etc.

The built in print function claims to only work with Samsung printers (which I presume are over priced), however, I downloaded cloud print (Google app) and was able to access and print to any of the printers within my network.

I am not a photographer but I liked the rear facing camera & its functions. Particularly the Panoramic function (which I've never gotten to work on a regular digital camera) and the Smile photo (focuses on faces and waits for a smile). Both of these functions amused me greatly. The lack of a flash can be an issue, but in my opinion that's what you'd buy a proper camera for.

The remote function works but as far as I can tell the range is limited. As I reside outside of the US, the added functions for the TVs are not available to me. That being said, if I wanted to annoy someone watching TV nearby, I found a new way...

Stuff I didn't really like:

To start with my last point, the remote seems to only work with a wifi connection, this is a +/- in my opinion. I understand that the App will fetch the codes over the net, however once you've locked the codes in for your devices, one would assume it would still function without wifi access, however it doesn't seem to.

The lack of flash / artificial lighting means you have to video chat in bright areas.

The device comes without much of a manual, this is fine to a point as it's a fun learning experience, but at some point i will want to know shortcuts etc to unlock the true power of my toy, I hope there is one available online.

My Biggest peeve is with the charger, in two parts:
1) The enclosed cord is about 2.5-3' long. This is ridiculously short especially in a workstation environment where the power comes from behind a desk / space saver. The cord is a Samsung connector to USB which plugs into the wall adapter, so I will find a USB extender and see if that will alleviate this problem.

2) The device is lightweight, and the connector snaps in snuggly. This is good if you have issues with flimsy connectors, however, my constant fear is that I or someone else trips into or bounces into a cord. Given the weight of the device, if the cord is pulled, the device is coming down with it. I'd have hoped for some sort of magnetic connector to prevent this happening.

All in all, I like my toy and gave it 4 out of 5 Stars, I'd really have loved to give it 4.5 but since I couldn't I rounded down. I am still searching for ways to connect it up to a TV as a media centre, but that knowledge will come along over time.

[Add comment]