Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Young Adults - Parents Need to Read this Too!, February 7, 2008
This review is from: Thirteen Reasons Why (Hardcover)
I just finished this -- and I am telling you it was compelling. It should be required reading by anyone in high school or middle school -- or anyone who has a child in high school or middle school. Basically it tells of Clay Jensen, a high school student who receives a box of audiotapes narrated by a girl who he had a crush on, Hannah Baker, who has recently committed suicide. The book interweaves her words from the audiotapes with his comments and memories. It gives Hannah's reasons why she did what she did and names the people (who also are receiving audiotapes - each person is to mail them to the next person on the list) and why they contributed to what happened. It may have been something big, somewhat small, something seemingly innocent, something no so much. But it all leads up to Hannah not being able to cope by herself even when she reaches out for help. If anyone can read this and see themselves in it and make changes - or even better see someone else and reach out in compassion, this book will have a huge effect.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2011 9:35:04 PM PST
Dennis says:
I realize that I am commenting on a review you did in 2008, but I just thought I would let you know that here in St. Louis, this book is in fact required reading. In fact, my daughter brought it home from school and i picked it up and it sounded interesting to me. Three hours later I was chewing my nails and reading with delight! I finished it that day and will forever recommend this to whoever will want my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011 11:46:45 PM PST
That is great to hear, particularly given the nature of schools today. I hope more schools will do this. Did your daughter share any thoughts about it? Thanks so much for letting me know. Our town is sponsoring a "young adult read" via a grant. They purchased 5000 copies of the book to pass around and there will be discussion groups and an author visit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 11:30:42 AM PST
Dennis says:
She is a sweetheart little 15 yr old (my daughter) and isnt bothered by anything in school. But what she did say is that this book is referenced a lot in school now when there is a person being bullied. Someone will look at the bully and say " Reason number 14!". And usually the bully will become embarrassed or feel guilty and stop. I think it is great. Will the discussion group be via internet or in person? If its via internet, please send somekind of link. I also am anticapating Jay Ashers upcoming book. Hopefully it is as good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 5:12:15 PM PST
To read the local newspaper article go to ptleader dot com slash main dot asp I am glad to hear your daughter's comeback. I would say it should all be that way. But actually I wish there would me no comments said even needing responses like that. I know bullying has been an issue for years but not only does it seem more prevalent but the reactions seem more drastic. Perhaps because out society seems to want instant gratification these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 7:27:55 PM PST
Dennis says:
Thats really cool. It should be a great discussion when all those teens get together and talk about it. Thanks. And this is off the subject, but I can not figure it out. I hope you dont mind me asking. I am new to the Kindle and this disscussion site. I was wondering how you knew i commented on a review you made in 08. Did you get an email notification? I am not getting notifications and i called Kindle support and they said they dont do conformations. I am a little confused on how you are supposed to "discuss" books with other people if you have no idea if they commented. Any suggestions you could make would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 6:31:29 AM PST
Thanks for your review I found it very helpful, It makes me want to buy this book more than before, I have only one problem I thought maybe you can help me with! I prefer my books hardcover, but when i viewed the sample here it looks so bad!! the printing is very bad I could hardly read!! so I viewed the paperback version and it looks good, but i don't like paperbacks, so i thought about asking you is the hardcover printing as bad as they showing in the samples?!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 9:19:18 AM PST
Dennis says:
No. I read this book in hardcover and I didn't notice anything wrong with it. It must be something wrong the way they uploaded the sample onto the website. Happy reading. This is a great book. I started and finished this book in one day!

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 3:25:13 PM PST
Micaileigh says:
Hi I am wondering if this book would be appropriate for a 13 year old 7th grader..
Also would it be ok for a 7th grade book report?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2011 6:35:37 PM PST
Dennis says:
My daughter was in the eighth grade when she brought it home. I guess it would depend on mostly your opinion really because the topic is suicide. You should read it first. Trust me, once you start it, you wont put it down. And it is such a quick and easy well written book. You will enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 4:16:49 AM PDT