3.0 out of 5 stars Great except bad tech support and way too many "clicks" to get around interface, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 54 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS (US & Canada) (Electronics)
Once you are on the road, this thing is awesome. The map guidance is clear, the information on the screen is relevant and timely, and it even tells you what lane you need to be angling for. This is an indispensible part of how I drive. HOWEVER it is unnecessarily painful to enter address information, change settings, etc. The interface for entering an address, for example, proceeds down through screen after screen with a single question on each screen. If you change your mind, you have to click "Back" like 17 times to get out again. This "drill down and back out" pattern is everywhere in the interface and it just sucks. Stuff like that is just bad design and it has not changed for years with Garmin so I don't think they care about it. How hard would it be to put a "back to map" button on each screen? Etc. Convenience is not the main idea here sadly. But still 4 stars for being RELATIVELY awesome! :-)
UPDATE: my Garmin recently broke. It took me 4 emails over a period of 3 weeks, plus two phone calls lasting 20 and 40 minutes each, to finally just get it arranged to ship the thing back for a repair. Garmin's support for device issues is really painful. Just so you know. So now it's 3 stars for having a good device with poor support.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2013 8:54:41 AM PST
On my Garmin if I just hold the Back button it will go back to the main screen. You don't have to keep clicking Back to return to the main screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 10:57:30 AM PST
W. Chef says:
Great tip, thanks, that helps a lot

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 11:12:15 AM PDT
Mark Twain says:
Yes, but it wont take you back to the map page you were on. There another click or two required. Holding the back key does not get you back to the Map you were just on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 11:32:00 AM PDT
W. Chef says:
Basically, Garmin just is resting on their laurels because Apple and Google are not up to speed on features. I keep my Garmin simply because it reports my ETA and speed. When my phone map app does this, I'm dumping my Garmin because its interface sucks pure and simple. It's like programming a VCR. It's GUI design by hardware guys or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 11:11:41 PM PDT
Joe Cho says:
if you are dumping can i have it? lol~

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 6:03:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2013 6:18:11 AM PDT
Mark Twain says:
Well, I was in tampa again yesterday at the intersection of Jim Walter Blvd (I was leaving Dillards fromThe International Plaza) and Boyscout Drive, it didn't know where I was, plus it would not tell me which way to turn. so i went onto Boyscout Drive toward Dale Mabry Hwy, again it could not recognize Dale Mabry (a major road in Tampa), nor did it tell me which way to turn. period. NO YOU CANNOT HAVE IT! Overall it works fine, but has a MAJOR problem with Tampa. I'll be going back up north in a month, hopefully it will get me there. Here's another design flaw, it should have a dedicated "Where am I, Man overboard" button on the main map screen, rather than having to click in the tiny vehicle icon, and then having to hit save. More often than not I miss that and have to back out of the menu and start over. And why does it almost NEVER tell what street I am on?????????? The details are severly lacking and yes I do have the 'map detail' selected. Thanks for listening.

Posted on May 17, 2013 7:41:09 AM PDT
Jose A. Diaz says:
My friend, If you have Google Earth, just find the address you're looking for, enter the coordinates in the Garmin, and you see how easy it is. If awful to enter add. into the system, as you said, it sucks. The system will guide you to do the rest, once you have the correct coordinates. Hope this will help. JADF

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2013 9:56:36 PM PDT
Some of these comments amaze me. Having used a 50LM for a while, they are so simple to use it's amazing. And you gripe about addresses being hard to enter?? If you put in a zip code, all you need is the number and part of the street name, if you don't use the zip code, it takes typing the city, gosh, that's really asking a lot. Perhaps they should implant a chip so it can just read your mind, so you don't have all those "difficult" tasks. Good luck navigating a difficult intersection with your phone, but at least you can use it to call in to report the accident you'll no doubt have in trying to use a phone for a GPS while driving.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2013 10:04:24 PM PDT
W. Chef says:
It's the interface that we're griping about. You like it, great, go buy 10 units. I'm just telling people so they don't expect too much. Obviously you have enter information. It's just that they make it take the maximum amount of time. How about this: when it asks for the address, how about giving you a few choices, including the current city you're in? How about remembering the last couple things you did and helpfully prompting you with those to save time? It's just as dumb as it can be. You like it, great, I don't. Different strokes for different folks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2013 12:21:13 AM PDT
nana says:
Too bad Garmin doesn't tell us this. I had one, too, until it just stopped working about a month after the 1 year warranty expired. My only complaint is that Garmin doesn't tell us a lot about the many things that can be done with the unit. Thanks for the tip.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (970 customer reviews)

$139.99 $122.21