5.0 out of 5 stars The Samsung Galaxy S3; A review by a smartphone newbie., July 5, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S3, Blue 16GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
After years of sticking with my plain, but solid, flip phone, I decided to jump off the cliff and onto the smartphone bandwagon. I had held off on joining the masses because it seemed like every time I turned around there was a new and improved smartphone. Why waste the money when my phone will be obsolete by the time I get it out of the store? Then I heard about the up and coming Samsung Galaxy S3 (S3). After reading hours upon hours of reviews on the S3, all of a sudden I couldn't get my check card out of my wallet fast enough. If you are thinking about purchasing a smartphone, or are just looking to upgrade, I hope this review will help you reach the same opinion I did; The Galaxy S3 is the best phone in the... universe.

I'll begin by saying MASSIVE is the first adjective that came to mind when I opened my Samsung Galaxy S3 box. The display on the phone is an incredible 4.8" which, for me, coming from a standard flip phone, felt like what I would imagine upgrading from a standard 13" television to a 50" HD plasma T.V. would feel like. After the initial shock of the size wore off, the next thing I noticed was the gorgeous color. The S3 comes in two color choices; marble white and pebble blue. I had picked the latter, and let me tell you; I made the right choice. I also noticed that the phone weighed less than I had expected with a phone this large. In comparison to my old flip phone, the S3 has all the same basic buttons from volume control, an on/off switch and a main menu button. Some could say that the size of the phone makes it awkward or bulky, and I found it took me a few days to adjust to the size myself. However, after having played around with my new S3 for about a week now, I believe the benefits far outweigh any downsides to having a phone this large and, to further give credence to this opinion, I'll talk about the display, camera, and lastly, the video camera, which greatly benefit from the size of the Samsung Galaxy S3.

For starters, the resolution on the S3 is amazing. With a 720 x 1280 pixel display, the clarity of anything you do from the main menu on the phone is mind boggling. After I noticed the display, I decided to check out the picture quality. The Galaxy S3 has two different cameras; an 8 megapixel (MP) rear-facing camera, and a 1.9MP front-facing camera, both of which I find quite useful. For example, for every day pictures from facial shots , action shots to still portrait, I find the rear-facing camera to be the best fit. However, if I want to make sure I'm not smiling like a complete idiot, or have something stuck in my teeth, the front-facing camera comes in handy. Having a 4.8" screen is incredibly useful for knowing exactly what's going to turn up in your picture. Furthermore, the cameras on the Galaxy S3 come with many different features, one being the 'burst shot', which will rapidly take five pictures in a row, which really helps when you are trying to catch the split second your kid will smile while you are holding a camera. From what I have heard from friends, the camera perks on the S3 resemble other smartphone's camera options, so for potential migrating smartphone users, there shouldn't be much lost in translation if you decide to make the move to Samsung's Galaxy S3. On the other hand, if you're coming from a flip phone like I did, it will take a while to get adjusted to all the different camera options, but once you do, in my opinion, it's worth it in the long run. As far as video goes...

Let me start by saying I tried to find something bad, broken or annoying about the video options on Samsung's Galaxy S3. I searched but to no avail; the video on the S3 is simply perfect. First, with a 1080p at 30fps video camera, the quality is just as great as you will find on the best high definition T.V.'s on the market. For instance, I tried using the Skype application on my S3, so I could video chat with my daughter, who lives in California. The video quality was comparable, if not better, than what it is on my computer, which allows me to see my daughter even when I'm not at home in front of my computer. However, if I was forced at gun point to come up with something negative about the video aspect of the S3, I would say, that at 30fps, you may experience some slight lag if the objects/people you are recording move too quickly. I only experienced this lag once, when recording moving cars while running, and it was hardly noticeable. Overall, Samsung's Galaxy S3's video camera is a strong selling point to take into consideration when looking for a new phone.

In summary, I'm very happy with the fact that I purchased a Galaxy S3. The huge size of the screen, along with the resolution, is incredibly useful when texting, emailing or playing games. The cameras on the S3 come in handy in pretty much any situation I can think of, so it's nice to be prepared for anything and everything. The video camera is easily the best thing about the S3 in my opinion, and it was the final thing that helped me to decide to purchase a Galaxy S3.

I hope this review helps those of you out there who are looking at possibly purchasing a Galaxy S3. I realize there are other specifications and options that could be covered in a review, but I chose to focus on the main things that are important to me, and I assume to some others, when looking for a new phone. Buying a smartphone is not an easy decision, especially with today's economy, so remember to take into account the additional data costs that you will have when purchasing any smartphone. Last night, I made the decision to write this review, because it's rare when I have few, if any, complaints about a gadget I decide to buy and, with the Galaxy S3, that's exactly what I bought.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]