3.0 out of 5 stars Apple failed on this lightning adapter, November 25, 2012
I own a portable stereo that has a 30 pin connector. I have this unit so I can listen to music and charge my device at the same time.
However after buying a new iPhone 5 I had to purchase this adapter in the hope that it would do the same......no it doesn't.
Does this allow my phone to play music: yes
Does it charge the unit at the same time: no

As a matter of fact my phone says it is incompatible with this device and quits playing through the speaker, occasionally. This adapter also makes the unit sit too high off the device and I am just waiting for it to topple over.

There are no new stereo devices on the market to utilize the new connector, and because the adapter does not allow the unit to be charged while plugged in, I am wondering if one ever will be made.

I gave 3 stars because it does allow my phone to play through the system, otherwise I would give 1 star as it is a waste of money as I can do the same thing with an AUX cable connection that I have that I paid $3.00 for two years ago.......
My stereo is an ALTEC LANSING iMT520 made specifically for iPod and iPhone (pre-iPhone 5).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 1:46:18 PM PST
I have a Bose and got the connector to play the music on my Iphone 5, but it does not work unless I remove my Iphone case that that Apple store sold me. So annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:13:43 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:31:33 PM PST
Tim Scherer says:
How is this helpful in any way? The review is based on the product, what do you want anyone to say? It doesn't work as it's intended.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:06:50 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 1:48:21 PM PST
MBCLN72 says:
Same here!! Completely worthless for me!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:56:51 AM PST
I also have a portable stereo and after much research we found out that it doesn't charge the device because it is no longer compatible with the new apple software. So when docked it doesn't recognize the device to charge but it will still play music. We are considering of purchasing another portable stereo that will keep up with the constant apple updates.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 7:44:59 PM PDT
Scrufty says:
I have a iluv workstation with 30 pin connection with speakers and even a keyboard, and this adapter gets everything working and charging at the same time, for both my iPad 4 and iPhone 5.

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 9:31:28 AM PDT
J. Adams says:
This adaptor plays music and charges simultaneously with my Bose sound dock and my JBL sound dock.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2013 11:07:56 PM PDT
ElainS says:
Thanks super helpful! I have a Bose SoundDock and was wondering the exact same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2013 7:21:36 PM PDT
M. Shults says:
Karen, putting the issue of the protective case aside: Does this adapter allow you to charge your phone AND play audio AND use the remote that came with your Bose sound dock with your iPhone 5? OR does it just allow audio and not charge the phone and not relay the start/pause/fwd/back commands from the Bose sound dock?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›