Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Frozen Heat--pretty dang fun, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Frozen Heat (Nikki Heat) (Hardcover)
I picked this one up, being a big fan of the Castle series as well as Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic, as well as to drown out the silence on my son's first day of preschool. I really couldn't put it down!

The first 3 books in the series were quite good, and improves on rereads, which is difficult for a murder mystery novel. After all, if you already knew whodunit, what's the sense of reading again?

The sense is the characters are rich and the action is brilliant. I absolutely love Castle mainly for Detective Beckett, who is a wonderful, meaty character, and the novels increasingly capture it. Sure, there's dumb jokes and more than my fair share of cliches, but it kind of blends into the environment, and that they probably would be saying all those cliches if this were real life.

One of the beefs I have with this novel though (and consequently the removing of a star) is that Nikki Heat does something really stupid which hurts Rook and turns out badly for her. (Trying not to give spoilers). She takes offense at something stupid and just does something stupid in return. It seemed like a setup for some sort of crazy turmoil in their relationship or her sense of well being, and after its all said and done, it barely makes an impact in her life or their relationship. If a guy pulled a similar stunt on me then acted the way she did afterwards (before they 'made up'), I probably would walk away, no matter how much I cared. Seriously, it wasn't like super-huge-bad, but some major red flags would be up and I would have serious trust issues afterwards. And then it didn't matter, and they just moved on? Really hard to choke down that one. It was not cool!

The twists are really clever (while still being believable!) and the action is really fun and exciting. Everything else in the novel is superb. The excessive cop-lingo (and acronyms) that makes you feel like you're in a foreign country is quite toned down since the first novel, which is a big relief. I'll definitely go back and read it again, enjoying all the little nuances I missed the first time. Sure, there's a few things that you're like, "Why didn't she chase that particular lead down?" or, "Why doesn't she look there?" Or "She's walking into a trap! Wait for backup!" But you'll get that with almost every mystery novel or movie. (I think the trick is to not say it out loud when you're in the movie theater. ;)

And don't forget the serious cliffhanger. I got to the end and I was like, "Where's the rest?" It seemed like there should be another chapter or two. If cliffhangers bug you, wait until the next one is out and read them together. I certainly felt brought-up-short. I know at least one reviewer before wrote that it was "kind of a cliffhanger." No, its a serious, full-stop, mid-thought kind of cliffhanger. Not quite as bad as leaving off a person screaming in terror, but similar. Now we get to wait a whole year for the next part, oh goody. -.-

Anyway, have a lovely time reading this book. Definitely start with the rest of the series if you haven't read them yet, there's old characters to swim with along with new. (And watching the series does not count.) Also, if you like period mysteries, check out the Lady Julia Grey series by Deanna Raybourn. I don't think that one is quite popular enough for how good it is. :) Enjoy!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 11:08:59 AM PDT
My thoughts exactly! I'm glad I wasn't just being picky. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:04:10 PM PDT
Houston mom says:
ugh. I sure wish I had read the full review before starting this book. As the reviewer says, it's a great book, with lots of twists and turns, however I wish I'd known about the cliffhanger! I hate waiting a year. And then, all the suspense and meaning will be gone. sigh. Read this one after the next comes out!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 11:56:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 12:01:13 PM PDT
I just got through reading Frozen Heat by Richard Castle in his series about Nikki Heat. Was very good but am disappointed that there is no mention of a next book to continue on to let us know what happens. Is there another book that continues on? This book is number 4 and would love to read the next one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2013 9:57:50 PM PDT
boltnut55 says:
this was exactly why I'm reading the reviews. That last page/paragraph ended really abruptly, which is no good if we don't know that another book is coming, but it didn't even seem to stop at the right place. Weird...

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 2:02:43 PM PDT
Tom Haikin says:
The key to understanding the Nikki Heat mindset is being familiar with the entire Castle tv series. The fictional character Richard Castle and his fictional inspiration Kate Beckett have been through so many fictional life-threatening experiences, they have a bond that is most likely unbreakable. Imagine this fictional writer creating a novel based upon Kate that would end in their break-up. It wouldn't happen.

Overlook the breaks in logic and enjoy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›