5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for perimenopausal symptoms!, October 2, 2013
This review is from: The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol (Hardcover)
I've been dealing with perimenopausal symptoms for about a year, ever since I turned 41. I just haven't felt like myself -- and have felt run down, exhausted, and completely low energy. My blood work has been coming back fine, so in my online searching for more information about perimenopause, I came across an article by Dr. Sara Gottfried that led me to this book. As soon as I read the introductory anecdote about a woman who had the same symptoms I was having, I knew that this book would really help -- and it has so far!

As other reviewers have mentioned, the book opens with a detailed questionnaire that helps you identify what hormonal issues are ailing you. From there, the book includes chapters on all of the various hormonal issues. Each chapter starts with a thorough explanation of the science behind the hormone being discussed, which Dr. Gottfried backs up with a detailed bibliography of articles from peer-reviewed scientific journals.

Each chapter also outlines the suggested protocols, which are given to you in stages. The idea is to start at Stage 1, which usually focuses on lifestyle adjustments and the use of vitamins/herbs, before kicking things into Stage 2 or 3 if the Stage 1 changes aren't working.

What I especially appreciate is how Dr. Gottfried takes a holistic approach to looking at a woman's entire lifestyle and way of coping with stress, instead of just prescribing medication.

At the end of the book there are several Appendixes that are very valuable. The two that I've found most helpful is one that gives charts for each hormonal issue and that explains exactly what you should be doing to alleviate that problem, and a second that gives you specific language and questions to ask your doctor to make sure that she or he is willing to listen to your hormonal issues.

I'm just getting started with Dr. Gottfried's recommended protocols for my hormonal issues, but am already feeling relief from my symptoms. I will be sure to update my review soon, but, in the meantime, I definitely recommend checking out this book if you're in need of balancing not only your hormones, but also you life.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]