5.0 out of 5 stars BETTER than FLEXCARE, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX5351/30 Essence 5300 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush (Health and Beauty)
I"ve used Sonicare for years and I would not be without one. What a difference it makes! I've been through 3 models since and IMHO the Essence has been the best. IF you are trying to decide to buy the Essence over the newer Flexcare model read this review.

Six months ago I purchased a Flexcare believing that it would get my teeth cleaner and whiter. Here is what I found out:

1. The Essence cleans better, deeper. It has more vibration and power than my Flexcare. For this reason alone I am going back to the Essence. It takes my twice as long to get my teeth clean with the Flexcare. The Flexcare does NOT get my teeth cleaner.

2. The Flexcare is overpriced. It has a lot of bells and whistles most people will not use on a day to day basis. I never use the "gum care", "refresh" "sensitive" or "massage" functions. One reviewer said it best: Buy the more economical Essence and with the money you save buy extra brush heads.

3. The Flexcare's brush head are cheap, cheap, cheap and they keep coming off my handle while I'm brushing my teeth. The brush heads on the Flexcare slip over a flat post and with the slightest pressure the brush heads slips off. I've yet to find out if the problem is several faulty brush heads or the pin on my handle that the brush heads slip over. BTW, I never apply a lot of pressure when I brush my teeth either. I'm curious if anyone else has this problem.

4. The Flexcare is handle is slimmer, lighter and aesthetically looks nicer than the plain white heavier, chunkier handle of the Essence but, I LIKE the chunkier, more solid handle. The Flexcare is light weight and feels cheap but this is my individual preference.

5. Battery life seems to be comparable in both models. I've only had the Flexcare for 6 months though and I never leave the handle on the charger except to charge. This has allowed me to get 4 plus years from the battery.

Summary: The Essence is much more economical than the Flexcare. The Flexcare does NOT clean your teeth better than the other Sonicare models. You are paying more for the extra bells and whistles functions the average person will never use. I've never had a problem with the Essence being messy and getting "mold" in it like another reviewer mentioned BUT for some reason I've found the Flexcare messier when brushing my teeth but then when the brush head keeps falling off while I'm brushing my teeth this doesn't help.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2012 1:28:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 1:28:13 PM PDT
That Philips has messed up the Sonicare line is sad. It seems they are less interested in product quality and reliability than in turning over e-brushes. I want my old Sonicare back! Yes, even with the gunky head! -- which doesn't need to get gunky if you take proper care, which is not THAT hard to do.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 2:39:26 PM PDT
Thank you. I thought I was crazy. My e-series sonic are finally stopped charging after years of use. I purchased the flex care thinking its sonicare, costs more, has to be better right? I tried and tried but I just can't get my teeth clean with it. I am going to get the essence since I can't find the older model I had. It looks the same as the pictures of the essence. Please...I hope I can get that clean feeling back.

Posted on May 24, 2012 4:20:05 PM PDT
So, Amazon, is Philips listening?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›