2,046 of 2,204 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars 1 Star reviews - Micro SDXC card unmounts itself in Galaxy S4 - Solution found - RMA card - Faulty card - instructions in review, August 5, 2013
This review is from: SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-064G-U46A [Old Version] (Personal Computers)
NOTE: please read the last update (scroll to the bottom) - I'm leaving this review as 1 star as it appears to help others who purchased and had a similar experience.

I give SanDisk 5 stars for customer service and 1 star for the product (for those manufactured in the past) For those newly manufactured products that contain the software ROM fix, I'd give the product 5 stars.

To all those who purchased this card due to all the great reviews.... and then used it in a Galaxy S4 (GS4) smartphone for storage, the solution to the problem is not one you can solve without returning the card to SanDisk for a replacement under warranty. Believe me I tried everything that the Google searches returned as solutions... formatting as exFAT, formatting in the GS4 then copying data to the card while in the phone etc.... nothing worked... and so now please stop pulling out your hair and hopefully you will get the same result which I hope to get soon (just RMA'd and will send it back tomorrow for a free replacement under warranty).

The problem (As confirmed from the SanDisk customer support rep when I asked specifically asked him):

- When used in the GS4, this card will unmount itself inadvertently (may be true only for cards manufactured before the ROM patch described below was implemented in manufacturing). This can cause the data to become corrupt (luckily was not my experience) and / or can be very frustrating as most of us are saving 13 MP camera pictures to the card (or MP4 movies that stop in the middle of the movie) and it unmounts when you view the picture in the gallery or worse, right when you take the picture (this was the issue I experienced).

- SanDisk knows about this issue. Again, SANDISK KNOWS ABOUT THE ISSUE AND WILL REPLACE YOUR CARD. Call them (info below) and they WILL take care of it under warranty. They have a good name for a reason and they want to keep it. (sorry SanDisk about the 1 star, but I thought it was the way to get the message out to those searching for a solution)

- The customer rep told me that SanDisk tried to work with Samsung to resolve the issue but Samsung refused to acknowledge a problem exists with this card and some of their phones (especially their flagship GS4 phones).

- The customer rep told me that to their knowledge the card works fine in regular cameras (not Samsung GS4 phones with cameras, obviously) and even worked fine in some phones from HTC etc. that could accommodate the 64 GB cards. Hence the 5 star ratings from others.

- The solution SanDisk came up with was to write a patch into the ROM of the card itself to specifically address the issue on Samsung GS4 phones (and maybe other Samsung phones like the GS3). I was assured that the new card I would get would work flawlessly. will see in about 3 weeks.

- I purchased my card from Amazon June 2013, so the ones currently being manufactured and the one I should get will have the new patch. However, as SanDisk manufactures in batches (like most of the industry), old batches of "unpatched" cards obviously exist in warehouses.

- I asked about a software patch I could download and was told it's not possible... hence the "hard coded patch" in the card's ROM

So... how to take care of the problem....

After speaking with the SanDisk US customer support (link and info below), this is what I learned and did.
Go to the SanDisk site

1) [...]
2) call consumer products support (this is the US no.) 1-866-SANDISK (726-3475)
3) Tell them that the card is unmounting itself in your GS4 (I assume this is also a problem experienced by GS3 owners too)
4) They will then confirm your information, approve your return (10-15 min approval window by mine was basically instantaneously), and then send you emails with a UPS return label and instructions.
5) BTW, they also asked if I had a magnifying glass to ID the serial no. on the card, but I didn't and couldn't read it myself (those numbers are super small printed into the plastic... don't believe me? take a look yourself.) I told the rep I couldn't read them and he said no problem, they would process without the serial no. I assume this is because they send you a new replacement card only when they receive your card you send in. Makes sense.

Well, that's it. Problem (hopefully) solved. Let's see in 2-3 weeks. The rep was super nice about it and seemed like they were all too familiar with the problem. KUDOS TO SANDISK FOR TAKING CARE OF IT... however, it would be nice if there was some type of communication / notice of the issue besides Google info sources, forums etc. I spent hours, maybe a couple of days total hours worth, thinking it was an issue with my phone / my data transfer. oh well, that's how it goes.

I really hope that this review helps some of you out there with the same problem as me. GOOD LUCK!!

(btw, I'd give the card 5 stars if this problem was solved in the patched ROM of newer cards as the data transfer speeds are awesome on the card (tested transferring data via a card reader hooked to my computer)... if the data transfer / remaining mounted in the GS4 issue never existed (pre-patch of ROM, of course))

UPDATE: 08/17/2013 - All went well with the return of the SanDisk Storage card. UPS shipping took about 2 days from when I sent it, SanDisk verified the warranty claim 1 day later and 5 hours later that same day, my replacement card had been shipped. waiting on the new card now, but expect to test it out very soon (early next week). will update the post after testing out the new card. Just as a reference, I've been using a 32GB Micro SD HC SanDisk card in the GS4 since having shipped the 64GB card. Obviously it's a different card and not the Micro SD XC kind. Other than a bit slower access speeds to the card, absolutely zero problems.... well if you don't count that it's basically filled up, hence why the 64GB option is great on the GS4. So it proves the point on the problem with the early build Micro SD XC 64GB cards.

I'm happy to see that my review has helped some others out there. Good luck to you in your warranty claim. my experience with SanDisk customer support has been excellent so far.

Update: 08/21/2013 - Received the new replacement SanDisk Storage card just a few days ago (shipping back to me once they agreed it was defective was a very short time window). Have had it running in the Galaxy S4 for a few days now without any jumps, stutters or card unloading in the middle of picture or video taking. Card seems to work flawlessly as the SanDisk Rep mentioned it would. One would think it's such a short time to test after a few days of use, but if this were not fixed already it would have dismounted in the first 45 minutes... that's how often and how fast it was occurring. so it would seem the problem is solved. The new SD card makes the phone even more responsive when moving between pictures in the gallery and performing other tasks like copying files to the card. Thanks SanDisk! Unless I update this review by next week, you will know that the problem has been fixed.

Good luck to those with similar problems as we now know how to get it fixed thanks to SanDisks great responsive customer service.

Update: 08/31/2013 - This is the last update to this review just to "close the loop". The new replacement card from SanDisk has been running flawlessly for about 2 weeks now. I have not experienced any of the initial problems. SanDisk really did fix the issues in the new batch of cards.

Update: 12/09/2013 - The card has been running in my GS4 flawlessly since replacing it around Aug 21st. Pretty good track record so far (~ 3.5 months) so it appears to be fixed with the newly manufactured (replacement) cards.

For those that have left comments that I should change the rating upwards now that the issue is fixed (see my addition at the beginning of this review)... When searching for a solution to a problem with a purchased product, most people start at the 1 star reviews to see what others have experienced. This is especially true for products with a lot of reviews (this is what I did in the beginning with this product). Therefore I think leaving it at 1 star and adding the comments at the beginning should clarify the review.

Thanks to review commenter "Da Shocker" for his input. I think he sums it up very well when it comes to the value of files stored on media like this:

"One more thing.. to those not happy with the one star rating by this person go ahead buy one. Take tons of pics vids and save some music on there then when the card crashes come back and give it a five star. A card cost $50-$100 pictures from a vacation or family event are priceless.. "

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 119 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2013 11:07:01 PM PDT
jbwam says:
Thanks! Let us know how it goes.

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 10:16:46 PM PDT
S. Alvis says:
This was exactly what I was looking for. I did exactly what you did just before I found this post because I did read about the bad batch. I'm currently waiting for the reply to the serial and info I sent them. Nice to know I don't have to pay to ship it to them. Hopefully all goes well for us both.

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 7:25:12 PM PDT
jbwam says:
If the Sandisk is an Ultra, and maybe if not, better read the reviews on them, too, and keep good backups. Good Luck!

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:18:35 PM PDT
M. Davlin says:
This is a VERY GREAT review seeing as I had mostly the same issue BUT here's where my doubts comes in... I got the Gs4 in early may and still have it now (sept. 28) and I had my SD card (SanDisk MicroSD/microSDHC (NO SDXC) with adapter 32gb) since I got my S4 and it worked great... until last night.. I just received the unmounting problem last night RIGHT AFTER I transferred 75% of my apps to it in order to prepare for the Note 3 coming out... So apparently the heightened activity I did last night messed with something and now my S4 NOR my Laptop can read it. It's as if it's not even in when it clearly is.

SO my questions are, when did SanDisk start this "new" updated version sale in their newer products? Should I be good if I buy this one we are commenting on now? Lastly, will it also be good in my new Note 3 coming Oct. 10th?

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:19:32 PM PDT
M. Davlin says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2013 10:01:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2013 10:55:05 PM PDT
jbwam says:
First let me say that I have read multiple times, to never buy the non-retail (never Amazon frustration free, etc.) packaging especially on something like this, since neither you, nor the seller, including Amazon, know if they are fake. I hold this as a major rule, now, after getting some Amazon USB sticks previously. Guess they are ok, but I believe that nobody knows who put them in the cardboard, and glued it shut. I could do it. Frustration free repackaging?

So, Just 2 days ago, I was in my local Staples store, looking at the Sandisk ultra micro SD 32GB. There were 2 different packages.

One package had the $25,000 chance to win at the top left, as one of the pics of this item on here, further down the pics has, with a copyright date on the bottom left back of 2012. It does not mention using in cell phones on the package that I can see.

The other package has copyright 2013, and has the Android robot, and goes to great lengths to push use in cell phones. There is a pic of that package type in the pics for this Amazon item, also.
In fact, it says Mobile Ultra, and gives an App (see the pic). Looks like this is the newest, but I was told by Sandisk about a month ago, that the updated batch came out after March.
But there is no real way to know what you're getting. Call 1-866-sandisk (726-3475) and ask, then return it to them as failing, to get the new one. I think they can tell somehow if you have the new batch.

Otherwise, anybody know if the new 2013 packaging is always the new batch? Guess Sandisk support knows.

And has anybody gotten the new packaging when ordering from Amazon?

(I now see that the original review answered the question on how to know if it is the new card - look at the serial number on the card itself, though tiny. It now remains to call Sandisk to ask if the new packaging is always the new card, but what does it matter? Buy the card, and call them to find out if you have the old one and need it replaced,. You can also ask them if it is tested in the Note III, since nobody can answer that but Sandisk.) Good Luck!

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 11:08:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2013 11:13:56 PM PDT
jbwam says:
I just reread your review again, and...
Based on reports from many other reviewers, the card can fail months or over a year down the road, seemingly due to the unmount problem, or corruption.

And, I was under the impression that the 32GB failed fairly often, also, and based on what I mentioned above, the fact that your 32MB card worked well during your use of it, is no indication that the 32GB is ok. If I had any Sandisk Ultra Micro SD, and especially the 64GB AND the 32GB, I would surely contact Sandisk.
I doubt if they will announce the sizes involved in the failure, nor will they issue any kind of recall.
Thanks!

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 1:38:44 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 4:15:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2013 4:18:14 AM PDT
Hawkeye,
It's about getting a card that works. Lost pictures can be priceless. Do you know which cards work properly long term in Galaxy phones?
Your comment could be valid, but you've never gotten sucked into a situation that just snowballed, when you thought it would be finished with each step?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2013 3:41:10 PM PDT
gadget gal says:
I don't want to buy a card, at any price, and then begin to have worries about whether or not it will work tonight, tomorrow, next week. Why buy a known lemon? I will keep looking...
Recommendations on cards that are problem-free would be most welcome.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›