Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and not worth even that much, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNKL07 Seiko 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Blue Dial (Watch)
I probably have 10 watches. Stem-winders, battery-powered, and automatic watches (like this one). Actually, this is a replacement for my favorite watch which was also a Seiko five automatic. My original Seiko five lasted for 45 years, and now looks fairly beat up, but was the most trouble-free watch I've ever had. I could never remember to replace dead batteries, so they would sit and corrode my watch. Not so with an automatic. There is no battery. This is the primary feature that sold me. The fact that it is automatically wound. The next most important feature is the incredibly luminous dial. I suppose I could have had my old Seiko five refurbished, but at $65, buying a new watch ought to be a no-brainer.

To me, the midnight blue dial is a thing of beauty. The weight and size of the watch are perfect for me. This watch is made in Malaysia, and has a clear display backing.

However, it does not run as long as my old Seiko if not on my wrist, the day/date indicators haven't always moved forward as they ought to, and when it does run for a prolonged period, it runs fast enough to require resetting every week or two.

I have gone back to the old Seiko. A watch is not a watch if it is not reliable. Yours could run flawlessly, but here, I am reviewing THIS watch.

two stars, rather than one, because your watch, when it arrives, might be flawless. I would hope so from a name like Seiko.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2015 8:57:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2015 9:08:12 AM PDT
Odmand says:
Do you mind being a little more specific about the "not run as long as my old Seiko" and "fast enough to require resetting every week or two"?
I am not going to comment on the former, as you are comparing to a watch built 45 years ago, when mechanical auto-winders were the king. And I suspect you paid a lot more for that watch 45 years ago (factoring in inflation).

On the latter, how much do you have to adjust the time in a week or two? A minute or two? Five minutes? 10 minutes? Even Swiss-built mechanical watches costing hundreds more can run fast or slow for up to 20 seconds a day from the factory, which is considered the norm for mechanical watches, and that's about 5 minutes every two weeks. My one-year-old Seiko 5 runs one minute to a minute and half fast every two weeks out of the box, and I consider myself lucky. These watches can be easily regulated/calibrated by adjusting a lever in the watch, but I am not sure you want to pay the watchsmith to do that on a $60 watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2015 10:19:17 AM PDT
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have moved on with that watch. Still have it, it may serve some use in the future maybe, but as I remember, it was a little worse than your watch: 5 minutes+ a week or two. As you say, I would probably have to adjust it myself, rather than pay a watchmaker. Not a great option.

The big issue was the short amount of unattended time it would last without my having to get all concerned for finding it, and getting it wound up again. It was pretty, but it was a lot of work and worry about how reliable it would be for my use. Cellphones tell time too, and accurately, so I guess it was just too much work for too little precision.

So a part of my complaint is against watches in general, but this watch would only be semi-working jewelry. Defeated the purpose of 'self-winding' in my case.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›