Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but Short, April 13, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Lets get this out in the open: Spirit Camera is a short game, there is no getting away from that fact. 5 hours tops. Now for the good: Impressive AR use, 3D done well on the system and some great mini-games. Fatal Frame series fans and those with a particular love for Japanese horror will be more forgiving with the lack of content. I myself bought the game because of it's superb use of Augmented Reality.

This game is a spin-off from the Fatal Frame series where you defeat enemy ghosts using a camera. On 3DS the system's Augmented Reality capabilities make this much more fun than in the origonal series. The Story Mode is where most of the content can be found. This mode you scan an physical book included with the game to advance the story while you hunt ghosts using your 3DS as a ghost killing camera. The story mode now is sadly only 2-3 hours long. The mini-games flesh it out a little bit more - adding 1-2 hours of extra game play. Overall, the game is fun but short. You can play it additional times on a harder difficulty level - I did this and it did help flesh it out a bit.

I knew going in that the game was very good and very different but short. If you are a Fatal Frame fan or horror fan I say pick it up - you'll be glad you did.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2012 2:22:22 PM PDT
C. Forman says:
Thanks for the review. I pulled back from picking this up because of a couple of magazine reviews where the reviewers had problems getting the AR camera and diary functionality to work correctly. Did you experience any difficulty with this?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 9:20:00 PM PDT
None at all worked perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 9:35:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 9:36:25 PM PDT
Binh N. Vu says:
I think the problem was, they wanted to play the game in the dark so it'd be scarier lmfao AR only works if it can see the image clearly. Doesn't work if it can't see the image on the book. If you want to play in the dark, scan the book to a computer and play it off the screen or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 3:06:58 PM PDT
I definitely had problems getting it to work. I wanted to love this game, but I was in a 30 square foot space with a lamp and ceiling lights (an array of four bulbs) and it was not enough light to allow the camera to see the booklet most of the time.

I finished the game in about an hour and a half. This is a $40 game, and I think that's unacceptable. The minigames aren't really that fun, and New Game+ is more of the same. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I still think that it is way too short for its price. If it's at all possible for you to try the game before buying, I would suggest doing it. I'm glad the original poster for the article liked the game and had no problems, but it seems to be a very fickle game in my experience.

I'd like to note that I'm also a fan of Japanese horror like Kairo and Ju-On and Ringu and Chakushin Ari in particular. I love manga by Junji Ito as well, but this was very tired and boring excuse of a storyline. I was very unhappy with this game, and I wanted to like it so much. I have great love for the Fatal Frame series and for the genre. Even when giving the game the benefit of the doubt in that regard... I still feel very bad about my purchase.

I just hope this doesn't hurt the chances of the Wii version of Crimson Butterfly.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 3:53:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 4:01:00 PM PDT
K.hang says:
I'm a big Fatal Frame fan and this game is not Fatal Frame.
They "casual" this game to death.

For a Nintendo game this might be great since Nintendo don't get these types of games, but for real gamers, the game suck more than the name..Spirit Camera.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:17:40 PM PDT
C. Forman says:
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'd like to play this with as much darkness as possible, so I'll probably go with scanning the diary or using a desk lamp like another reviewer suggested. In any case, one thing everybody seems to agree on is the length. I just can't justify spending $40 on a 2-3 hour game, so I think I'll wait for a price drop.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 5:46:55 PM PDT
Really, I think this might have been better as an eShop game, maybe with an interactive AR website or something. At a cheaper price, I probably would have been much more lenient on the shortcomings of this game. I hope you end up getting it for far cheaper, because it had a lot of potential, and I think it's at least an interesting experience. If only to allow us to think of the many different ways they could have done things better.

Sort-of spoilers may follow. This section was in a preview video of the game, though, so it's nothing major:

There is a part near the very beginning of the game where you are taken to the house by the diary. In this section you walk on rails through a hallway, and can look around at the area using the gyro on the 3DS. I think that they might have had an opportunity to add some much needed exploration and length to the game by having more sequences like this (maybe not on rails, but with movement using the circle pad) but you never return to a sequence like that again. I think this game might have been much better with more sequences like that one. It was actually somewhat creepy, and about the most enjoyable part of the game for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›