4.0 out of 5 stars Great System for the Price, Very Good Sound!, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System with Built-In Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Recently got a Sharp 3D LED Smart TV and could no longer stand limiting myself to DVD. I went into my research with quite a few requirements the most important being the speakers needed to be hung using my existing threaded speaker mounts. This is the only sub $300 systems i could find that can be hung using threaded speaker mounts. Unfortunately in Sony's quest to make set up as easy as possible the speaker wires are hard wired to the speakers. I have surround sound pre-wired in my house and was forced to splice connections for it to work. Just kind of silly that they would have threading to mount but then have the cables hard wired. Sony's easy set up is great for novices but can cause some extra work for those with a bit more experience. This wasn't a deal breaker but it is the reason I only gave it 4 stars.
The next requirement I had was to leverage the HDMI linking functionality (BRAVIA Link by Sony, AQUAS Link by Sharp, Viera Link by Panasonic) which allows you to control TV and surround sound system with 1 remote. Before I found a killer deal on my Sharp TV I was going to go the Panasonic route, but I cannot pass up a good deal. This meant I would have to either use a sharp surround sound or pay $$$$ for a harmony remote. Getting a Sharp surround sound was out as they do not offer Blu-ray/Surround sound in 1. Before dropping a whole bunch of money for the Harmony remote I decided to see what would happen when I hooked everything up and to my great surprise the link function worked. This allows me to control the volume and power on and off the system. It also automatically switches TV inputs when I put in a Blu-ray or DVD. Essentially my surround sound system has become my TV speakers without me having to push any extra buttons, ever! I can control everything I need using the DirecTV remote.
I am very pleased with the quality of sound produced by the system though audio from the TV link is at a lower level than audio from the Blu-ray or other sources.
Comparing with my new Smart TV the GUI overall does not seem quite as polished. Despite this, I am very pleased with the huge amount of streaming options available on this system. There are at least double the options compared with my new Sharp Smart TV (including Amazon). I'll take content over polish any day!
I am still trying to work out exactly how to utilize the NFC connection for streaming audio. I've been able to do it a few times but I have not been able to wake the system out of standby mode using my NFC Smartphone. Generally I'm pleased with the Bluetooth audio streaming function. It is much more convenient to than using the native Pandora or other streaming music players allowing you complete control without requiring you to have your TV on.
Great Job Sony!

9/25/13 Update

So I've had my Sony for a few months now and am still very pleased with it. Just a few things that I have experienced: Sometimes the audio link between my Sharp TV and the Sony gets confused (audio will play from both TV and surround sound or no audio from either). It isnt really a big deal I just have to turn both TV and Sony off and then restart and the issue is fixed. Happens maybe once every 2-3 weeks (usually because my kids are playing with the remotes).
Because my Audio is linked with my tv the receiver is never really "off" it just goes into standby mode. Start up is very quick but the shut down into standby mode seems to take quite a while, sometimes 30 seconds or so. Not a huge deal, just kinda annoying when my 5 year old turns off the sony while i'm still watching TV. Takes almost a min to get everything back up and running.
A month or two ago I had an issue with the Sony not being able to connect Netflix. It would error out even before getting to a log in screen. For a few weeks I ran netflix through my Smart TV but it really sucked as there was no way to route the sound to my sony. Tried a few things and finally got it fixed by resetting my TV to factory specs. I'm not sure why re-setting my TV fixed my surround sound netflix connection issues but it did. I have not had any Netflix issues since. works great!
Very pleased with the TV SideView: Remote by Sony app for my android phone. Recently the Sony remote was lost (yes my my 5 year old hid it; are you sensing a theme here...) spent about 10 min looking for it because I wanted to watch netflix (my direcTV remote will do everything i need for watching tv and blurays but will not navigate very well in the streaming apps) and then I remembered that I had the remote app. It works perfectly and does everything the real remote can do and allows you to enter text. Used the app for the next week until I was able to get my 5 year old to tell me where he hid the real remote.

Overall I am still very very happy with the Sony. Works very well streaming, playing BluRays and DVDs and even 3D blurays/directv 3d content (haven't done this too much). Still a wonderful unit!

8/11/2014 Update
Recently moved and spent about 4 hours connecting my "in wall" surround sound set up (thanks again for hard wiring the cables to the speakers Sony). Anyway, heat shrink is a great thing. I no longer have DirecTV but the same setup with the Bravia link works with my HD DVR from the cable company.
I did have an issue with the audio being off when watching Blu Rays and especially DVDs. My understanding is it is a delay caused by tv processing, but some quick minor adjustments to the BDV-e3100 A/V sync feature fixed it. Also, if you happen to lose the remote (thanks kids) and you wife does not want to use the sony app it is not available on Sony's web site. You will have to call and it will set you back about $30 when you add in shipping and tax. Still very happy with the system. Works perfectly for my needs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2013 6:59:00 AM PDT
ADG says:
Regarding the hard-wired speakers, did you just use wire caps to connect your surround speakers? My living room is already wired up so a little disappointed I cannot simply plug those wires into the speakers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2013 6:44:54 PM PDT
R. Anderson says:
There are a variety of ways to connect the wires but you are forced to cut and splice if you have a built in system. I cut the wires about 6 inches from the speaker, stripped them and then use heat shrink so it was clean. In my house you would be able to see bulky wire caps. The other end of the cut I connected to the speaker plate on my wall. As a side note I decided not to shorten any of the sony speaker wires after the initial cut and as a result there are big bundles of speaker sony cable between the main system and the speaker plate on the wall. Did this in case I ever move somewhere without built in speaker wires I can just splice my original cut back together and it will work.

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 10:47:08 AM PDT
Gregory says:
When turning the SS unit on, does it return back to the connected device when previously shutdown or does it always open at the home page? My preference is that the SS receiver connects to the Direct TV input each time the unit is turned on without first taking me to the home page to select it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2013 6:40:14 AM PDT
R. Anderson says:
I rarely ever turn on the Surround Sound unit directly; instead I turn on my TV and that in turn will take the Sony out of stand by mode. Since I have a pretty basic set up (Only TV, DirecTV and Sony) it does default to my DirecTV. However, there have been a few times when it doesn't. This sometimes occurs after I have been listening to music using the Bluetooth function and will require me to press the function button on the Sony remote until it goes back to "TV". I'm not sure if this is because I have a Sharp TV and a Sony BluRay or what. For me the TV (DirecTV) defaults about 95% of the time and when it doesn't it isn't a big deal to fix it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 7:35:18 PM PDT
How is the audio for music?
How load does it get?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 5:03:19 AM PDT
R. Anderson says:
Overall I've been very happy with the audio from this receiver. Mine is in my main living area which is quite large 35 ft by 25 ft and it has no problem filling the area with music. The only thing I have noticed is that the audio from my linked Sharp TV is at a little lower level then audio from other sources (Blu-ray, dvd, bluetooth,etc.) despite this I am still happy with with the audio quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 7:10:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2013 7:15:15 AM PDT
Carolyn Rios says:
what size of sharp tv do you have it connected with? Do I have to get a smart TV to work with the Sony home theater system?

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 2:38:41 PM PDT
Erij Ahmed says:
how many hdmi inputs does is have please? and making sure its the model Sony BDV-E3100

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013 8:02:26 AM PDT
R. Anderson says:
I have a 60 inch. I have found that i do not use the Shart smart tv apps simply because the Sony has way more than Sharp. It is possible to use both though. For a time I was using the sharp TV for netflix as I could not get the sony to connect (fixed it by resetting both my TV and BluRay). The problem I had with running netflix (or other Smart TV apps) through the tv us the sound would only come out of the TV speakers which are horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013 8:05:28 AM PDT
R. Anderson says:
My Sony BDV-E3100 has ZERO (0) HDMI inputs. It does have a digital optical input and the HDMI output has ARC (audio return channel) capabilities. For my setup TV, BluRay DirecTV it works great! If you want to connect more devices you will prob need a system that includes at least 1 HDMI input.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›