4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bike for the price!, May 18, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
All right, I finally purchased this bike even though I could not find ANY information on it other than on Amazon. It certainly appears that the only place this bike can be purchased is on Amazon (which unfortunately leaves a bit to be desired in the spec information department!).

The bike itself was very easy to assemble, and I've never assembled a bike before. However, it appears that one of the screws that holds the front brake wire onto the front brake lever was lost during shipping. I'll have to purchase a replacement screw but I'm am guessing the cost will be minimal. Overall, the bike took me less than 1/2 hour to assemble.

The components on the bike appear very solid, all Shimano and TruVativ. The brakes and deraileurs needed a little tweaking but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. The tires are very nice and the spokes are sharp in appearance (the spokes are black, but appeared chrome in the picture). The nozzles for the tires are standard (not those little unscrew-type nozzles that drive me crazy). The pedals are standard and do not support SPD clipless footware. If you want clipless pedals, you'll need to purchase them separate. The seat is very comfortable and angle-adjustable. Shifting is smooth. The graphics and paint are very well-done with no removable decals. The bike does not come with a kick-stand, though one is shown in the picture.

I know a couple of people in the specs section said the bike weighs 22 lbs. I purchased the 54cm model and whether I'm weighing the bike on its own or deducting my weight when holding the bike, I'm coming up with just about 24 lbs. Still not too bad for a lower-priced road bike. I'm planning on replacing the pedals with clipless, which I expect will reduce the weight a bit further.

Shipping was very fast, even with the free shipping. Ordered on Sunday, received on Friday.

The only reason I'm going with four stars instead of five is the missing screw I have to replace.

Overall, I am very happy with this bike and glad I purchased it. It was well worth the $300 I paid for it. The quality of components and light weight rival bikes at twice the price. I'm not sure how Amazon managed to corner the ENTIRE market for this bike but more power to them!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2007 1:28:40 PM PDT
T. Wu says:
Where did you end up going to get that screw replaced? I'm missing one also

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2007 9:18:42 AM PDT
Nik says:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I went to a local bike shop and they had to dig around in the "surplus parts" section of their repair shop, but they found one and didn't even charge me for it. I wish you luck on finding one!

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 12:48:33 AM PDT
Edward B says:
why are many consumers buying this product are all missing that one screw...?

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:47:06 AM PDT
It is NOT made by Schwinn. It is made by another company but labeled with the Schwinn brand name. I am not doubting that it is a decent bike, but making you think that it is made by Schwinn is dishonest. It is made by Pacific Cycle, which makes bikes for places like Walmart. Go to the Schwinn web site and search for this bike. It is not there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (108 customer reviews)

Out of stock