5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coben Book I've Read So Far, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Stay Close (Kindle Edition)
I had pre-ordered this for my Kindle several months ago, and I had cleared the deck of my reading material two days before the release as, after all, I didn't want to be in the middle of reading something when it was released.

It was more than well-worth the wait, and probably one of the better Harlan Coben books I have read.

Coben does his usual job with his non-Myron Bolitar series with twists and turns, several things going on at once, then weaving it all into one big plot line: just when you think you have it figured out he hits you with a baseball bat, takes a hard right turn, and brings in a new plot twist that you didn't see coming that leave you with an "a-ha" moment.

One thing that makes Coben stand out (to me at least) is how he can quickly get you into the head of not only the main character, but the supporting cast as well. I don't know how he does it, but you can personally relate to most of the characters as some type of vision of yourself, or extensions of the circle of friends and acquaintances you have in your life.

Kindle purists will probably slam this book for being priced more than $9.99, but believe me when I tell you that you will get more than $9.99 worth of value with this book - I certainly did. Coben has solidified his mastery of the mystery and thriller genre with this title, and I would absolutely love to see more of these standalone thrillers than a continuation of the Bolitar series!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 88 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 6:54:21 PM PDT
book worm says:
I believe in self-censorship as there are things that I do not wish to read. I do not care about other people and what they read. My comments on this book related to a question by someone else who wanted to know if there was an abundance of inappropriate language. I think it was a fair question and I completely agree with it. Just because I do not want to read something does not mean that I care about what you read. That is your choice and I think you should read anything you want. If I do not want to read it, you should not care about that either. If I ask someone who has read the book if it contains material that I believe is inappropriate to have in my home, that should be my business. I appreciate your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 9:47:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 9:51:22 PM PDT
GM says:
Your opinion is respected here. For me, the use of language can be as colorful as it wants to be. At times, the judicious use of "profanity" can make a point louder and clearer. Sorry that you will miss out on much fine literature, but this is America, and you are certainly free to not read anything you please.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:35:36 AM PDT
Hehe...It's also Canada! Where I happen to live, but I agree with your point.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 12:55:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 4, 2012 12:42:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 3:32:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 2, 2012 7:45:14 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 3:38:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 2, 2012 7:45:15 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 5:54:42 PM PDT
book worm says:
Thank you for the "heads up". I appreciate it. I have a lot of friends in my social circle who specifically avoid bad language. I think that the people who gravitate to profanity would be bored with associating with me, but I have a lot of friends who I like and respect who believe the same way I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 6:00:52 PM PDT
book worm says:
Hello, BookLover. I honestly do not care about you and you can use any kind of trashy language that you like and you can read anything you want. If someone is kind enough to tell me about authors who do not need to descend into garbage, I appreciate that. I would guess that you and I have very little in common, and that is okay. Read what you want, say what you want. Isn't it nice to live in a free country?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 6:30:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 4, 2012 12:42:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 7:07:48 PM PDT
book worm says:
Yes, I have read a lot of Michael Connelly's books. I like the Harry Bosch stories. I do not recall any filthy language in his books either and if there is some, it cannot be much. Thank you for sharing.

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (533 customer reviews)

$7.99
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Michael Gallagher
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Houston, TX