3.0 out of 5 stars I miss the charm of the first book, July 17, 2009
This review is from: Best Friends Forever (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of Jennifer Weiner since her first book. However, in the last few years, I have felt as though she has walked away from her "chick lit" writing and has created more contemporary fiction for women and although I have seen Best Friends Forever referred to as chick lit, I would have to disagree.

Best Friends Forever is the newest book by Weiner and features Addie and Valerie who were best friends in primary school and ended up at opposite ends of the popularity chain in high school, which pretty much separated them until they meet up again as adults. Although they haven't kept in touch at all, Valerie will show up on the other's doorstep, in full bloom trouble - asking for help in this whoddunnit type of mini-mystery, intertwined with the two women trying to find themselves and each other throughout the storyline. There is a message here - which basically is that you never know what will happen in your life and looks and appearance can be deceiving and that, in your life, friendship and support are extremely important and worth fighting for.

While there are some cute episodes and some actually touching moments, I did not find this book all that interesting. The premise is kind of usual and I feel as though I have read this story, in different installments, throughout the years. The main characters are okay and the writing is fine, but I just did not find myself getting all involved and committed to this book and I certainly would not qualify this one as chick litty at all.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2009 8:35:16 AM PDT
lisgel says:
I so totally agree with this rewiew, bought mine on Kindle and got to 2/3th of the book and simply don't want to go on reading it anymore.

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 4:00:36 PM PDT
Mommalou says:
I totally agree with this summary - in fact - in my reading I skipped all the dialogue about the past and fast forwarded to the relevant present materials just to complete the book quicker. Just wanted to get through it and move on to my next book.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 5:51:59 AM PST
Judi says:
i agree 100% with this review. Loved Good In Bed, coud barely finish this one

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 10:59:40 AM PST
Tracy Vest says:
I am really struggling with this book. The writing is really good, but the plot is so-so...

I think Wiener has gone downhill since she penned "Goodnight Nobody" which is when she departed from chick lit.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 1:29:28 PM PDT
I have to add my real agreement with the review and the comments above. I loved "Goodnight Nobody," however and I loved the other books. I thought this one was just mediocre.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 8:27:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2011 8:27:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 8:31:13 AM PDT
Debs says:
With so many good books out there to read, this isn't one I want to continue spending time on. I'm over halfway through and ready to call it quits. The plot isn't very engaging and the characters' actions have left me questioning their intelligence. It's my first Jennifer Wiener book and I can pretty much guarantee I'll never pick up another one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›