3.0 out of 5 stars The Good. The Bad. And the Gamepad., November 19, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Console - 32GB Black Deluxe Set (Console)
Wii U-

The Game Pad.
The good- Makes the interface with the Wii U pretty intuitive. For example, with things like Netflix, it is much easier to search for movies and such. Also, you can play some games while pooping. A big plus for me.

The bad- It's pretty clunky. Given the choice, I'd much rather game with the wiimote or the pro controller. I'm neutral-to-mildly annoyed with the whole touch screen aspect of this, but the size just kills me. If it was closer in size to the PS Vita, I'd be way happier. Also, the battery life on this thing doesnt lasr for crap. Mine usually dies after about 2 hours. And that's not even constant gaming time. Thats watching Hulu or Netflix. It baffles me that the GamePad doesn't have some sort of "sleep mode" for watching videos. Also, watching movies in a dark room? Better angle the screen away from you or you'll have a shining light in your eyes the whole time. Maybe I got a lemon or something but I feel the battery life should be WAY longer. Also, seeing as that the majority of the games that use this thing are motion oriented, playing with the chord in is a tremendous pain.

The Games
The Good- I just fricken' LOVE Mario. Also, Wii games work without a hitch. Also access to all the old NES/SNES/Genesis games. LOVE. So far, I've already played and beaten the first two Zelda Games for the NES. Also the Wii simulator runs flawlessly.

The Bad- I know I'll incur some hate for this, but "Nintendo Land" is boring and lame. It's just a way to show off the different things you can do with the Gamepad. If you don't get this game included with your system, and really want it, seriously wait until it's in the bargain bin. It'll be there. Soon. Also, I know a lot of people love it, but unless you want to spend the entire game staring at the Gamepad screen, skip Zombie U or wait till it's also in the bargain bin. It'll be right next to Nintendo Land and Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition. (A great game, but I just bought it for 15 bucks new for the PS3. Why would I pay 60 bucks just to use a gigantic controller?)

Video Streaming:
The Good: It's much easier to do a specific search for movies and TV shows on things like Amazon Prime because you have the touch pad to type everything in.

The Bad: This is by far the SLOWEST way to just peruse listed shows and movies on Hulu and Amazon. This is because everytime you click over a movie, you have to wait for the product description to load on the Game Pad screen before you can move on to another. It takes a few seconds per load and it very annoying. Netflix isn't too bad, but if I'm going to watch Hulu or Amazon, I'll do it on a different console.

The console:
The Good- It's pretty. Small. Sleek looking. I likie. I also like the user interface. It's much nicer than the PS3. About as nice as the 360, but in a different way, and access to streaming and such is free unlike Xbox Live Gold.

The Bad- My Wii U can't hold on to a Wifi network to save its life. Been looking around and this seems to be a problem for a lot of consoles. Also, the HDMI cable it came with was totally bunk and had to be replaced after a week and a half. So, that was lame.

The Controllers
The Good- Wiimotes are still super fun. Your old Wii stuff will still work with this system. However, I've heard the Motion Plus wiimotes work much better with it than others.

The Bad- I think this is the big failing of the Wii U. There's like a million controllers you need. (A million is the number past 4, right?) If you were like me and didn't own your own Wii, this can represent almost as much of an investment as the Wii U itself. Also, the backs of the Wii U games make it pretty hard to tell what controllers you may or may not use with the games. For example, ZombiU has the image for the pro controller on the back, but you can only use the pro controller in Multiplayer. Same thing with Epic Mickey and the Wiimote.

So, all together my rating is: Meh. It's not amazing. It's not horrible. It's just sort of adequate. I sort of wish I'd waited till the system was a bit more refined and developed, but you know... whatever.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 8:56:37 AM PST
Raptr4 says:
decent argument. However, you have to remember this product was mostly intended as an upgrade from the Wii its self. So those people would already have the basic controllers. If you wanted to get the controllers really cheap look here on amazon or ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:20:06 AM PST
Yeah, it definitely would have been less of an investment for me if I had a Wii before I got the Wii U. Having no Wii stuff before hand though, I bought the Wii U and some games, then took it home and was like, I have to buy all this other stuff too? Sort of deflated my purchasing experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:47:33 PM PST
R. Mounts says:
I'm really just glad we're moving away from the Wiimote thing, that was the real "make up your mind on a controller" problem what with the nun-chuck, the classic controller, and then having to even buy the Motion Plus in order to play some games, all of which were plugins for the wiimote. Why in the world did a controller plugin to another controller, Nintendo? That made no sense.

There aren't any Wii games I'm really clamoring for, so the GamePad and Pro Controllers being the only real Wii U game controllers make me content.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:51:41 PM PST
Can't you play classic games on the Wii-U through a "homebrew channel??" How do you do this? Can you use the gamepad controller??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:31:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 1:32:27 PM PST
I'm actually not sure how to do this yet. I thought by going to the e-store, I could find classic games to download and play (which I was really excited about because I'm old), but so far the only games on the store are the Wii U games. I figured the classic games will just come in time. Though I am a little disappointed they weren't available right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:38:22 PM PST
Are you looking for Wii games or NES games and possibly games even further back?

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:50:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 6:29:33 PM PST
Rob says:
If there's one thing that Nintendo is doing right is offering multiple control options. You think I want to sit on my butt twiddling thumbsticks to play a shooter? A FPS no less? Have you ever played Call Of Duty with the Wii remote? Why anyone settles for analog sticks, (which Nintendo standardized) to aim a gun in a fast paced shooting game is beyond me. That's old technology son. Name another device out there that allows you to choose between an infrared pointer, touch screen, accelerometers, analog sticks, video camera, ect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 7:29:46 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 3:29:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 23, 2012 6:11:35 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:57:04 AM PST
anonymous says:
It's great to have different cotrollers suited to different games. Not all games are the same, different types of games are better with different types of controllers.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›