Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a few small concerns., April 12, 2012
This review is from: HT-IP210F White IP camera (Electronics)
The product comes with everything stated - IP camera, network cable, antenna, CD, user's manual, power adapter and some drywall screws.

The camera had some thin strings of glue on it - apparently from the packaging. I couldn't easily remove the glue, so I left it on the camera. There wasn't any glue on the lens. The camera is about the size of a can of coca cola - so it was a little bigger than I expected.

Setup was nice and easy. I opened the CD and copied everything to my computer (MacBook Pro). I then connected the camera (with the network cable) to my router, and started the camera software. It easily found the camera, and after a few clicks, I was able to make the changes to the settings to match my environment. I then disconnected it from the router and placed it on my desk. I was able to set the camera to do motion detection and send copies via FTP of the pictures to my computer. The software is easy enough to figure out so that I didn't even have to read the manual.

The pictures are nice and fairly clear for what you would expect out of VGA (640x480). The web interface is nice, and the camera scrolls up/down and left/right.

My concerns: On motion-detection, the camera sometimes detects motion and sometimes it does not. However, this may be due to the sensitivity setting that I chose (5 out of 10). And, I have the camera pointed outside, so if the wind blows the tree limbs, it will take pictures. And, one out of every 50 images, the image will be a little messed up - where the bottom 1/3 of the picture is blank.

I could not get my router to properly forward the IP address and port number to the camera, so I couldn't test it to see if I could connect to it outside of my home network. This is probably a limitation on my router. But, I was able to use my iPhone to connect to it inside my network, and the software worked well. The buttons to control the camera are a bit small on an iPhone. It also worked on my iPad, and the buttons were a little easier to control.

It works well enough that I am planning on buying a couple more of these cameras.

Overall, despite a few concern - but because of the price and features, I will still give it five stars. I will come back and amend my review if I find out anything important to report.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2012 9:09:32 PM PDT
Olive says:
Your review for the Hoo Too Wireless IP camera was very helpful. Would you recommend the use of this camera as a baby monitor? I know about the email notifications, but could you tell me if the application can run on my cell phone, Ipad, or laptop in a standby mode until the camera picks up movement or sounds and then turn on and project an image? Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 12:05:42 PM PDT
Jake Forrest says:
Since my first review, I have purchased two additional cameras and am going to buy a fourth one today.

Using the camera's built-in web server, you can easily use your iPhone or iPad to connect to the camera and view the video (I have tested both using an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3). I have not figured out how to listen to the audio over a mobile device or even a web browser.

I found and downloaded a software program for the Mac called EvoCam ( which only works on Macs with Intel chips and OS 10.6 or higher. The software comes with a 15-day trial, or you may purchase it for $30. I tested it for a week before purchasing a license. EvoCam has a ton of features. The best feature allows you to view up to four cameras on one screen. You can also record the video from all four cameras to your hard drive, in one-hour increments. The software will automatically delete video older than a certain number of days that you select. Two week's of videos will take up about one terabyte of hard drive space (at the 640x480 video setting). And sound is saved when you record the video, but the sound isn't on separate channels, so if there is a lot of activity (with sound), it could be difficult to hear.

I was also able to use port-forwarding with my home router to connect to the EvoCam web server and view my video from outside the home on an iPhone, iPad or a QuickTime-enabled computer. It worked well with Safari, but I had problems with Firefox. You can create multiple users to administer the EvoCam software or simply view the video. The software also allows you to pan/tilt the cameras (choose Foscam as your camera in the settings). But the left/right buttons are switched, so when you setup your network cameras, there is a button to click to reverse them to the correct mode.

I have had a few problems where the camera would pan/tilt by itself, so that the original camera view would change, but I haven't figured out why this has happened. It has only happened on two of the three cameras.

Overall, this is a great camera for the price, and since I have the EvoCam software, I would recommend this camera.

One note: When you buy your camera, you will see a little card where you can get a 10% Amazon gift card for writing a review. I wrote a review and sent it to the email address on the card, but the email bounced back. I sent the info to their support email address, but I did not get a reply. Bummer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 3:24:35 AM PDT
sunvalleytek says:
Dear Antonio,

Thank you for all the helpful sharing. From your review, we can tell you are a very tech-savvy person; your input can definitely help other customers on how to set up and play with this camera.

Regarding the 10% courtesy gift card, we are sorry for not receiving your email. The reason is that we ran into some mail server problem back in April and lost some data. We encourage you to send us another email and we will send you the gift card within 3 biz days after that.

Again thank you for the sharing, and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sunvalleytek Customer care

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 4:23:27 PM PDT
Help! I have an iMac and I cannot get anywhere trying to set this up. Does it only work with Microsoft products -- yikes! I have a modem and a time capsule - not sure which I should connect it to for wireless. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 7:11:44 PM PST
Copied software to a Mac??? The software is only for a Windows machine. How did you ever get it to run on a Mac. I purchased this item after believing your review. Why would you say something that was not true? The software that comes with this camera does not work on a Mac.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2013 7:56:13 AM PST
I'm not sure who's posting you're referring to. I never got it to work with my Mac and had to return it.

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 6:16:45 AM PDT
OldDad says:
Two problems -- 1) The motion from detection to display is a bit slow and 2) Why is this camera model's antenna connection female rather than male like the rest of HooToo cameras which means I can't use my other 9db antennas from Foscam, bummer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›