5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down best phone ever!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Nokia N8 Unlocked GSM Touchscreen Phone Featuring GPS with Voice Navigation and 12 MP Camera (Gray) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
What more can I do with it (compared to iPhone or Android):

1. Navigate anytime with a fantastic GPS module and free life time navigation (including turn by turn voice navigation with street names, lane guidance, speed limit warning, traffic etc.!!). Go buy crap GPS software for iPhone for a huge price (last time checked was more than 50$) and even then that won't even come close to Nokia navigation. Don't forget Nokia owns Navteq (the worlds largest map producer)
2. Transmit FM and play it on your car music system (iPhone doesn't even have a FM receiver)
3. The best camera (those of u who read the misleading review of endgadget, if u r really reading my review, then u r serious and go ahead to search on google to find zillions of unbiased camera review, comparing N8 even against DSLR)
4. Pentaband network support, which would let you use the phone with both AT&T and T-Mobile 3g network!!
5. Dolby surround sound output
6. USB on the go (which means you could connect your USB device with the phone!)
7. Bluetooth 3.0
8. The only OS that has a very complete bluetooth stack implementation (perhaps too technical for some of the readers) that allows u to even control ur powerpoint presentation with ur cellphone (using salling clicker). The poor iPhone guys, no ur phone doesn't have that functionality (crippled at OS level)
9. The OS that gives superb battery life (anyone using Symbian would testify for this)
10. The freedom that comes with an open OS (OK, Android is also open)
11. The most configurable and complete enterprise wireless stack (trust me, I never ever had any problem to configure my Nokia phones for the most convoluted enterprise wireless network!)
12. A built in completely integrated VOIP support. You won't even notice that u r using VOIP. And trust me, if u know how to use VOIP effectively, u could save a huge amount on your phone bill
13. The ability to work as Bluetooth HSPA modem (or even create Wifi hotspot with third party software)
14. The TRUE TRUE TRUE multi tasking. Yes that's three TRUEs. No one else (including the upcoming Windows Phone 7) supports true multi-tasking. If u ever use Symbian multitasking, u would hate to use others' sham multitasking
15. Many many ... can't list. Feeling tired :( Users are welcome to comment and add additional pros and cons. I am sure there will be Nokia fanboys and iPhone and Android fanboys.

What can't I do (or can't do so well):

1. The UI (yes iPhone and Android have better intuitive UI)
2. I can't fart with my mobile (but I do have all the apps that I would ever need: e.g. call screening software, office software, pdf reader, flash support, email solution, the entire Oxford, cambridge or a host of other dictionaries etc.)
3. Zillions of games that you may avail on iPhone, u may not have on Nokia yet (believe me it's changing fast). BTW, N8 has a faster GPU than iPhone4!

Now some misleading media propaganda:

1. N8 has only 680 MHz processor: Believe me Symbian is by born very efficient. If u ever own a Mac and try to run a Windows 7 in a virtual machine then u know how slow it is. Processor doesn't define speed. I started with a 233MHz pentium processor with 32MB RAM which ran Windows 98 extremely fast with all Office applications, a bunch of productivity apps and a host of games. To give a recent example look at Windows Vista, which runs very slow on the same computer compared to Windows 7 or Mac OS X!
2. N8 has only 256MB RAM: Again u don't need that much RAM. The Symbian^3 has "Writable data paging" which works like virtual memory. And don't forget, Symbian is built from ground up to be battery, memory and processor efficient. No other OS (including Android) claims that feat.

So, in conclusion, if u r looking for a very modern looking user interface, go for iPhone (or Android). But if u r like me who shops for functionality (and who dreams to carry only one gadget (no GPS, no camera, no Apple remote etc.)) then surely u should give N8 a serious thought. And don't let naysayers fool u with usability issues. Believe me, with just couple of days of use, every unintuitive UI would become intuitive (I am a Symbian veteran and it feels very intuitive to me).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2010 6:38:31 AM PDT
S. Rabbah says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 7:30:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2010 7:35:23 AM PDT
Bookworm says:
Well, I don't think I am biased. I am a Macbook pro fanboy! I always praise good products, be it Apple or Nokia. Now, people in USA may not agree with me as they live in a reality distorted world, where they believe Apple invents all the mobile feature (while they really invented the touch screen, the rest were there in Nokia phones long time before! Like front facing camera with video calling, HSPA, Multitasking, many handy applications etc.). I respect your choice, and if u like, u may go for any product, but for me I always want something that serves all my purpose and please read the review to see iPhone won't serve my purpose (and trust me, I was totally honest to point those flaws. But if u live in a reality distorted field, may be just a few months back (when iPhone doesn't have a "so called" multitasking either), u may say "who cares multitasking" or u may say "who cares video calling" huh? And trust me, iPhone4 still lacks so many features. As long as it doesn't have those, Steve Jobs would convince u that u won't need that. Disgusting).

EDIT: I would really really appreciate if anyone of you who blames me of bias, could point out the biased part of my review. I would be happy to edit that. Human is always prone to bias and errors and I may not be any exception, but I would try to be objective as much as possible. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 10:13:05 AM PDT
J. Chang says:
Glad to hear another Mac user that's also a Nokia user. Question for you, how do you sync your calendar and contacts with the N8. That's the only thing that's preventing me from hitting the pre-order button.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 10:51:13 AM PDT
You mentioned that you can use powerpoint presentations on this phone. I will assume that since you can use powerpoint then you can also use word document, excel spreedsheet, etc.

Explain how you can use the microsoft office package in this phone....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 11:08:16 AM PDT
Bookworm says:
I would suggest you to synchronize ur calendar and contact using Mail for Exchange support along with google exchange support. I myself don't use that feature though! But plenty much article on net is available (and even google exchange support has a tutorial to configure that).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 11:12:36 AM PDT
Bookworm says:
Please read the review. I havent ever said that I run MS Office on mobile. Though you will have office document open/edit support on Symbian. I prefer to run my powerpoint/keynote presentation on Mac and then I use my phone to control the presentation using Salling Clicker and Bluetooth. My point was, iPhone doesn't have Bluetooth presentation support. It supports only controlling over wifi, which is no way comparable to bluetooth controlling. If u use that ever (and salling clicker) u understand what I meant. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 11:20:24 AM PDT
J. Chang says:
Thank you for your response. Maybe I should hit the pre-order button now? =)

I was gonna sync through isync once it is available, but in the meantime sync with isync on my e71 then through ovi sync then ovi sync back to the N8. I guess that would be the long way of doing it. ha.

MFE sounds like the better solution. If only ovi syncs directly with gmail. That would be a slam dunk!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 12:53:26 AM PDT
Fitcious says:
J.Chang - I am planning to get a N8 as well..coming from an E71. The only part that worries me is the calendar in the N8. I wonder will it be the same as the E71...if it is, then I'm hitting that pre-order button as well!

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 2:23:15 AM PDT
Kamran Khan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2010 6:16:16 PM PDT
Bookworm says:
Are we looking for "ABSOLUTE" fast? Is there any such thing? Will you be satisfied with the so called 1GHz processor on your mobile? And that's why my review never said that 680MHz is "enough" fast. But my point was (and if u read it carefully) to say that with 680MHz processor on board N8 would run as efficiently (or fastly) as those Android phones or iPhone. That is like saying Windows Vista running on 3 GHz core 2 duo may not run faster than Windows 7 running on 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo. Besides that, what do u mean by speed on a phone? It's all about snappiness. And UI snappiness is mostly dependent on graphics rendering. And as I mentioned in my review N8 has a faster GPU than iPhone and the entire Symbian^3 UI is hardware accelerated. And finally, the MHz could only matter if u decide to run computationally intensive apps. Are u? Can u? Even on iPhone or Android? That part is still left for Desktop/Laptop/Server. Even iPad is good for nothing.

Anyway, u have a very valid point. But Alas! we can't have everything together. Android/iPhone doesn't have other features (such as Anodized aluminum solid construction, a beautiful camera, a superb offline GPS which works in most unreachable place (such as hiking trail) and which has much more than just some voice prompt of google maps, superb battery life etc.). The world is not perfect and there is always trade-offs when engineers design very powerful mobiles in that tiny shell (not to mention economic factors. putting 1GHz processor and 512 MB may put the price very high. whereas Nokia might have decided to subsidize the camera module with that money, who knows?).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›