4.0 out of 5 stars Great gate, but read my review before buying., March 24, 2007
This review is from: Richell 94134 One-Touch 150 Pet Gate with Autumn Matte Finish (Misc.)
I just bought this gate because I needed something semi-permanent in my living room to keep my new puppy from running all over the house. My first gate looked very cheap and kept falling down because it didn't have a door and I just propped it against the wall. I needed a gate with a door.

I checked at least 3 different sites besides Amazon for a "rich" looking gate WITH a door. I landed on this one.

PROS:

1.) Looks nice and elegant

2.) The door swings open both ways (very nice)

3.) Brown / tan (much nicer than the plastic grey colors like Grayco)

4.) Solid design (wood and steel, nice)

5.) The gate locks at the top and the bottom at the same time, making it impossible for my puppy to push his way through at the bottom.

6.) Lock is nicely positioned (but see #5 in the CONS below).

CONS:

1.) ONLY the door is wood, ALL of the gate material is metal. Would be nicer is the entire gate was the same wood and the hardware was metal.

2.) The door does not swing 180 degrees open. The door only opens to about 110 degrees so because it's not flush with the gate, my dog or kids sometimes run into it.

3.) The color of the gate does not match the door. It's close and it compliments it, but it's not a match.

4.) The rubber feet that touch the wall (I'm not talking about the adjuster knobs, because they are brown) to hold it in place against the wall are grey. At this price, they should be brown to match the gate. I don't know how the company missed this one.

5.) The handle to open the gate only works in "baby-proof" mode. I which you could deactivate the thumb button and make it so that you only have to lift up on the handle to open. Not the thumb & lift up. Just a convenience thing. It's sometimes a little tricky when both your handles are full with grocery bags.

6.) The screws are shiny silver. They should have painted them brown as well. (Richell, it your reading this, you could have anodized them dark brown like some many other screws, that way they're less noticeable.)

7.) THIS IS THE BIGGY **IMPORTANT** This gate only works in certain segments. Unless you're really handy with tools and a welding torch you must pay attention to this. This gate will ONLY fit on the following openings, NO EXCEPTIONS:

35" to 37" with no side gates (just door)

47" to 49" with one side gate attached

59" to 61" with both side gates attached

When I bought this gate, I didn't understand this and I was lucky that my opening is 47". If it was only 45" I would have had to return this gate. There is no way around this.

Overall this is a quality gate, but just know what you're getting.

I would buy this gate again if I had to make this choice all over.

I gave this gate 4 stars instead of 5 because only the door was wood. If the gates and door were wood, I would have given it 5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 14, 2007 2:49:32 PM PDT
J. Brown says:
Excellent review. One point to consider is if the gate and door were ALL wood, the dog would be more likely to chew on it.

Posted on Oct 20, 2007 8:59:32 AM PDT
Heidi White says:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! My opening is 55", and I had this in my cart to buy until I read your review. You saved me a big headache!

Posted on May 17, 2008 11:47:44 AM PDT
Chimommy says:
Thank you so much for the heads up about the door widths. Turns out that it works perfectly in the opening I bought it for but I had to go measure again just to be sure. Whew!

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 10:57:57 AM PST
D. B. Hodson says:
Great review! My opening is 44". Will not order.
Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 8:52:33 AM PST
I am just wondering that if my opening is 36" and you state that without the extensions, it will fit up to a 37" opening... I wonder if I could then get away with just purchasing the standard, even though the specification states that it only extends to 35.8 inches.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:03:37 AM PDT
I was going to order this...thank you. My opening is 51". It would not have fit. Thanks a bunch. You just saved me from wasting a lot of money.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:04:24 AM PST
L. Oktay says:
Thank you again for taking the time to post your comment. Have spent hours researching gates and was going to order until I read your review about the opening width. Will not work for me. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:18:33 AM PST
LM says:
It's fairly easy to modify the gate for openings that are not listed. Just cut one of the side segments to fit with a hacksaw or sawzall and install the hardware. No torch required as indicated on the original post.

Posted on Aug 4, 2013 8:23:50 AM PDT
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this review! We couldn't figure out how wide the gate was. I think you just saved us a bunch of bucks because this wouldn't work in our home. Have a great day!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (99 customer reviews)

$199.00 $135.00