384 of 398 people found the following review helpful
The detail is there
, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX AW110 Wi-Fi and Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
Please don't take the how many stars too seriously as this is my initial review.
I use two DSLR cameras with super high grade lenses from Canon and Olympus so I am picky, I will attempt to be fair and only compares apples to apples and not oranges :)
- Great build feels solid yet light.
- Fast shooting rate (though you might wanna slow down as sometimes focus will be off. This is common with all point and shoots... If you shot pictures like machine gun, a few of the pictures will come out blurry)
- As someone who has had point and shoot from Sony,Fuji Olympus and Samsung. I can say with confidence that this camera produces the best amount of detail that I have seen from a recent small sensor point and shoot. The only two cameras that produce cleaner detail in portrait pictures are probably the Nokia Pureview and my very old Samsung i85 (in Macro mode) neither of which are Tough or waterproof. For those of you who shot with DSLRs and use RAW format. JPEG images coming out of this camera can be quiet nicely enhanced and sharpened with Photoshop using inverse Gausian blur and a High pass filter as Nikon has been very smart not to over process their images. The same could not be said about the Olympus TG820 and Fuji xp50 that I tried and returned.
- Tons of generic battery available for real cheap.
- Easy to navigate and intuitive commands and buttons.
-The video quality is about equal to the rest of the competition but not as good as the latest Sony point and shoots.
- Having a RAW format option would have been nice
- Like all newer point and shoots this camera has too many Mega pixels for its sensor size. If Nikon would have keep it at around 8 or 9 MP, picture quality would have been even better.
If you are in the market for a rugged design, this camera is a solid contender.
I am really pleased with this camera's overall performance. Its a keeper and I am upgrading my rating to a 5 star
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you?