3.0 out of 5 stars Durable Camera, Easy to Use, Photo Quality Below Par..., September 15, 2006
This review is from: Fisher Price Kid-Tough Digital Camera for Boys (Toy)
My husband and I are both avid shutterbugs, and my almost 3 year old son really wanted a camera to take his own photos. We had a few gift cards that we had not used, so we invested in this camera. He was very excited to get it and uses it often, he especially likes to take it on Photo Safaris with us. It is also a hit in the neighborhood among all the kids who take photos like crazy with it.

Pros: Seems quite durable. Buttons are easy to use for him, while the batteries and sd card (optional) are easy to keep out of his reach. Photos download easily and cable is included in the kit. The optional SD card (I got a cheapie 512meg) adds storage for over 1000 extra pictures.

Cons: Does go through batteries quickly- but we use rechargables anyway for most things. Photo quality is TERRIBLE- and I just don't mean terrible because we are photographers ourselves, I mean TERRIBLE in general. The photos are most frequently blurry and dark- even with flash or bright sunlight. Also, I don't think they would even print well at 4x6 but we have not tried. We will have to upgrade him to a cheap digital point and shoot once he is able to treat this camera nicely. (I will upload a few sample shots to customer photos.) Another con is the discard photo button is right there on the back- great for them to erase the photo they just took without realizing it.It also makes a rather annoying noise when any button is pushed- which encourages the button pushing to go on and on and on.

OVerall, the camera performs as expected, just wish the photo quality was better, but again, this is a camera for my preschooler so I should not expect too many megapixels I guess.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2006 11:46:35 PM PDT
This review was a great example of how I feel about the camera.

Posted on Nov 22, 2006 9:18:04 AM PST
Thanks for posting the pictures. I think they help illustrate the difference in opinions of people about what constitutes a 'awful' picture.

The picture you listed as "grainy, washed out, and harsh" was about what I expected from a cheap kids camera. It looked OK to me. You have to remember that this is a KIDS camera. It's not the resolution of the picture that they care about, it's the subject.

Posted on Nov 29, 2006 12:12:39 PM PST
I too thank you for posting the pictures. Opinions of good and bad differ so greatly. Frankly, the outdoor pictures looked pretty good. The one you listed as grainy and washed out was certainly not the best photo I've seen, but I don't think a young child will care in the least. The purpose of this is not to take professional quality images - it's for the child to have fun and leave mom & dad's camera alone. Actually your pictures helped very much to tip the scale toward my decision to get one (IF I can find it!).

Posted on Jan 1, 2008 6:24:04 PM PST
I don't think you understand that this camera is for children hence the noises and OK photo quality. I would not go as far as saying the pictures look terrible. My son has this camera and the pictures look plenty fine. He is also 2 years old and knows NOT to hit the delete button for photos he likes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (96 customer reviews)

$144.77