138 of 141 people found the following review helpful
Best Edition Of A Manga I've Ever Seen,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind Box Set (Hardcover)
The Viz's "Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind Box Set" is just about perfect and everything that a manga edition should aspire to be. I've decided to upload a series of photos so you can appreciate for yourself what a treat this edition is. The package consists of 2 large hardcovers books inside a beutiful and strong slipcase, including a small color poster. Nausicaä was previously published in 7 softcover volumes and is now collected in full in this 2 HC books. So for all of that, the $60 price tag (much less with Amazon discount), is an unbeatable value.
Both story and art is by Hayao Miyazaki, that's right, HAYAO MIYAZAKI: the man who co-founded the internationally acclaimed Studio Ghibli, one of the greatest genius of animation this world have ever seen. The art is simply amazing, the storytelling is brilliant, the pages are full of life and detail and magic.
* * * * * These are the highlights of the edition * * * * *
- The format is over-sized (like Akira's volumes), with a trim-size much larger than the one we are used to for mangas: the books are 10,4 by 7,3 inches. This gives you a much better appreciation of the art, and that's exactly what you want, being Miyazaki's pages so full of detail and wonder.
- Book I is 568 pages long and Book II is 552 pages long, adding up to 1120 pages worth of Miyazaki's art!
- Both books are hardcovers with sewn-binding, which allows for a very comfortable reading experience. It's a real pleasure to be able to enjoy a manga in HC format, as opossed as softcovers, it feels like a real luxury.
- The printing quality is excellent, with sharp line-art and a delicate sepia tone ink.
- The paper quality is beautiful and very apt for the reproduction of art. The paper stock is NOT glossy; it's traditional manga paper stock, but it isn't flimsy or cheap at all. It's really nice and proper for the edition.
- Each volume includes 8 pages in color at the beginning of the book. This pages are printed in glossy paper stock and the art reproduction is beautiful, with vivid colors and outstanding detail.
- The slipcase is very solid and well-build, and the books fit perfectly inside of it.
- The box set also includes a small two-sided color poster (16,5 x 11,7 inches), which is a very nice adition to the package.
- The reading order is from right to left, respecting the original page layout.
In conclusion, the Nausicaä deluxe box set is the best edition of a manga I've ever seen. I really hope Viz and other publishers release critically acclaimed titles like Akira or Vagabond in deluxe editions just like this one.
Tracked by 3 customers
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 6:17:36 AM PST
L. Wilder says:
Thank you for uploading those photos! This looks like a gorgeous edition, and now I can't wait to get my hands on my own copy.
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:23:15 PM PST
You are welcome! Hope you get your copy soon and start enjoying it
Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:52:54 PM PST
The Toxic Frog says:
I actually have all 27 volumes from VIZ that came out in the late 80's/early 90's. I'm curious if this is nothing more than all of those in 2 hardcover books. Either way $38 is a steal and should find it's way under many Christmas trees...
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:20:09 AM PST
Didn't know about such an edition, it seems it's from way before I started collecting! As far as I know this Box Set collects all the material published in the previous 7 volume edition of Viz from 2004.
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:08:20 AM PST
The Toxic Frog says:
Actually there was a 5 vol./ 27-issue series from 1988-1996 ( http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=nausi
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:18:03 PM PST
Definitely didn't know about them. The content will probably be the same but with a different presentation. I'm really glad you liked my review, it's always a pleasure to spread the word with fellow collectors!
Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:30:38 AM PST
Andre M. Yoder says:
Thanks for the review. I just ordered my own copy. One question, does this hardcover edition include all the maps and diagrams that were in the front of each of the seven volumes of the paperback set? Thanks again.
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:05:56 PM PST
I personally don't have any of the previous releases, but this set does contain maps and diagrams.
Nice review Mareasy, and yes, wouldn't it be a dream if AKIRA came in such a collection!
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 7:03:14 AM PST
Hi Andre, thanks and sorry for the delay, I didn't have the boxset with me to check.
Vol. 1 contains the Torumekia War Front Map and two Torumekia maps, all of them in colour. Vol. 2 also contains one map and a diagram of the growth of Mushigoyashi. I don't know how they were presented in the paperbacks, please let us know if there are missing maps or diagrams when your boxset arrives
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 7:04:50 AM PST
Thanks Norbie, let's cross our fingers for more high quality manga deluxe editions!