5.0 out of 5 stars My New Forever Watch, April 2, 2011
This review is from: Timex Men's T2H281 Easy Reader Silver-Tone Watch with Black Leather Band (Watch)
I'm far-sighted and I need to remove my glasses to see up close. With a typical digital watch checking the time was a two handed maneuver. This watch is EZ to read on the fly, with a big face and bold numbers. And lemme tell you about the backlight! Bright as heck, you could use it to flag down a jumbo jet (almost). I appreciate that it's thin, and most of the face is used for the watch, not for some slidey compass gizmo that makes you look like Chuck Yeager or Indiana Jones. Loud ticking? BFD. It's a watch. If it keeps you up at night you have bigger problems than a loud watch. On the nightstand it's gonna be loud, so put it on top of something soft, you'll be surprised at the difference. Thank me later.

The thing about analog: I'm not a runner or an aviator, so I don't need precision chronometrics. If I really need an alarm, I use my phone. I bet my phone has a stopwatch if I really need one. When I check the time, I don't need to know that it's 7:56:48, I just need to know that it's almost eight. Loosey goosey.

Analog vs. digital: My kids have trouble reading an analog clock, and they're almost teenagers. If I walk into the TV room and say, "It's time for bed, it's ten o'clock," they'll say, no, it's nine-fifty-eight!" The main thing is, Analog shows the time in a relative way, Digital in an absolute way. The idea of "a quarter past one" doesn't exist in digital time; it's 1:15. The hour is shown in an elapsing, progressing, way, quarters, thirds, halves, VISUALLY, like a sundial. You don't need to know if it's precisely noon, just that it's lunchtime. Digital reduces time to a technical statistic, like cholesterol. Your brain has to interpret it into Time-time: "It's 11:26, um, let's see, thirty four minutes to lunch," too much mental energy. A glance at an analog watch and you know it's time to start those gastric juices a bubbling. A digital watch is useful only on New Year's Eve and at the birth of a baby.

I wear a watch 24/7, sleeping, making whoopie, showering, changing the oil in my car. I like to be able to check the time in the middle of the night. "Thank God, it's only 3:30. Back to sleep." My main worry is about getting a tan line in the summer. But my life is relatively worry-free. I hope yours will be, and this watch will help.

Update: This watch works with the Men's Rubbertech (TM) Silicone Rubber Watchband Stainless Steel Deployment Buckle Black 18mm available on Amazon. Outstanding product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2011 6:32:44 AM PDT
Peter B. Lin says:
Nice review! I never thought about digital vs analog in that way.

Posted on May 24, 2011 2:25:25 AM PDT
Constantinus says:
I'm with you. I think we have to relax a little in this speeding life. Try to live life so that a glance at an analog watch is good enough, not check the minutes from meeting to meeting. Wishful thinking?

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 4:38:40 AM PDT
J. Rosenberg says:
I find it takes me less mental effort to process analog. Weird.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 8:18:01 AM PDT
A delightful review. I will be receiving mine today.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 12:20:58 AM PST
K in IA says:
I'm ordering one right now, which is about 3 a.m. in analog tock!

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 9:45:29 AM PDT
Jazzybee says:
Love this review. So witty! Thank for the laugh and the review. You made my day.

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 8:14:39 PM PDT
Roy Johnson says:
It's funny, when I see time presented in a digital format, in my mind I automatically convert that to how it looks on a clock with hands.

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 8:02:24 AM PDT
Gentleheart says:
Just an outstanding review! Thank you. You just sold a watch.

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 6:07:45 AM PDT
kontai69 says:
Beautifully written, insightful description of the benefits of analog watches over digital. I always prefer analog watches and clocks over digital.

Posted on Nov 9, 2014 6:27:32 PM PST
Anonymous says:
You are not a musician, either. With us, time most definitely IS absolute. Rehearsal starts at 8:00, not somewhere in the general vicinity of 8:00. If you show up at 8:02 to the rehearsal of a 150-piece marching band, then you've just wasted two minutes of 150 people's time. That's why I like this watch: it's accurate and doesn't let you down when you're on a schedule.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›