3.0 out of 5 stars [Updated 7/14/2012] A decent laptop, June 29, 2012
This review is from: ASUS Zenbook UX31A-DB51 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
Update3: My newer unit even had wireless problems after awhile. It wasn't really an n-router problem because I disabled n-mode and was still having trouble connecting to regular g or b. My new one also had horrible backlight bleeding. It turns out that I got fed up of this laptop after reading the cons so I just returned it for now. I may get the UX31A-DB51 again, but for now I am laptop-less. I just feel like Asus has not put enough time into ensuring that users get the optimal experience. It shouldn't take 3 Zenbooks for a user to not experience wireless problems or have a good trackpad or something.

Update2: Got my new Zenbook. It also had Wireless problems, but they weren't as bad as my old one. I was able to fix these problems by tweaking my router settings. Everything is great now. Anyways, for the sake of testing out this keyboard, I might as well finish this review.

Pros:
- Amazing 1080p display
- Great Bang & Olufsen sound
- Looks very nice
- Backlit keyboard
- Fast Ivy Bridge processor
- Very fast startup times
- Great Amazon warranty - replaced in 1 day
- Excellently packed + sleeve given
- Very light and portable

Cons:
- Wireless problems. If you have an n-router, you WILL need to tweak out your settings
- Comes with a lot of bloatware
- Battery life is just "okay"
- Touchpad needs to be tweaked in the settings before it is usable
- Colors on display are a little saturated
- The Fn key needs to be used to access volume and brightness control by pressing Fn+F-key combo. I think it would be a lot more useful if those volume and brightness keys were able to be pressed without Fn, and Fn would be used only to access the actions of the F-keys. I'm making it sound complicated, but I basically mean the opposite of what it is now.
- Asus tech support is pretty much useless. They assume you're some amateur with computers. You're better off just returning your Zenbook to Amazon if you think you have a major problem because they give you free 1-day shipping anyways.

Update: After trying many things to try and fix my network issues, I have decided just to get a replacement. Amazon is coming to pick mine up tomorrow and will give me a new one. I will update about my new Zenbook once it comes.

Just got my product. I love the 1080p display, the Bang & Olufsen sound, super speedy ADATA SSD, and basically everything about it. However, I have experienced a MAJOR problem that just makes this product annoying for me. I've had issues connecting to my Wireless Internet ever since I got the laptop. It was the first thing I noticed and did not leave a good impression. When I click connect to my network, the Zenbook takes ages to connect and usually stops at "Limited access" or "No network access". After several attempts, it *sometimes* connects to the internet. I know for a fact that it isn't a problem with my internet because the 3 other laptops that I have connect to the network easily. I also tried tethering the Mobile Network from my phone onto the laptop via WiFi and it wouldn't work. I've been trying to fix this and I'm going to call Asus to try to fix this problem. Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue and I won't have to return it. Asides from this problem, the laptop is great and I'm excited to use it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2012 6:56:33 PM PDT
foot attack says:
I have this Zenbook too, and I agree that it's about as close to perfect as you can get in any ultrabook that's out there right now! :)
I had the same thing happen at first with the wireless card connecting to my network at home, which uses an n-mode router. I didn't have the problem using it at work, because they use old g-mode routers on the wireless network there. We disabled/re-enabled the n-mode on the properties of the wireless adapter, and never had a problem with it again. It connects using 802.11n every time now and is super fast. It seems to be a Windows driver issue causing this flakiness, and I'm hoping for a driver update soon, but in the meantime the workaround is simple. I found someone else describe this issue on a review here http://www.amazon.com/review/R1D4IK2D3PFSZ6/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00863L3K4&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:43:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 11:55:09 PM PDT
Imran says:
Okay so I went through Network Adapter properties and switched n-mode off and then back on. Unfortunately nothing changed :/ Maybe mine is a separate issue than yours. I also still have the Limited Access problem if I try to connect to the internet with n-mode off.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:43:51 AM PDT
James H. Cho says:
I just returned this laptop because it started with an wifi issue, which you can read about in my review at the update on the top. I tried everything and it just wouldn't work and experienced the really slow or failed connection thing you mentioned as well. This seems to be a prevalent issue depending on the amount of comments about it. However, mine had nothing to do with the N-router. I also tried resetting it to factory condition like someone mentioned in that AB71 review foot attack posted, and got an endless cycle of shutting down and rebooting that I could not stop unless I force shut the laptop down. That person also said he got an "Error" screen when he tried to do a factory reboot.. As a new laptop, I don't feel like I need to be dealing with issues like that, so I've sent it back and Amazon is sending me a replacement which should arrive tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that this new one won't give me any problems. Please update if you do ever find out what's causing the wifi problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 6:43:27 AM PDT
foot attack says:
Maybe the symptoms/fixes for this problem are different depending on the router it's connecting to. I've never had a problem connecting to the wi-fi router where I work with the zenbook, I had the problem with N-mode on my wireless router at home until the workaround, and your problem does sound like a similar but different problem from mine. What a total pain to deal with, but hopefully a replacement will resolve the issue. I wouldn't hesitate to return/exchange it either if mine was continuing to have the problem

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 9:36:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 11:30:37 PM PDT
Imran says:
Sent in a request for a replacement through Amazon. It's Sunday tomorrow so UPS won't pick it up until Monday but hopefully I can get a working model as my second. Does anyone know anything about replacement costs? I can't find much info.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 1:47:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 1:50:07 PM PDT
RatuKamina says:
I ordered the Zenbook Prime with discrete graphics which is temporarily out of stock right now. I suggest to go to intel website and download the tool to automatically check for driver updates for intel devices inside the ultrabook and let it run. I am pretty sure you will receive updates for both the HD 4000 graphics, intel wireless n module and maybe the chipset driver as well. See if the updated driver helps.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 3:11:21 PM PDT
ASUS Support says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your review on our Zenbook Prime. I am sad to see that you eventually had to return the unit. I am glad, however, that you were able to return it without any issues. While the work-around with the wireless settings seems to help a lot of the people experiencing wireless connectivity issues, it shouldn't be like that. The Zenbook should be able to operate on the N settings. I know you have since returned the unit, but that is certainly an issue that we can address via RMA. Hopefully, this will help people who are having issues connecting to their routers. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at cl-tien@asus.com. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Best Regards,

Tien
ASUS Customer Loyalty

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 7:07:17 PM PDT
The solution I found for wifi was to set both the computer and the router to the same channel (I chose 11 since my computer was already set on that). See the faqs on the asus ux31a support webpage for more info and other suggestions if that doesn't work. Here's the link: http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=UX31A&s=369&hashedid=NOzAOtadWyTCclA9&os=&no=1773

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 9:41:42 PM PDT
There is an Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver update (dtd July 17th), available for download at support.asus.com for this model.

Does it fix the N issue?

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 7:18:32 AM PDT
Brandt says:
Is there a slot to upgrade or replace the memory? also, can the HD be replaced? Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (312 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $749.00