Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is this popular?, August 21, 2012
This review is from: We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (MP3 Music)
Even though I like traditional country music I do like some-pop country. I have enjoyed pop-country from Patsy Cline to Dolly Parton to Shania Twain. Pop Country is not a new thing to country music. It has been around for decades. But make no mistake. This song is not pop country by any stretch. This is pure pop with zero country influences. Tha being said, it wouldn't be so bad if it at least had a good melody and good lyrics. For people who actually value music this will not be for you. There is zero substance here. Poor melody and very poor lyrics. If Taylor wasn't the "IN" thing this surely would not be popular. It always amazes me how people will buy whatever as long as it is the "current in" thing regardless of quality. Now I have nothing against Taylor Swift. I am sure she is a good person and you can't blame her for "cashing in." I suppose we all would if we could. But have to be honest, this is one of the lowest qualities of music I have heard in some time from a pop singer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2012 8:58:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 8:59:38 PM PDT
Walker says:
"Why is this popular?" Because it's a catchy, anthemic song that resonates with a lot of people. It's got a rather specific focus, and it apparently doesn't resonate with you. Does that make it a bad song? To you, surely. Objectively so, as you're characterizing it? ("If Taylor wasn't the 'IN' thing this surely would not be popular.") No -- as evidenced by the existence of people who like it and can tell you WHY they like it. Have you searched these people out? You're SURE they don't exist?

You have nothing against Taylor Swift? You are essentially calling her greedy, evidently because you haven't considered that a person can legitimately like such a song without being a trend-chasing fool. While I'm not crazy about the song, I have listened to its entirety, and it does NOT seem like an outright cash-grab to me. I believe there's a legitimate audience for the song, it's just that it doesn't include me. Doesn't make it an objectively bad song. No one's ridiculing me for not loving it; if they were, I would criticise them, not the song.

Why am I bothering to write this? Aren't you entitled to dislike a song? Sure you are. But, if you're going to dismiss another human being as money-hungry, and a large swath of people as a herd of fools with poor taste (since they would buy a song with "zero substance"), expect a challenge. You are NOT entitled to foist your negativity on the world without questioning as to the extent you've thought things through.

How's this different from what you've done? Aren't I just doing the same thing I say YOU'RE doing? No. I pointed out what you said, how you said it, and how it can be wrong. I'm not dismissing you; there's enough of that rubbish in the world. Challenge my ideas if you wish.

What could you have done differently? Aren't you entitled to dislike the song? Again, sure. But say something like "I didn't like the song. I don't like the melody or the lyrics; I feel like it lacks substance, and it just doesn't resonate with me. It sounds too much like a generic summer pop song to me. I say pass." There, you communicate your dislike, without unwarranted dismissal of the legitimate actions and feelings of others.

Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 8:02:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 8:11:29 AM PDT
Tom says:
Wow, I must have struck a nerve with you Walker. You have your opinion and I have mine. I have no idea weather her and her record company are greedy or not, but this song was without a doubt written specifically for radio by 3 songwriters for the sole purpose of getting radio play. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. It is business, but I personally think it takes away the chance for country music fans to get real country music on the radio as it makes the executives just want more of this for the almighty dollar. Not that it is Taylors fault. Again, just an opinion. If Taylor is going to stay in the industry long enough to become a legend (say like Dolly Parton, Madonna, etc) then she will realize that people will have opinions. You are entitled to disagree with me but I don't think my opinions were rude or insensitive. And I truly believe this song is a "one star" song at best. If you think it desearves a higher and better review, then post yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 8:22:19 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 9:35:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 9:38:12 AM PDT
Tom says:
I don't believe my comments are "dismissive" or Unreasanable", but if you believe they are that is fine with me. I respect your opinion. I also beleive people can legitimately like this song, just not me and many others. I highly doubt most people who buy this song listen much to music lyrics but who knows, I could be wrong. Radio programmers choose songs that they think the can MARKET to the masses. I get that very well. Thats why DJ's no longer have a say so on what is played. Its just the way it is. Executives choose what is played on the radio. Fans only influence that. When a song goes #1 in one week its not out of fan response because most fans didn't have a chance to even hear it yet. For a song to go #1 that quick its because radio programmers programmed that song to be played the most.

What I don't understand is why my OPINION is so important to you? Are you working for the record label or for Taylor? Your opinions on my review were more negative than my initial comments. Either way, I am sorry to say that I doubt you will be agle to change my opinion on this song. Amazon lets anyone post a review, so if hundreds of other people write reviews to say they love the song that is fine by me. I don't follow music trends or what is fashionable, cool, etc. I will like what I like without infuence of pop or country radio. When I hear a song that I believe is great I give it 5 stars. When I PERSONALLY believe it is not I will give it the stars that I believe it desearvs. Others should do the same. When I see an artist/CD that I love and I see someone give it a bad/negative review it does not bother me cause I believe Quality music will stand the test of time regardless of its CHART success. Chart success doed not impress me at all. I look at this song like a product. If I had not heard the song twice I would not have reviewed it at all. But I heard it on the radio twice and I simply gave my opinion on this product. I am sorry you are so upset by my opinion

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 6:57:32 PM PDT
Walker says:
Again, and for the last time, I don't have a problem with you having an opinion. Nor do I have a problem with you having a negative opinion. My problem from the beginning has been with the way you've chosen to share your negative opinion. That I have to repeat this again makes me wonder if you've thought about what I said -- beyond simply reading it.

Am I a secret lobbyist for Taylor Swift or the music industry? Do you suppose this is an effective way to manipulate public opinion? No, I'm not. I like a few of her songs, but I'm not a big fan -- as a young man, I'm not the target audience, and I'm fine with that. It doesn't mean the music is bad, just not for me. This stance is supported by the fact that there are folks out there who genuinely like such music and can articulate why they like it.

My goal isn't and has never been to make you like the song; it's been to encourage more respectful discourse. If you'd like to refute what I've said, please reference specific passages and speak to how they are inaccurate or unfairly negative.

Were we having this discussion in person, I'd be glad to talk at length. If you have specific things you'd like me to clarify, I'll respond in the future. To be clear: this is not only about you and your opinion, my writing is intended to challenge a sort of discourse that I believe is counter-productive.

Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 7:04:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 7:08:15 AM PDT
Tom says:
Walker, you are basically stating that you have a more intelligent way of expressing an opinion than me. I disagree. I am assuming you are still very young as you can't get past that people can not only have opinions but can express them in the way they choose to do so. I will share my opininon the way I choose. You say you are writing to challange a sort of discourse that you believe is conter-productive? Again, I disagree with you, but you don't seem to think its ok to disagree. I can't help you with that. You also say that just because someone is not the target audience that doesn't make a song bad. That is very true, but what also is true is that there really are BAD songs regardless of its audience and chart success. Almost every song can have a fan. Does that automatically make it a good song? do you believe that a bad song has never been written? That statmement makes me assume you are still very young, so I will no longer reply to this as this argument is getting old. I think YOU can express your opinions better if you write them in your own review. You could even critisize my review in your review. Somehow, I don't think I will get as upset as you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 12:35:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 12:43:21 AM PDT
You ought to read my review of the song; it's a mouthful. I do believe Tom that your review does have some substance. I don't quite see how you label Swift as greedy as Walker suggests. I'm sure, like every group, there's pressure to conform.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 3:33:04 PM PDT
Walker says:
"I don't quite see how you label Swift as greedy..." See "you can't blame her for 'cashing in'" from his review. What does "cashing in" mean to you? Does it carry a positive or even neutral connotation? If someone said you were "cashing in" on something, does that not speak to greediness?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 4:03:14 PM PDT