Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Ramirez UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

3.0 out of 5 stars A step in the wrong direction, April 30, 2007
This review is from: The Batman: The Complete Third Season (DC Comics Kids Collection) (DVD)
Well, last night I finally completed my tour of The Batman by finishing Season 3 (directly after having finished 2 and 1). As others have stated, Season 3 pales in comparison to Season 2 but not for reasons expected. The writing actually matures a little bit over the past two volumes. We are treated to a more in depth look at the relationship between Bruce and Alfred as well as Batman and Catwoman's love/hate thing. Unfortunately that is where the pluses end- The first flaw is a total overuse of Joker. With a rogue gallery as deep as Batman's, there is really no excuse for reusing an enemy over and over like this. Granted, he has his humorous moments, the fact is Joker brings too much chaos and unpredictability to the formula for me. He is interesting in small dosage but The Batman starts to feel like a broken record with how many times the Joker's ridiculous schemes get squashed.

Next up is the made-up villains. Prepare to witness a fair share of either made up rogues or very generic ones brought into the light in Season 3: Krank, Prank, and Gearhead all make appearances before staples such as Ras, Two Face, and Scarecrow.

However, none of these problems compare to the glaring annoyance of Batgirl. As others have said in their reviews, season 3 introduces Batgirl as a self-appointed sidekick (oddly enough, before Robin). While the voice work is nice and the setup with Barb Gordon's ties to Poison Ivy are interesting enough, it doesn't take long to develop a deep hatred for the whole Batgirl character. This happens mainly because suddenly the show's writers switch into a mode where Batman finds himself in sticky situations where only a sidekick can save the day. What's worse is that Batgirl is given far too much credit (she even has her own getting-dressed into costume animation sequence) only to end up requiring Batman to save her from certain doom. Also as a result, all traces of both detective Yen and Chief Rohas are vanquished for Barbara and her commissioner father. Gordon is very well done but believe me when I say that Batgirl will be pushed down the viewer's throat almost continuously throughout this entire season.

The tragedy is that the few episodes of this season that are on track (and don't throw Batgirl at us) are fairly brilliant, maybe even better then the best offerings of season 2 (such as Fistful of Felt and The Icy Depths). Unfortunately these are the minority to endless Joker nonsense and Batgirl saving/ ruining the day.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2007 8:20:37 AM PDT
MISSterio says:
I guess when you're not a fan to Joker (which I've been for a long while now) he can grow on you, and not in a good way. It doesn't bother me, but I know it bothers other people. Also, I just have to say that you are very right about Batgirl's annoyance in the show. I wish she acted more like her older counterpart in THE BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, where she dons her sleek, black outfit and yellow cape.
I hear/read they're making a season 5, where Batman will be out of Gotham City more; taking on more foes that Superman does (also meeting more of the Justice League team). It makes me wonder what people will think of that...

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2007 7:26:23 PM PDT
ONENEO says:
MISSterio:

Definitely well said. Yours was one of the reviews I had taken seriously before devoting to all three seasons of The Batman. I wound up somehow missing all of the 4th season so I'm not sure how it compares to the first three, but very interesting news on a prospective 5th! I will likely keep up with this incarnation as these seasons are released.

Justice League is another work that would be nearly impossible to trump; it will be interesting, to say the least, to see what these guys come up with. I'm knee deep in the Batman Beyond boxed sets now that I've exhaused The Batman, Batman T.A.S. & Justice League. I would be interested to read your reviews on some of these sets as well.

Posted on Dec 3, 2007 8:51:45 PM PST
Simon says:
Very nice review. I was about to write my own but this pretty much sums up everything I wanted to say, and in the kind of tone I wished to convey it. I actually like this incarnation of Batgirl better than the TNBA version, but she does come off forced. I've heard there were corporate requests to keep Joker and Penguin heavily spotlighted. Season 4 worked around this by putting them in useful supporting roles as a way to highlight new villains.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›