Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest OBD reader EVER! I WAS skeptical........, September 23, 2011
This review is from: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices (Automotive)
Let me start off by saying I had purchased a regular Elm327 (with the orange/blue label) off of another site previously and had a horrible experience. Most of the others available out there don't work on Fords and a number of other vehicles even though they say they do. Needless to say I have a Ford Mustang and it didn't work.

After talking with some people they convinced me I should give this one a try and that it really works on ALL cars. I figured why not, I can always return it.

I got it, plugged it in, fired up Torque on my Droid phone and BAM! Sure enough, it works GREAT!

Even if you don't have any trouble codes to clear on your car (though it works great for that) this is a fun toy to have for any car geek. It gives awesome stats for everything from RPM/Speed plotting graphs, to 1/4 mile stats, HP info, acceleration info etc etc...... best toy for your car ever!

The reader does come with a CD that has some free versions of software on it. I personally didn't really like any of the programs it came with so I downloaded the Torque program for my phone which is MUCH nicer.

All in all.... I definitely, recommend this one!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2012 5:06:58 PM PDT
Sloper Dude says:
What is the Bluetooth password of this device? I have one, but not any password info. Or is that not necessary, and the Torque software takes care of everything?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 11:23:28 AM PDT
R. Scheck says:
Password is: 1234

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 6:25:02 PM PST
Does it support CAN?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013 2:20:55 AM PDT
User1398 says:
Jones, It doesn't support the high-speed CAN interface. You will have to buy something like OBDLink if you want CAN compatibility, and they only have it available in the USB version of the product (not Bluetooth or WiFi).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013 8:34:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2013 3:12:41 PM PDT
AC says:
Ok, thanks. I got one but Torque Pro on Android is too limited. I have Car Gauge Lite. Not sure if Pro for Car Gauge is much better but it is supposed to have some enhanced data like my regular OBDII/CAN scanner has. Torque pro cannot read codes that my Innova 3160 can that is for sure.

*update: I prefer Car Gauge over torque pro for more data (enhanced that Torque does not have). Tried both now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2013 6:23:25 AM PDT
That is incorrect........ The adapters DO support CAN

BAFX Products Support

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2013 3:11:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2013 3:16:30 PM PDT
AC says:
Thanks. Just got the Autel MD802 (DS708 next ;-) ) so myself I don't use apps much anymore but it is nice to have around for certain uses and inexpensive is a huge plus. But anyone looking into an app and Bluetooth adapter, get Car Gauge (full paid after you try out lite) if any of the manufactures that Car Gauge has listed for enhanced is what you have, he has been updating it and it reads more than Torque. He works to add what he can, the developer of that app is a nice person cause I have spoke with him several times. Torque's dev. didnt answer my questions for crap!

AND get this adapter! This is the most compatible adapter that I could find at an affordable price! Do not waste your money trying to save a couple dollars! Too many people got junk by doing that, this adapter seems to work great on all that I tested it on. Others as compatible and reliable as this one cost 5x+ as much $$$. All my research pointed me to this adapter when I was looking for one.

BAFX has great Customer Service as well and replied when others did not when I was checking into these adapters! The apps for these devices do not list this adapter and instead mention more expensive ones, but this is the one to get, affordable yet reliable!

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 6:58:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2014 7:00:43 AM PST
Matt M says:
Maybe it used to, but now this is IDENTICAL to the $9 one that had an orange label. Sam everything including same problems. This one just connects a bit faster. Torque identifies it as the same fake manufacturer name (OBDII to RS232 Interpreter) as the no-name brand one. I'd never dare put the unlabeled CD in a computer, it probably has viruses - it was just a blank minidisc with a disturbed looking "sad panda" logo and a CompactDisc logo. After less than a day of being plugged in, my car turned on check engine light and then wouldn't restart. Unplug the BAFX OBD tool and all the problems went away. I returned mine less than 24 hours after having had it.

I'm finally sucking up and getting the ScanTool.net OBDLink one that uses real chips instead of fakes...and I bet their CD if it comes with one will have a label!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2014 10:13:51 AM PST
Hi Matt -

I can assure you that it is not identical to those units.

Torque marks all devices that identify themselves as OBDII as a possible clone. I can assure you that we make all of our own units.

Again, the OBDLink from scnatool DOES NOT USE ELM chips either, just ask them. They used to but they do not any longer as most makers do not any longer, you will be hard pressed to find one that does.

This issue of the check engine light popping on when the adapter is plugged in has to do with the way in which Torque and the other scan programs retrieve data from vehicles. This issue only occurs in a very few vehicles and will occur with ANY scan tool of this type using these programs, this is not a problem related to the adapter and you will eventually have the same issue with the one from scantool net as well. You can find many write ups about this on the scantool forums as well as the torque forum. Links to some of them are below:

&

To summarize: This problem is NOT caused by our adapter alone. ScanTool net DOES NOT use ELM chips either. The CD DOES NOT have any viruses, sorry it does not have a label.

Regards,

BAFX Products Support

Posted on May 27, 2014 5:04:18 PM PDT
I have a Mustang as well. I have an ABS light on right now. Will this read ABS codes?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›