5.0 out of 5 stars The detail is there, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX AW110 Wi-Fi and Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
Please don't take the how many stars too seriously as this is my initial review.
I use two DSLR cameras with super high grade lenses from Canon and Olympus so I am picky, I will attempt to be fair and only compares apples to apples and not oranges :)

Pros:
- Great build feels solid yet light.

- Fast shooting rate (though you might wanna slow down as sometimes focus will be off. This is common with all point and shoots... If you shot pictures like machine gun, a few of the pictures will come out blurry)

- As someone who has had point and shoot from Sony,Fuji Olympus and Samsung. I can say with confidence that this camera produces the best amount of detail that I have seen from a recent small sensor point and shoot. The only two cameras that produce cleaner detail in portrait pictures are probably the Nokia Pureview and my very old Samsung i85 (in Macro mode) neither of which are Tough or waterproof. For those of you who shot with DSLRs and use RAW format. JPEG images coming out of this camera can be quiet nicely enhanced and sharpened with Photoshop using inverse Gausian blur and a High pass filter as Nikon has been very smart not to over process their images. The same could not be said about the Olympus TG820 and Fuji xp50 that I tried and returned.

- Tons of generic battery available for real cheap.

- Easy to navigate and intuitive commands and buttons.

Cons

-The video quality is about equal to the rest of the competition but not as good as the latest Sony point and shoots.

- Having a RAW format option would have been nice

- Like all newer point and shoots this camera has too many Mega pixels for its sensor size. If Nikon would have keep it at around 8 or 9 MP, picture quality would have been even better.

In conclusion

If you are in the market for a rugged design, this camera is a solid contender.

Update 03-26-2013

I am really pleased with this camera's overall performance. Its a keeper and I am upgrading my rating to a 5 star

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 4:26:15 PM PST
NH says:
Hi Ali,

I recently want to get a waterproof camera. I read many reviews and comparisons , now I am on the fence about Nikon AW110 and Panasonic TS5. I really like the long shutter speed feature on TS5, cuz I want to take some starry pics (if the the image quality not that bad). So, can u upload some sample pics of AW110.

Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2013 5:41:30 AM PDT
Justine K. says:
Ali,
I don't have either product but this one has WiFi so it can connect to Facebook and your cell phone. Just saying!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 1:53:27 AM PDT
Ali Roustai says:
Nice ! I still plugging my sd card :) gotto try the wifi option.

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 11:14:15 AM PDT
D.A. says:
Any leaking issues so far?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2013 8:38:53 PM PDT
Ali Roustai says:
You know, I caught this camera because my Nokia Pureview fell in water and broke. I don't plan to take it into water.However I do really like the peace of mind that I have with this camera.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 11:49:52 AM PDT
John Tate says:
Thanks for the review. Got an AW110 today.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2013 1:45:34 PM PDT
Nikki says:
Can anyone tell me if this camera has the selective color or color splash option?

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 3:24:34 PM PST
MBVECO says:
Your review did not mention its underwater performance. Have you used it underwater?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2013 2:18:51 AM PST
Ali Roustai says:
I never took it under water. I just wanted the extra protection in case it fell into water.

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 10:18:27 PM PST
M. Whitney says:
Just checking in... Are you still pleased with this camera? Have you used it under water yet?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›