Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Most important thing to know: it works!, December 18, 2012
This review is from: The Dash Diet Weight Loss Solution: 2 Weeks to Drop Pounds, Boost Metabolism, and Get Healthy (Hardcover)
In 3 months, I have lost 23 pounds, gone down 5 points in my body fat percentage, and lost 4.5 inches from my waist...after struggling with my weight for decades. (I received a copy of the of the plan guidelines and sample menus in September through the author's Facebook group.) In addition to the outer changes, my cholesterol level dropped to 121, with a commensurate reduction in triglycerides and LDLs.

I do know a little bit about nutrition (what heavy person doesn't?). I wanted a plan that followed sound nutritional guidelines and had some research to back it up. This one does. Marla does a great job of explaining why the things I learned about nutrition in my 20s aren't working for me in my 40s, and then lays out, clearly, concisely, and with menus and recipes, what *will* work...and it did. I was nervous about cutting down on grains--I attempted the Atkins plan a few times and it just made me sick--but I felt fine. The menu plans are satisfying and tasty, and Marla has really helped me to re-frame the way I think about food.

The 2-week turbocharge is a great way to kick off the plan: all the claims about resetting your body's expectations proved true for me. In the 3 months I've been on this plan I started a new job; celebrated my anniversary, Halloween, my birthday, & Thanksgiving, and now find myself surrounded by all the Christmas treats...and still find it easier than it's ever been to make conscious choices about what I eat.

I hope you find this helpful...if you've been fighting this battle for decades and began to think nothing was ever going to work, give this an honest shot. It may change your life. My weigh-in this morning was the lowest it's been in ten years.

Gotta go...exercise class starts soon!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 11:47:10 AM PST
arcdude says:
You say you were nervous about cutting down on grains. The DASH diet recommends lots of grains, as long as they are whole grains.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:49:36 AM PST
S. Ashcraft says:
I think she is referring to the carb cutting inthe 1st two weeks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:04:30 PM PST
Aunt Sam says:
Have you read this specific book yet? It gives a different perspective on eating grains.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:14:34 AM PST
CH says:
Whole grains are still carbs and although they digest a bit more slowly they will still spike blood sugar to some extent. My blood sugar did NOT change when I switched to whole grains.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 4:29:48 PM PST
Jill Vorpahl says:
hi, i just heard about this eating plan and was wondering if there is a link to print out the actual diet before i purchase the book...thanks! jill from dallas

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 7:52:06 AM PST
Aunt Sam says:
I'm not aware of anywhere that you can access the plan in this book...what about getting the book from your library? But if you're like me, you'll want to have your own copy anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 3:21:07 PM PST
Yes, you can find a good bit about it at this web site including sample menus and pages from the book. Maybe enough to get started.
If not, check out the U.S. News information and links to the original DASH diet documents (which can be downloaded free). They aren't for weight loss, but also give you the basic ideas.
I just bought the book and started. So far so good. (3 days in!)

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 4:54:42 PM PDT
annika700 says:
How can this be a review of the book indicated? The book was published in hardcover on December 18, 2012, and this review is December is also December 18, 2012 and claims to have lost weight--what in one day? Did you have access to this book prior to the publication date? I don't get it? How does a book get tons of rave reviews on the exact day it is released in hard cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 6:14:56 PM PDT
From the review:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 7:28:28 PM PDT
my 2 cents says:
Congrats! I'm happy this plan is working well for you. I noticed in the TOC it included Vegetarian. But not being able to see what it says about it, I'll ask you, is this Vegetarian / Pescatarian friendly (provide Vegetarian or Fish options in place of meat?)? Thank you for taking the time to reply :o)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›