Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

1,008 of 1,014 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting guide for those unsure (at the bottom), October 31, 2009
This review is from: Speedo Women's Race Learn to Swim Super Pro Swimsuit (Sports)
Alright, I went out on a limb when I bought this because, let's be realistic: one cannot hope to find a bathing suit at the end of the October for a good price. Enter: Amazon. I just got this bathing suit last week, and I have to say it is great. I am a 'more-than-average swimmer', I go swimming 3-4 times a week, even during the winter months (I swim in an indoor pool...).

Pros --
1. Very happy with the slimming of this new bathing suit as compared to my worn and stretched-out version (and also 'see-thru' spots where the chlorine got to it). It slims down the body very well and makes the legs look lengthy (something I need since I have short legs)

2. Since I swim in an indoor pool, it is, of course, a public pool with a high chlorine content. I chose to go with Blue instead of Black (because black, it seems to me, is more easily able to see the chlorine effects after a period of time), and so far the fabric seems to be holding up just fine against the outrageous chlorine content of the public pool.

3. I didn't buy this suit for style: I bought it because I needed something that I could wear 4 times a week at the gym. If you are looking for something stylish (and possibly low-cut), look elsewhere. But I needed a bathing suit that wouldn't 'ride down' when I was swimming, and this one is high-cut, which is just what I need to keep the ladies in place while I swim.

Cons --
1. Amazon is usually very fast with their shipping. I don't know if it is the time of year and I'm buying a stupid bathing suit or what, but the shipping this time was about 7-8 days, where usually it is about 3-4 days. If you need one quickly and it is during the 'not normal time' to buy a bathing suit in your corner of the universe, then I would go with the 1-2 day shipping or get it somewhere else.

2. Sizing. Oh boy. Let me just say this: if you are "pear-shaped", go with one size up from your cup size. I bought a 36 but I'm having a hard time getting my ass into it, next time I think I will go with the 38 and see how that turns out.

SIZING TIPS
------------------
Of course, anything can help at this point, right? When you click on the "Sizing Chart", it gives you a sizing chart for Amazon.com, and NOT for Speedo. Don't even bother going to the Speedo website (unless you live outside the US, I mean), because it gives the whole sizing chart in centimeters, ugh. Speedo sizing chart can be found here:

Amazon doesn't let me post the website but it is Dick's Sporting Goods store, go to google and type in this (leave out the quotes):
"dicks womens bathing suit sizing chart"

Start with your bra size as a baseline, and adjust up or down depending on your waistline (or butt-line, in my case).
======================================================================
UPDATE 7/1/2010 - First: Thanks everyone for the 'helpful' votes! Didn't realize buying a bathing suit online was so popular! Second: I have been using this bathing suit, as I said in my review, 3-4 times a week at the gym. It it just now starting to show signs of 'stretching' in certain places, but I stand by my review I made back in October: get this bathing suit! Although in my review it says to order 'one size up', I think I am going to order a 36 again, because it does stretch (eventually) around the butt-area after a few uses. I actually logged in to buy another suit, and imagine my surprise when I came to this page: the review I made a year ago is at the top! Thanks for the votes! :)
======================================================================
UPDATE 6/17/2011 - I should really visit Amazon more often, thanks for the upvotes, everyone! :) Since I posted this review a few years ago, I have bought approximately 4 bathing suits (same suit, Speedo) from Amazon. The first two I stretched out from swimming in a public swimming pool (as stated above). I used one blue one and one black one. The black one, it seemed to me, was more easily able to 'stretch out' after only a few months' worth of using. Just an FYI, but I would definitely use this suit as a backup and/or for swimming on a more regular basis at the gym -
======================================================================
LAST AND FINAL UPDATE 1/21/2013 - WOW. Speedo should be wondering what all the fuss is about over their bathing suit. When I first wrote this, there was zero help online for fitting guides for bathing suits, and this bathing suit had one or two reviews. Now with over 250 reviews, I think I should write a letter to Speedo and ask them for a free suit, for all these new customers that I potentially brought in! As for the bathing suit: I don't go swimming anymore at the gym. The last one I bought, back in June of 2012, works great as a back-up bathing suit when I go to the beach, and sometimes I wear it as my regular bathing suit, too. It's slimming and fits great. I still buy the 36 size, as it does stretch out in the butt-area after a few uses. I also only buy the Blue/Navy one now, as it seems to keep its shape longer than the black.

People also ask me what I buy to workout with. I use this cap (http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-751104-Silicone-Swim-Cap/dp/B00074USZQ/), and these goggles (http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Womens-Vanquisher-Swim-Goggle/dp/B00074USP6/), both by Speedo. I have reviews on those products, too, if you look at my review history!

Thanks again for the Helpful Votes, and thanks especially to Amazon for letting me spread the word about buying a bathing suit online. Don't be afraid, ladies! And don't forget to review your purchases!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2010 11:02:59 PM PDT
skye dusk says:
Thank you so much for the helpful hint and website for the sizing! I never really buy swimsuits so I never know what's my size! This was a very helpful review indeed :)!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 4:23:04 AM PDT
agreed! I'm a new swimmer buying my first real swim suit and found the information in this review extremely helpful. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 4:11:00 PM PDT
Being a swimmer I (used to) go through suits so fast. Meaning I have maybe 2 suits I can wear by themselves without a "drag suit" on top. More of an issue of course when high school came around..lol One time in HS swimming someone had a suit stretched out so much and tied together in so many places, these 4 girls all dressed up in their tights, 2 suits, caps and goggles on their heads and all got into that suit at the same time. It was so ridiculous that I had to take pictures. And Speedo is basically the only brand of suit that has the right fit and durability in my time. But terrible tan lines.. ha :)

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 5:26:54 PM PST
smb8d says:
This is the most helpful explanation of swimsuit sizing I have EVER seen. Thank you.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 6:24:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 6:27:08 AM PDT
winniepoo says:
This swimsuit really fits well if you get the right size.I have been buying this same suit for the last 2 years,and even though I do not get too much wear from them I continue to buy it because , it holds you so well,everything is tucked in. I am afraid to even try another style as I know what I have with this one, I only wish that I would get some more wear out of it.I bought 2 last year and I'm now looking to buy another one as both have worn out.I tried Speedo chlorine cleaner,this did not help,I think that I got less wear using the cleaner,the colour stayed intact but the stretch just disintegrated.I may just have to upgrade to another style.

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 2:38:38 PM PDT
Macfan says:
I just bought a speedo swimming suit for water aerobics 3 times per week. it's 80 % nylon 20% Lycra Built with Xtra Life LYCRA® fiber: Did your swimming suit fade a lot? I bought a dark purple swimming suit. I'm hoping it doesn't fade.

Posted on Jan 15, 2014 12:12:34 AM PST
Pink Panther says:
Thanks for the tip to check out Dick's Sporting Goods' sizing chart! I've been so confused about the sizing chart on Amazon...finally, some clarity! =)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›