4.0 out of 5 stars (4.5 stars) Very good, and not THAT heavy!, August 28, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
I bought two of these (burgundy for my wife's graphite kindle and green for my white kindle).

The colors are gorgeous, and exactly as shown in the pictures Amazon has here.

The look and feel of the leather is very good and should more than satisfy most folks. If you're willing to spend more for even better leather, you'll soon be able to get high-end leather cases from designers like Cole-Haan. (If you're interested, look up their Kindle 2 cases here at Amazon and you're get an idea of what they're likely to offer for Kindle 3).

We love the design. We've had no trouble hooking our kindles in and out of the case. We love that the light is built in and we will never need to replace its battery. The cover folds completely flat around the back, and the elastic band keeps it there, then it's easy and quite comfortable to hold in one hand for long reading sessions.

A few reviews here complain about the weight of this case. I disagree. It is not heavy compared to other cases of this type (folio-style hard shell leather cases). My wife and I were up reading for hours last night, holding our kindles, cases on, in one hand, with no fatigue. (We're such an old married couple, that's how exciting our Friday nights are!) I used to have a nook with the same type of case (minus the light), and it was noticeably heavier. If you want something lighter, consider a neoprene sleeve or cloth case.

My only qualm about the Amazon lighted case is the uneven distribution of light on the screen - very bright in the upper right corner, dim in the lower left corner. It seems this doesn't bother most people here, but it bothers me a bit, enough to knock half a star off my review, but not enough to make me hesitate to recommend this case.

Some folks complain about the price. It is high, to be sure. But, you'd pay about the same if you bought a good leather case and a separate light. Then you'd have to worry about remembering to pack the light when you travel, making sure it has fresh batteries, making sure you don't lose it, etc etc. For me, the convenience of the built-in light is well worth the price.

And there's something intangible but very very nice about keeping our kindles in these gorgeous, almost luxuriously nice cases. They are definitely eye-catching and lust-worthy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2010 7:20:12 AM PDT
Ron - I see from your review that you have both a graphite and white K3 in the house. Obviously its a personal decision that only I can decide for myself, but I'm still agonizing over whether to get white or graphite. I should be able to tell from the pics, but just wondering what you two think now that you have them. My gut says I'd like white, but I was hoping to go wi-fi only which is only graphite (btw, do you have insight as to why there is no color choice for the wi-fi only model?). Also, even though my hygiene is good :-) I was concerned about white getting dingy over time. Thanks for any help on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 7:49:12 AM PDT
Yes, we have both, and I really can't say that one's better than the other. Some people (both in published reviews and comments from regular joes and janes) think the darker border around the edge makes the text stand out more. My wife agrees, and I trust her judgment. But I cannot tell the difference. Plus, the absence of dark frames around pages in real books has never been a problem for me.

So we're down to personal preference. I can tell you I picked white for entirely superficial reasons. I like it a little better. I think it goes better with more of the colors that Amazon's new case comes in. And I think that, because the graphite color is new and all the rage, white will become the rarer color for K3s, and I like having the thing that most people don't have. (Of course, tens of thousands already have white K1s and K2s, so my white kindle won't be THAT rare.)

White will show nicks and stains more than graphite, but my hope is that I can prevent most of them by keeping my kindle in its case.

I'm guessing that it costs Amazon more to offer color choices. The wifi version will be their high volume model, and to offer it at a low price Amazon has limited the color choice to graphite only.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 9:38:00 PM PST
L. Cook says:
have you had any trouble with the hinges scratching your kindles?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (4,613 customer reviews)
 (2,983)